Series to Watch from the Beginning

Closed Thread
Old 10-11-2013, 08:24 AM
Sage
Default Series to Watch from the Beginning

I'd like to find a series to start watching from the beginning in my down time. I like ScyFy, mysteries, some good drama and comedy. Some I of my favorite series have been The Mentalist, Monk, The X-Files, Star Trek. I've thought about Breaking Bad, but I'm not sure I can get into the bad-guy-as-hero thing.

Any ideas?
Old 10-11-2013, 08:35 AM

I have watched tv series for years on netflix dvds and have started watching their streaming service which is quite good. Showtime, HBO, and other networks have put out series over the years which are quite good but which you probably haven't been exposed to.

I have watched a PBS program called Foyles's War, set in WWII Britain, about a police constable and civilian crimes. Very good. Others seem to escape me at the moment.

The good thing about having an ala carte' service is you can watch the pilot and decide if you want to watch more. Good luck.
Old 10-11-2013, 09:52 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to l2ridehd

Try House of Cards available through netflixs. Won lots of awards and is very well done. Follows a corrupt US Congressman and his exploits and manipulations to get things done. Kevin Spacy plays the lead role.
Old 10-11-2013, 11:30 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by l2ridehd View Post
Try House of Cards ...
Agree. Unfortunately, I've already watched that one...awaiting Season 2. :^)
Old 10-11-2013, 11:52 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polar Bear View Post
I'd like to find a series to start watching from the beginning in my down time. I like ScyFy, mysteries, some good drama and comedy. Some I of my favorite series have been The Mentalist, Monk, The X-Files, Star Trek. I've thought about Breaking Bad, but I'm not sure I can get into the bad-guy-as-hero thing.

Any ideas?
I also resisted Breaking Bad because a Meth dealer didn't particularly interest me. However the writing and acting is so good that if you start the series you'll be quickly hooked. Similarly I was not interested in Dexter for the longest time but it happens to be another very well done series. Dexter does not appear to be available from Netflix but might be from Amazon.
Old 10-11-2013, 12:16 PM
Sage

I just loved "Call the Midwife", 15 episodes available from Netflix. Set in an impoverished part of London in the 1950s, it's about a group of midwife-nurses who work out of a convent.
Ecclesiasites 3:12
Old 10-11-2013, 01:02 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by l2ridehd View Post
Try House of Cards available through netflixs. Won lots of awards and is very well done. Follows a corrupt US Congressman and his exploits and manipulations to get things done. Kevin Spacy plays the lead role.
What a great show. I love Kevin Spacey as Francis.
Old 10-11-2013, 04:00 PM

We have enjoyed White Collarand Burn Notice on Netflix watch instantly, and Blue Bloods available on Disc.
Old 10-11-2013, 05:01 PM
Platinum member

I, too resisted Breaking Bad for the same reason. However, over the summer there wasn't a lot on and I went thru the entire first seasons in no time at all.

The Walking Dead was also good.
Old 10-11-2013, 05:18 PM
Veteran member

Season 2 of Revolution just started but you can watch season 1 online. I watched them all and caught up. It's set in the near future and sort of sci-fi but about Earth after the electricity goes away.
Old 10-11-2013, 05:34 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConnecticutYankee View Post
We have enjoyed White Collarand Burn Notice on Netflix watch instantly, and Blue Bloods available on Disc.
Burn notice is cool. Final episode was just on. We also really liked The Closer; so sorry it's over. Its sequel, Major Crimes, is not a bad substitute but has only been on for two short TNT seasons. And Leverage is very good if you like improbable anti heroes of the Robin Hood variety.

How about Boston Legal? That was a great show. And going back, I absolutely love Murphy Brown. We spent a lot of nights going through the seasons of Northern Exposure. They're still great.
Old 10-11-2013, 05:46 PM
Sage

Don't really think Walter White of BB was portrayed as the hero. Without spoiling the ending for you there is one line that Walt used in the last episode "I did it because I loved it".

Give it a try.

Another show (not sci-fy) is Boardwalk Empire now in it's fourth season on HBO.

For historic drama try The Tudors from showtime.
Old 10-12-2013, 06:35 AM
Veteran member

For character driven legal drama we watched the 4 seasons of The Good Wife, which I just loved. Then we watched the 2 seasons of Suits which was allso good. ll on Amazon. Also liked House of Cards so I guess we have to join Netflix! Are HBO series on Netflix or Amazon? Any other good legal series or movies? I cant handle violence or gore so good films and series are becoming rare. I'm an old Law and Order: Criminal intent fan but not the SVU series.

LW888
Old 10-12-2013, 07:39 AM

I enjoyed Inspector Lewis, Sherlock Holmes with Benedict Cumberbatch, and Downton Abbey. All are British TV shows. Excellent, intelligent writing and acting.
Old 10-12-2013, 07:56 AM
Platinum member

or I almost forgot "orphan black" on BBC America....scifyish
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.