NBC news anchor Brian Williams is suspended.

Closed Thread
Old 02-11-2015, 11:42 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Cool

Well, personally, I like Brian Williams... Not sure I really care that he said he was in a helicopter hit by an RPG or saw a body floating down Canal Street in New Orleans.

Bottonline: He was there, risking his life to report the news for us. I don't believe any of these embellishments materially changed any of the "facts" of the real story.

But, everyone has their own tolerance of such things....
Old 02-11-2015, 11:57 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,755 Times in 3,630 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by memason View Post
Well, personally, I like Brian Williams... Not sure I really care that he said he was in a helicopter hit by an RPG or saw a body floating down Canal Street in New Orleans.

Bottonline: He was there, risking his life to report the news for us. I don't believe any of these embellishments materially changed any of the "facts" of the real story.

I only wish I knew the word "embellishment" when I was 10.......maybe my mom would have had more tolerance for my lies.
Old 02-11-2015, 12:16 PM
Sage

I think it's fair to say this is a golfing community. Golfers that lie get no respect. Once you are sure someone writes down the wrong score and it's not an accident or bends the rules they get no respect. So when they say "I shot 3 over yesterday" everyone says "That's great" but thinks "Yea, right." There's no need to lie, it's only a game.

I wonder if golfing communities have a higher standard when it comes to honesty.

or better yet

I wonder if anyone says if they lie about the game of golf they probably lie about everything else.
Old 02-11-2015, 12:20 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by memason View Post

I like Brian Williams too, but he shoulda thought before he enlarged his story. We would have all understood if he was a butcher down on the corner.

And calling something an embellishment would never fly with an Ohio Catholic grandmother like the one who raised me. I think her ancestors were the questioners in the inquisition. But she was equally as kind. And people back then were raised to be good. Now that's hokey.
Old 02-11-2015, 12:41 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post
What do you expect would be the concerns of the network president? Of course she wants to keep her network #1. That's the goal of all the networks. And of course she would take the blame if they slipped in the ratings. That's her responsibility.

And why do you feel that the network was reluctant to deal with Williams? They suspended him for six months without pay. That sounds like they've dealt with him. Or maybe you think that he should just be fired. That may happen, in the future, but I would say that they've taken a first step.
Of course I know the content of the 1st paragraph. My mind set is from the perspective of the position of remaining number one is not a valid consideration when dealing with wrong doing and damage to the network's credibility.

I feel they were reluctant only because for me what he did was "cause" for dismissal. It is not worth tip toeing around the "cause" as it sends the wrong message to every other executive and employee in the organization. As difficult as it may be it is the responsibility of senior management to replace even a super star when they screw up and do what ever it takes to assure the performance is unaffected.

Almost any executive or star performer removed for "cause" would or could win a popularity contest....which has nothing to do with the issue at hand.

There are always varying opinions regarding removal of somebody for doing wrong. The above is my opinion and past experience.
Old 02-11-2015, 12:44 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,470 Times in 611 Posts

Watched BW on NBC news for years. Got tired of him/NBC a few months ago and switched to Muir and ABC newscast. Saw very little difference in content etc. But was OK for a change. Seems that so much of network news is entertainment, but understand that if it was simply hard news reading the majority of public would tune out.

Perfect resolution for Brian Williams career - when Jon Stewart leaves very popular The Daily Show on Comedy Central later this year... BW is the replacement. His personality, comedic edge, and tainted image would be a perfect fit. He has been a guest there many times and probably has a relationship with producers/execs. Could easily slide into that seat and bring some audience with him and not lose many of Stewart's followers. And it would pay big money as well as stature which would appeal to BWs ego.
Old 02-11-2015, 02:01 PM

Hubris. . .it never ends well.

I find it interesting that the suspension is without pay. Must have been a "pants on fire" clause in his contract.
Old 02-11-2015, 02:59 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,343 Times in 519 Posts

2 Buses are driving down road in Baghdad 20 reporters in each bus
Both buses come under heavy hostel fire only bus sustains damage the other escapes unscathed.
Is the bus that did not sustain damages any less of a news story or experience than their counterparts?

Time to let it rest

My hats off to Brian Williams for his life long dedication to what he loves
Old 02-11-2015, 03:00 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by karostay View Post
Both buses come under heavy hostel fire only bus sustains damage the other escapes unscathed.
Is the bus that did not sustain damages any less of a news story or experience than their counterparts?

Time to let it rest

And it paid well and it looks like he is retiring early. He may be looking for a home here soon.
Old 02-11-2015, 03:15 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by karostay View Post

Time to let it rest

Not a valid comparison. Turns out he wasn't even in the same group of helicopters - his was going in the opposite direction according to Stars and Stripes. Unfortunately his life long dedication seems to have been "embellishment"!
Old 02-11-2015, 03:18 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyatlast View Post
I just heard Meghan Kelly and Brit Hume discussing the post mortem on FNC, and from their tone and sympathy, you'd have thought Mother Theresa had just been crucified.

Gimme a break. The empty suit has been making a fortune and can retire on his NBC retirement investments and then write books and give speeches and keep making a fortune off gullible people.
I caught part of Meghan Kelly and Brit Hume and was just as shocked when Shephard Smith broke in on the O'Reilly show for breaking news about the suspension. After I thought about it I realized this is a big deal to these folks cause they are in the business and can relate. I don't think they realize this isn't even a blip on most of our radar screens. But then again maybe it is since we are all talking about it.
Old 02-11-2015, 04:55 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwann View Post
He's not a journalist. He's a news reader. My expectations of a true journalist are honesty, accuracy, confirmation of facts, authentication of sources and objectivity. Sadly, you don't get these things in network TV news anymore. Brian Williams is a "brand" and will show up somewhere again, "as always."
Why just network news? You don't get it in any tv news.

And he actually is, or was, a journalist. Apparently just not a truthful one. According to an article in the LA Times, he was always prone to exaggeration, but the people who worked with him and were able to keep him in line moved on when Comcast bought NBC.
Old 02-11-2015, 06:00 PM
Sage

When he returns after 6 months , if he really does, who can ever believe his reports again? Only those that want to. Not me. I think he's done as far as being a top newscaster.
Old 02-11-2015, 10:07 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,317 Times in 871 Posts

Don't trust any network news....their agendas are counter to what we need to know. The commercials (yes they are necessary) limit the stories they cover, the bias of the networks are so obvious that there are rarely opposing views presented. They have become news shapers not reporters. Ratings and personnel brand are their priorities.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 02-12-2015, 09:26 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,316 Times in 2,053 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedquick View Post
Brian Williams, now former-NBC news anchor has been suspended without pay for 6 months effective immediately because of his lies, distortions and exaggerated involvement in various national news stories. What are your expectations of journalists?
I like this man's take. It does seem like more and more news programs are more about entertainment rather than presenting the facts in various stories.

Brian Williams: Fake news, real news, and the state of journalism - CSMonitor.com
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.