Poll on how many days James on "Jeopardy" will win?

Poll on how many days James on "Jeopardy" will win?

Notices

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors




















» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements
View Poll Results: How many days can James on Jeopardy win?
18-20 1 3.23%
21-25 2 6.45%
26-30 3 9.68%
31-35 5 16.13%
36-40 1 3.23%
41-45 3 9.68%
46-50 3 9.68%
51-55 1 3.23%
56-60 1 3.23%
More than 60!!!! 11 35.48%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
  #21  
Old 05-04-2019, 08:05 AM
Taltarzac725's Avatar
Taltarzac725 Taltarzac725 is offline
Sage
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 39,817
Thanks: 191
Thanked 118 Times in 110 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdNoMore View Post
James has definitely changed the strategy of the game forever.

I voted for 41-45 wins, based on the thought that James will come up against someone that can stay close to him and will then go all in on the final question...whereas James doesn't quite bet enough.

In other words, I'm thinking that James will eventually be beaten by someone...he actually helped create.

Regardless of his final total wins or money, I'm guessing that he may find it harder for the legal books...to take his wagers in the future.

If James is betting large against the prevailing odds favorite, those who set those odds will start to question themselves...and may refuse to take his bet.

My buddy and I played golf in Vegas about 25 years ago, with a father & son team who set betting odds for the MGM. Listening to the depth of the minutiae they put into their calculations...was fascinating. They said that not only is it a lot of hard work and stress, but job security is only as good...as your recent previous success for the casino's book.

It wouldn't surprise me to read some day in the future, that James is forced to using a 'front person'...to place his bets.

Whatever happens, James and his wry humor, easy and cool demeanor...has been great to watch!
Looks like he has a Japanese mother which is kind of interesting. James Holzhauer’s Family: 5 Fast Facts You Need to Know | Heavy.com

Someone might beat him using his own techniques. That seems to have happened before?

  #22  
Old 05-06-2019, 02:57 PM
retiredguy123 retiredguy123 is online now
Sage
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 2,595
Thanks: 19
Thanked 46 Times in 36 Posts
Default

I think he will lose on the next one or two shows after the teacher's tournament. Otherwise, they would have postponed the tournament.
Sponsored Links
  #23  
Old 05-06-2019, 10:22 PM
Midnight Cowgirl Midnight Cowgirl is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 421
Thanks: 3
Thanked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
I think he will lose on the next one or two shows after the teacher's tournament. Otherwise, they would have postponed the tournament.

I don't think they would have postponed the teachers' tournament.
It was probably scheduled months in advance, well before James came on the scene.
The teachers may have been lined up before the tournament was even scheduled.
  #24  
Old 05-06-2019, 10:28 PM
Midnight Cowgirl Midnight Cowgirl is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 421
Thanks: 3
Thanked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taltarzac725 View Post
Looks like he has a Japanese mother which is kind of interesting. /heavy.com/news/2019/04/james-holzhauer-family/]James Holzhauer’s Family: 5 Fast Facts You Need to Know | Heavy.com[/B]

Someone might beat him using his own techniques. That seems to have happened before?

Thanks for posting that. Very interesting!
  #25  
Old 05-06-2019, 10:35 PM
Midnight Cowgirl Midnight Cowgirl is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 421
Thanks: 3
Thanked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdNoMore View Post
James has definitely changed the strategy of the game forever.

I voted for 41-45 wins, based on the thought that James will come up against someone that can stay close to him and will then go all in on the final question...whereas James doesn't quite bet enough.

In other words, I'm thinking that James will eventually be beaten by someone...he actually helped create.

Regardless of his final total wins or money, I'm guessing that he may find it harder for the legal books...to take his wagers in the future.

If James is betting large against the prevailing odds favorite, those who set those odds will start to question themselves...and may refuse to take his bet.

My buddy and I played golf in Vegas about 25 years ago, with a father & son team who set betting odds for the MGM. Listening to the depth of the minutiae they put into their calculations...was fascinating. They said that not only is it a lot of hard work and stress, but job security is only as good...as your recent previous success for the casino's book.

It wouldn't surprise me to read some day in the future, that James is forced to using a 'front person'...to place his bets.

Whatever happens, James and his wry humor, easy and cool demeanor...has been great to watch!
I agree with you that James may have a problem "making book" in the future.

However, I also agree that it would be so easy for him to use a shill for that purpose.

