Restrictions on DirectTV dish

Closed Thread
Old 07-28-2013, 07:56 AM
Default Restrictions on DirectTV dish

If there are restrictions I would "assume" the installers are aware. Anyway, we'll be closing and moving in to Sanibel on Aug 12th and bringing our DirectTV equipment with us. Just wondering if we may encounter some problems with the installation of the satellite dish?

We are not under any obligation with DirecTV as we've been customers for years. I (at this time) am considering going with Brighthouse for Internet (don't need a landline phone). I think if we can find a cheaper deal with Brighthouse for both TV and Internet we may go that route instead of staying with DirectTV.

Any thoughts or comments to this would be appreciated!

Mike
Old 07-28-2013, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mherzberg View Post
If there are restrictions I would "assume" the installers are aware. Anyway, we'll be closing and moving in to Sanibel on Aug 12th and bringing our DirectTV equipment with us. Just wondering if we may encounter some problems with the installation of the satellite dish?

We are not under any obligation with DirecTV as we've been customers for years. I (at this time) am considering going with Brighthouse for Internet (don't need a landline phone). I think if we can find a cheaper deal with Brighthouse for both TV and Internet we may go that route instead of staying with DirectTV.

Any thoughts or comments to this would be appreciated!

Mike
No problems placing the dish. I use Direct, but I hear Brighthouse is very good; can't get I where I live.
Old 07-28-2013, 08:03 AM

To my knowledge there are no restrictions. I have seen dishes on roofs and on the ground. I think the only restriction is that it can't be located forward of the front of your house. It must stay on the roof, the side or back yard.
Old 07-28-2013, 09:00 AM

Here are the "guidelines."

I was told, by 'Community Standards,' that they prefer a dish not to be on the roof.

http://www.districtgov.org/departmen...e%20Dishes.pdf
Old 07-28-2013, 09:15 AM

Great info - Thank you to all!
Old 07-28-2013, 09:53 AM
Gold member

What you pay depends on the installer. If there is a dispute Direct TV won't get involved. I threw an installer out when he insisted that I'd have to pay extra to run a wire 6 ft. from the pole to my house. Direct TV has a policy and they admitted that the installer was wrong but told me I'd have to work it out with the tech. That's why I still have Comcast, which I hate. I just got too frustrated with Direct TV.
Old 07-28-2013, 12:43 PM
Veteran member

We just went with DirectTV after getting frustrated with Comcast---neighbors have the dish on roof, or side of house, etc. We opted to have ours on a pole in the ground back corner of lanai---paid 75.00 extra to have this installed--in concrete. We are not in the Brighthouse area either.
Old 07-28-2013, 01:01 PM

No issues where you place the the dish, the installers know where they can go. I have seen them on the roofs, on the side of the house and on a pole in the ground. They will place them where you get the best signal for your area.
Old 07-28-2013, 04:51 PM
Veteran member

Just changed to Diect Tv after years with Brighthouse. Love Direct TV.
Old 07-28-2013, 07:34 PM
Bosoxfan

We just moved from one village to another and Direct TV came with us. They have a special for those who move. You get Genie DVR and NFL ticket at no extra cost. We were told we shouldn't put the dish on our new home as it would void our warranty on the roof. We were charged an extra $75 for a pole installation but complained to Direct T V and came up with the solution of $10 a month off our bill for 6 months.Close enough. Oh & also we get all the movie channels HBo, Starz, Showtime etc.... free for 3 months. We've had Direct T V since 1999 & love it. We're both sports fans &Direct TV is the only one with The NFL ticket.Also I believe they have the best HD signal in the business by far.
Old 07-28-2013, 08:15 PM
Sage

DirecTV defines their "free standard installation" as mounting the satellite dish on the roof. The installer will want to charge extra to mount the satellite dish on a pole in the ground. Some people have stated that they've negotiated the price of the pole-mount install down, sometimes even down to $0. Ultimately, it's between you and the installer - DirecTV would not quote me a price up front for what the pole-mount install would cost.

So check with your installer up front to work through how much their installation will really run.

Bill
Old 07-28-2013, 08:53 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

We have had Direct TV for years. The initial reason was due to wanting NFL ticket, but the quality of the HD picture is so good, and we rarely have a signal problem, so we're hooked for other reasons.. Plus I like how simple their DVR system is to work.
Old 07-29-2013, 11:07 AM

I also have DirecTV but when it was installed it couldn't go anywhere but on the roof since I live in a Patio Villa and between my house and the one directly in back of me there is a huge tree and that tree would block the signal if it were on the ground. This was about a year ago. That tree has grown quite a bit and I kept getting "searching for satalite signal" messages so I called them again and told them - they did sent out a tech (free of charge) and he discovered that since the tree has grown so high, it was now interrupting the signal so he moved the dish. That was all find and well. Then, when I get my bill, I just about flipped out. It was now $10.00 a month more and I wanted to know why. Well, seems they "automatically" added the "protection" plan on and I did not request that. I told them that the problem I had was not my fault and the free tech visit was offered to me and was just supposed to be that - free. Well, after going round and round, I got my monthly bill reduced - anxiously waiting to see what they are really going to charge me when I get my next bill. I would advise everyone to WATCH your BILLS - not only for DirecTV but centurylink and all other billings. Centurylink had charged me "late fees" for three months at the rate of $5.00 per month. I called them and wanted to know how I could possibly be late since I never write them a check - that my bill was set up for automatic bill pay. Their response - well, sometimes there's a glitch in the system!!!!! What a crock. Got that one taken care of too and when I finally got it "squared" away, I cancelled my landline!
Old 07-30-2013, 05:50 AM

We live in the Mallory area, I don't think Brighthouse is available.
Recently changed to Direct TV and love it.
Good luck
Old 07-30-2013, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragman View Post
No problems placing the dish. I use Direct, but I hear Brighthouse is very good; can't get I where I live.
We had no problems with Directv dish placement but how are you going to get your fav football team without them?
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.