Roku options confusing!

Closed Thread
Old 11-16-2019, 03:58 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,459 Times in 3,088 Posts
Default Update!

We have TV! Roku TV, plus Pluto TV, plus the CW (which apparently is free), Fandango Now (since I have around $50 in Fandango credit so I'll try and figure out how to use the credit on the TV), and Vevo (which has some free content even though most of it is pay per view).

We'll make sure we understand how to move around the system and then pick a bundle that has what spouse needs.

For now he's just very happy he can watch 24/7 James Bond and the Addams Family

Thank you ALL very much for contributing to the assistance in getting this done! Team effort! I was loathing the idea of having to go to Best Buy and have them sell me something I didn't need, or want, or that wouldn't work.
Old 11-17-2019, 04:12 AM
Gold member

"crappy cheap option that you can only run 2 devices on before everything starts feeling like sludge"

LOL...Who told you to think this? Bandwidth is bandwidth-bound, not device-bound. But 100mbps only $10 more over 25mbps when it is usually at least $20 is a good deal.

The bandwidth isn't crappy...your 1080p non-HDR television is

It looks like Sling TV is the cheapest plan to get the Golf Channel.

For more free stuff, load tubi, filmrise, crackle, and XUMO apps.
Old 11-17-2019, 08:14 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorTech View Post
"crappy cheap option that you can only run 2 devices on before everything starts feeling like sludge"

LOL...Who told you to think this? Bandwidth is bandwidth-bound, not device-bound. But 100mbps only $10 more over 25mbps when it is usually at least $20 is a good deal.

The bandwidth isn't crappy...your 1080p non-HDR television is

It looks like Sling TV is the cheapest plan to get the Golf Channel.

For more free stuff, load tubi, filmrise, crackle, and XUMO apps.
We did add Tubi...I've definitely heard of Crackle, I'll toss that in there. Will take a look at filmrise and xumo, thanks!
Old 11-17-2019, 09:45 AM

FYI - You can get the major networks (ABC NBC etc) for free with one of the newer tv antennas (Just like the old days). These are available at Best Buy, Amazon etc. Would still need Roku or other streaming / cable services for the Golf channel.
Old 11-17-2019, 10:34 AM

These two are the cheapest Roku units. They do not have 4k capibility.

$25 Roku Express
$40 Roku Express+ with Voice Search

I'm adding one more Ruku unit just because it comes with headphones so you can quietly watch programs if you didn't want to disturb someone's nap or whatever. This has been very helpful at times. It also has 4k capibility but that's not needed as per your request, but it is the cheapest Roku unit that has the headhones, if you find value in this option.

$60 Roku Streaming Stick+ (this also has 4k capibility but would still work on your regular tv)

The Roku units (and the firesticks, etc) make it possible for you to watch most anything that's out there but you're going to need a subscription(s) for the better services. You just need to find out if any one service has everything otherwise the price starts going up.

*I posted this before I read the last page and saw that you have already scored a Roku device, good. Happy Surfing : )

Last edited by Steve-Ryzel; 11-17-2019 at 10:58 AM.
Old 11-17-2019, 02:51 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,302 Times in 820 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorebea View Post
FYI - You can get the major networks (ABC NBC etc) for free with one of the newer tv antennas (Just like the old days). These are available at Best Buy, Amazon etc. Would still need Roku or other streaming / cable services for the Golf channel.
Where in TV are you able to get these local networks. The OP is talking about 32159 which is the historic area of Lady Lake.
Old 11-17-2019, 05:14 PM
Sage

We already got the Roku and it's working great. When we're ready to pay for a channel package we have all the info we need thanks to y'all here on ToTV. We wouldn't get an antenna anyway, which I've said a few times already.
Old 11-17-2019, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyp View Post
Where in TV are you able to get these local networks. The OP is talking about 32159 which is the historic area of Lady Lake.
Live in Woodbury, put up an over the air antenna in October. Get 70 channels , some duplicates, Spanish and sales. About 30 we use.
Old 11-17-2019, 07:32 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post
25mbps would be minimum IF it was 25mbps 100% of the time, which it won't be. So you will have issues.
We at our house can attest to that.
Old 11-17-2019, 07:57 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,302 Times in 820 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckcapaul View Post
Live in Woodbury, put up an over the air antenna in October. Get 70 channels , some duplicates, Spanish and sales. About 30 we use.
That's impressive. What kind of antenna do you have and where is it mounted ? I tried one of those amplified window models (advertised something like 50 mile range) several years ago near Spanish Springs and was not able to get anything.
Old 11-18-2019, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyp View Post
That's impressive. What kind of antenna do you have and where is it mounted ? I tried one of those amplified window models (advertised something like 50 mile range) several years ago near Spanish Springs and was not able to get anything.
Antenna's direct clearstream 4v from home depot. Amazon has them also. I put a mount under the eaves so I did not have to put screws in the roof. Using a 4 port splitter/amplifier from the also
Old 11-19-2019, 09:26 AM

I'm across 441 in Stonecrest. I mounted a Direct DB8e Multidirectional Antenna in my attic and got 57 channels. I originally had the antenna in the living room testing it when I first got it. I only got 6 channels on the ground floor but moving it to the attic is where the antenna shined. Like a previous poster some channels are duplicate and some are in spanish (and religious). I have about 15 channels that I watch. I'm getting Fox, ABC, CBS, CW, Justice, Court, This, GRIT, QUEST, ION, My TV, Decades, MOVIE (old stuff) and a few more. I culdn't get NBC no matter where I rotated the antenna or had the booster switched on or off. Currently I'm hooked to one TV and the booster isn't needed to pull in the channels. As I add TVs I may need to switch on the booster.
Closed Thread

Tags
work, input, roku, things, handle

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.