PBS new show "Hinterland"

Closed Thread
Old 12-31-2018, 06:45 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts
Default PBS new show "Hinterland"

Did anyone else watch Hinterland on PBS last night. It's a show based on pure evil that had no physical violence .............. the violence was conveyed in the landscape, the old homes, the old attics, the rushing water at the waterfall. Difficult to understand because it is shot in Wales and many of the actors have (of course) Welsh accents ..... what else would they have if they shot in Wales!!!

I went to bed thinking about the difference in the way violence is portrayed ... if this was made in the USA it would have been filled with blood and thunder. I find both portrayals difficult to watch - one is in your face and the other is what your mind makes it.

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 12-31-2018, 08:52 AM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

In your face is easy for me. The in your mind type scares the bejesus out of me. Have yet to see Psycho because of this. I’m a wimp.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 12-31-2018, 08:56 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madelaine Amee View Post
Did anyone else watch Hinterland on PBS last night. It's a show based on pure evil that had no physical violence .............. the violence was conveyed in the landscape, the old homes, the old attics, the rushing water at the waterfall. Difficult to understand because it is shot in Wales and many of the actors have (of course) Welsh accents ..... what else would they have if they shot in Wales!!!

I went to bed thinking about the difference in the way violence is portrayed ... if this was made in the USA it would have been filled with blood and thunder. I find both portrayals difficult to watch - one is in your face and the other is what your mind makes it.
I agree with every thought in this post.

Both my husband and I are increasingly repelled by this kind of show, both with overt evil and open violence as we get older. We also do not like to watch anything with the occult. I have tried to watch Hinterlands but can't. And we can't understand a lot of the new and entertaining shows from Australia because of their accents.

Also many British shows have serious sound difficulties, they lower and raise volume unexpectedly. But I enjoy British humor and programming very much overall. The costuming and backgrounds are not equaled in American TV anymore.

Tags
violence, difficult, wales, pbs, shot

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.