Reacher (2022) Amazon Prime series.

Closed Thread
Old 02-07-2022, 09:22 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Ohiobuckeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taltarzac725 View Post
It came out today on Amazon Prime. Now that is how I imagined Jack Reacher but a little less like he just had a lot of weight training sessions.
The way I read the book he was just big & burly, & bearded. But Amazon had him looking to good looking. At least he wasn’t a scrawny 5’7” - 170 lb. Tom Cruise. The book just ruined Tom Cruise bad A$$ Jack Reacher! But you’re right if you want to watch Jack Reacher, watch it on Amazon Prime!
Old 02-07-2022, 09:30 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by spd2918 View Post
My wife and I enjoyed episode 1 last night and we will continue to watch this series. It was well shot and acted, but far from perfect. I, too, see some Clint Eastwood in the lead character. He sounds and squints like Clint.

This is my take away (spoilers ahead):

1. The guy does not have to be 100% totally ripped. He would have to be in the gym 4 hours a day to look like that. It is not believable.

2. The police work is horrible. They arrest him for murder because he is tall and then put him in prison without formally charging him. Either of these things would result in a huge lawsuit. The lead investigator would never seek Reacher's help with a murder investigation. Zip tie cuffs are rarely uses and people are rarely cuffed in the front. Add to that the whole "local cops are idiots" trope. Its lazy writing.

3. Reacher is a better fighter than Muhammed Ali.

3. Reacher's specific conclusions with very little information. For example his conclusions about the detective. No one would assume the guy was quiting smoking or was separated given the information. A good investigator does not jump to conclusions but rather seeks more information and considers all options.

4. The bullying. We get the guy is tall. Does he have to belly bump people repeatedly? If we are supposed to respect the man for his other (superhuman) qualities, they why would he need to resort to flexing?

5. Mike Hammer and Jack Ryan were interesting because they were flawed and relatable. They were never presented as perfect and you could root for them. This main character was too much of a Superman; the best at everything he does.

Sorry for the rant. We did like the show, but wish it was more realistic.
Who else could take repeated blows from a crow bar beating and in the next scene, no shirt, not a single bruise/cut.
Just being picky. I like Tom Cruise movies and how he played Reacher.
I also enjoyed the current series as presented.
It was very entertaining and no reason to even think about one Reacher vs another (for me).

Last edited by billethkid; 02-07-2022 at 09:35 AM.
Old 02-08-2022, 07:59 AM
Soaring Eagle member

I liked Tom Cruise too but after reading the book, Tom Cruise was no Jack Reacher!
Old 02-08-2022, 01:08 PM
Sage

Haven't read any of the books featuring Jack Reacher and didn't see the movies with Tom Cruise. But reading all the above reviews by you guys, I thought maybe it would help solve the perennial problem of something to watch after dinner.

We are between shows, having just finished all six seasons of "Downton Abbey," for the 3rd time (DH's favorite, by the way). He also loves old Clint Eastwood movies which I do not, anything by the Coen Brothers, and Netflix "World War II in Color" documentaries. He also is able to enjoy female-oriented shows I've chosen, like "Call the Midwife" and the "Good Witch."

So as not to diminish my good standing in control of the remote, I thought a show more in line with male tastes would be wise at this time. We watched the first two episodes of "Jack Reacher" last night and both enjoyed it. I love the lead actor who is handsome, strong, and has "kind eyes," as noted by the female police officer. And he reminds DH of Clint Eastwood, so we are both happy. We look forward to the rest of the episodes, thanks to you all. And now I don't need to see Tom Cruise in the "Reacher" movies, either.

Last edited by Carla B; 02-08-2022 at 02:20 PM.
Old 02-08-2022, 01:25 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carla B View Post
Haven't read any of the books featuring Jack Reacher and didn't see the movies with Tom Cruise. But reading all the above reviews by you guys, I thought maybe it would help solve the perennial problem of something to watch after dinner.

We are between shows, having just finished all six seasons of "Downtown Abbey," for the 3rd time (DH's favorite, by the way). He also loves old Clint Eastwood movies which I do not, anything by the Coen Brothers, and Netflix "World War II in Color" documentaries. He also is able to enjoy female-oriented shows I've chosen, like "Call the Midwife" and the "Good Witch."

So as not to diminish my good standing in control of the remote, I thought a show more in line with male tastes would be wise at this time. We watched the first two episodes of "Jack Reacher" last night and both enjoyed it. I love the lead actor who is handsome, strong, and has "kind eyes," as noted by the female police officer. And he reminds DH of Clint Eastwood, so we are both happy. We look forward to the rest of the episodes, thanks to you all. And now I don't need to see Tom Cruise in the "Reacher" movies, either.
I always thought it was Downtown Abbey too until I took another look and was really surprised to see that it is actually Downton Abbey.
Old 02-08-2022, 02:19 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrprez View Post
I always thought it was Downtown Abbey too until I took another look and was really surprised to see that it is actually Downton Abbey.
Oops, I should know better, after watching it three times!
Old 02-08-2022, 03:15 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,316 Times in 2,053 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carla B View Post
Oops, I should know better, after watching it three times!
They have a new Downton Abbey movie coming out in May 2022. Downton Abbey: A New Era - Wikipedia
Old 02-08-2022, 05:42 PM
Veteran member
Location: The Villages - Formerly Atlanta Endicott and Syracuse NY

Never read the books.. COuldn't care less about comparisons.. While it had some unrealistic moments, the series was entertaining nonetheless. Easily binge-able.
Old 02-08-2022, 07:10 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,027 Times in 5,325 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by valuemkt View Post
Never read the books.. COuldn't care less about comparisons.. While it had some unrealistic moments, the series was entertaining nonetheless. Easily binge-able.
The books were not all realistic but his adventures were loads of fun.
Old 02-08-2022, 08:36 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,027 Times in 5,325 Posts

Saw the first episode and really enjoyed it. Looking forward to the series
Closed Thread

Tags
reacher, amazon, prime, training, weight

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.