ROKU e-mail regarding Google/YouTubeTV?

Closed Thread
Old 05-01-2021, 09:25 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,505 Times in 3,104 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byte1 View Post
You will still be able to view Youtube TV on your computer. You will be able to cast Youtube TV to your TV from your phone. I have watched movies from my phone by casting them and they were fine. I still do. Both Roku and my TV have the ability to accept casting from my phone.
Screw that. I'm not going to make my husband jury-rig his phone into a remote control for his TV, just so he can watch shows from a streaming service that doesn't even get him all the channels he wants.

We'll switch services, and get more for less - or MUCH more for only a little more. It's something we probably should've done months ago.
Old 05-01-2021, 09:33 AM
Soaring Eagle member

There is not currently an issue with existing Roku and YouTubeTV customers. You can still watch YouTubeTV through Roku. However, new users cannot download the YouTubeTV app. If you have it installed on your Roku then you are currently fine, just don't delete it. This could all change.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byte1 View Post
You will still be able to view Youtube TV on your computer. You will be able to cast Youtube TV to your TV from your phone. I have watched movies from my phone by casting them and they were fine. I still do. Both Roku and my TV have the ability to accept casting from my phone.
Old 05-01-2021, 09:38 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuccillo View Post
There is not currently an issue with existing Roku and YouTubeTV customers. You can still watch YouTubeTV through Roku. However, new users cannot download the YouTubeTV app. If you have it installed on your Roku then you are currently fine, just don't delete it. This could all change.
Yup. I got e-mails from both YouTubeTV and Roku, both blaming the other for the failure to come up with an agreement, and warning me that either of them could pull the plug completely at any moment.

That's fine by me, they can duke it out if they'd like. I don't feel any sense of loyalty to either brand. I LIKE my Roku, and I LIKE Google products. But if something better comes along for less with more options and reliability, I'm game.
Old 05-01-2021, 09:43 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
The cheapest way to get The Weather Channel is with a streaming service called "frndly". It includes The Weather Channel, two Hallmark channels, and 13 other channels for $5.99 per month.
I am aware of this. That's why I'm looking at the sling blue option plus sports extra and frndly. It gives us everything that YouTubeTV gave us, PLUS the Holy Weather Channel (I know - I don't care about it either, I use weather underground) for $11 less than what we're paying for YouTubeTV.

The fact that sling is cheaper, means that for the same price we're paying for YouTubeTV, we get not only the Sacred Weather Channel, but I can add either Netflix or Hulu. For the SAME PRICE as YouTubeTV! And while I'm bugging him to embrace that idea, I can have Hulu AND Netflix, for only $10 more than what we're already paying for YouTubeTV, which doesn't even have the Superior Weather Channel, ffs!
Old 05-01-2021, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
I am aware of this. That's why I'm looking at the sling blue option plus sports extra and frndly. It gives us everything that YouTubeTV gave us, PLUS the Holy Weather Channel (I know - I don't care about it either, I use weather underground) for $11 less than what we're paying for YouTubeTV.

The fact that sling is cheaper, means that for the same price we're paying for YouTubeTV, we get not only the Sacred Weather Channel, but I can add either Netflix or Hulu. For the SAME PRICE as YouTubeTV! And while I'm bugging him to embrace that idea, I can have Hulu AND Netflix, for only $10 more than what we're already paying for YouTubeTV, which doesn't even have the Superior Weather Channel, ffs!
Does this combination get you ABC CBS, NBC, and FOX live?
Old 05-01-2021, 10:52 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,701 Times in 5,236 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob47 View Post
Does this combination get you ABC CBS, NBC, and FOX live?
Go to the website, "suppose.tv". Enter all the channels you want and it will show you the cheapest combination of streaming services that will provide those channels.
Old 05-01-2021, 11:43 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,018 Times in 1,012 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post
A lot of TV's have the YTTV app.
very true, ours has it built in. it's just a regular smart tv
Old 05-03-2021, 09:34 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,319 Times in 501 Posts

There are several streaming services, BUT youtube tv has certain channels that I like and it has UNLIMITED recording. AND when you set it to record a program, it goes back and gives you back episodes if they are available. Hopefully, they will work it out because I have not found any other streaming service equal. Just my opinion.
If you want just local channels like you would get from an antenna, then Locast is the way to go cheaply. Has ALL the local channels live. And it is FREE on Roku.
We can argue the merits of all the streaming apps but the OP is talking about one situation right now and that is the popular Youtube TV streaming app. Hopefully, they will work that out.
Closed Thread

Tags
roku, google, access, youtubetv, youtube

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.