  #26  
Old 05-07-2019, 04:25 AM
retiredguy123 retiredguy123 is online now
Sage
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 2,595
Thanks: 19
Thanked 46 Times in 36 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight Cowgirl View Post
I don't think they would have postponed the teachers' tournament.
It was probably scheduled months in advance, well before James came on the scene.
The teachers may have been lined up before the tournament was even scheduled.
When Alex Trebek was interviewed on live TV recently, he said that the season is over and that he is off until September. So, I assume the teacher's tournament is already recorded and can be aired at any time.
  #27  
Old 05-07-2019, 06:42 AM
ColdNoMore's Avatar
ColdNoMore ColdNoMore is offline
Sage
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Between 466 & 466A
Posts: 8,949
Thanks: 0
Thanked 38 Times in 26 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
When Alex Trebek was interviewed on live TV recently, he said that the season is over and that he is off until September. So, I assume the teacher's tournament is already recorded and can be aired at any time.

That's an interesting point.

Jeopardy obviously could not know in advance, that they would have a 'James' making a run at history...and readjusting prerecorded shows shouldn't be that big of a deal.

So the fact that all the shows are prerecorded, they might have had the chance to rearrange the teacher's tournament...to show Jame's continued run until he loses.

However, the teacher's tournament, (which is played every year) and is slated for an entire two weeks...could really be screwed up if rescheduled.

Particularly, if James were to lose on say a Monday, which would then cause some scrambling by the show to get other contestants lined up earlier...than they were originally scheduled to be on the show.

I can see where the logistics of filling out a week, after James loses and before the teacher's tourney started...could cause some real problems.

So I guess I'm thinking, that staying with the original schedule... doesn't necessarily mean James is going to lose soon.

Then again, that may be exactly what happens.

One thing is for sure, all of the publicity and the anticipation of James coming back...sure isn't going to hurt the show's popularity.




As precedent I give you....



Who shot J.R.?




The we'll be told, that James' run...was just a dream.
__________________
Standing up for the underdog and against bullies...every chance I get.
  #28  
Old 05-07-2019, 07:21 AM
Taltarzac725's Avatar
Taltarzac725 Taltarzac725 is offline
Sage
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 39,817
Thanks: 191
Thanked 118 Times in 110 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdNoMore View Post

That's an interesting point.

Jeopardy obviously could not know in advance, that they would have a 'James' making a run at history...and readjusting prerecorded shows shouldn't be that big of a deal.

So the fact that all the shows are prerecorded, they might have had the chance to rearrange the teacher's tournament...to show Jame's continued run until he loses.

However, the teacher's tournament, (which is played every year) and is slated for an entire two weeks...could really be screwed up if rescheduled.

Particularly, if James were to lose on say a Monday, which would then cause some scrambling by the show to get other contestants lined up earlier...than they were originally scheduled to be on the show.

I can see where the logistics of filling out a week, after James loses and before the teacher's tourney started...could cause some real problems.

So I guess I'm thinking, that staying with the original schedule... doesn't necessarily mean James is going to lose soon.

Then again, that may be exactly what happens.

One thing is for sure, all of the publicity and the anticipation of James coming back...sure isn't going to hurt the show's popularity.




As precedent I give you....



Who shot J.R.?




The we'll be told, that James' run...was just a dream.
These are recorded in blocks I believe and not on separate days or not at least on each subsequent days of the week.
  #29  
Old 05-07-2019, 07:34 AM
DeanFL's Avatar
DeanFL DeanFL is offline
Veteran member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Gilchrist
Posts: 816
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Default

After (re) starting watching Jeopardy a couple weeks ago - was interested in the behind-the-scenes of the show. Googled and got this interesting video and article re Trebek & Co. Shows are taped 2+ months in advance. Bottom line - by now, in real-time - James is either out or a LOT more $$$ in his account. Only the show-folks, James, and others know. They are held to secrecy. That said, surprised that leaks don't happen...esp from an 'audience' member if James lost...

Alex Trebek behind the scenes of "Jeopardy!" - Business Insider
__________________
I have CDO. It's like OCD but all the letters are in alphabetical order - AS THEY SHOULD BE.
22 wins so far for James.
  #30  
Old 05-19-2019, 10:24 PM
Taltarzac725's Avatar
Taltarzac725 Taltarzac725 is offline
Sage
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 39,817
Thanks: 191
Thanked 118 Times in 110 Posts
Default 22 wins so far for James.

James returns to Jeopardy on Monday May 20, 2019.

James Holzhauer Tracker | Jeopardy.com

Last edited by Taltarzac725; 06-03-2019 at 06:51 PM.
Closed Thread

Tags
jeopardy, days, win, times, won

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:35 AM.