Sound bars for flat screen tvs

Closed Thread
Old 12-11-2011, 08:51 PM
Platinum member
Default Sound bars for flat screen tvs

I recently became aware of sound bars which are basically external speakers to enhance the sound of flat screen televisions. Does anyone have experience with these? My intent is not for surround sound but to improve the speech quality.
Old 12-11-2011, 09:07 PM
Sage

I have a vizio vsb200 sound bar in our living room. Later, I bought a Polk audio subwoofer to enhance bass sounds.

Certainly is an improvement over the tinny TV speakers but not as clear and rich a sound as I had hoped. Dialog is easier to understand. With these high ceilings and tile floors and open layout, it seems like sound bounces all over the place.
Old 12-11-2011, 09:19 PM
Sage

I've got a Sony sound bar and subwoofer combo and it really makes a nice difference over the TV speakers. Well worth the price, IMO.
Old 12-11-2011, 11:50 PM
KittyKat
Funny you should ask, jojo. We just got new HD tv's. My Mom saw a column "Sound Advice" in last Monday's Sun and the question was about soundbars.
Budget: 2.1 channel Home Theater Soundbar from monoprice.com. $115.
Middle: Sony HT-CT150 Sound Bar System. $225.
Wow: 5.1-channel surroundbar speakers from Definitive Technology and Polk Audio. (no price given. I guess if you have to ask you can't afford it )

The columnist is Don Lindich at soundadviceblog.com

I went to monoprice.com to check out the $115 one & the reviews weren't all that great.
I guess I'm not much of an audiophile. I was expecting to have to purchase a soundbar after reading so many reviews about poor sound from LCD's but I have to say I'm pleasantly surprised to find that I see (hear) no problem with Mom's Samsung or my LG.
Old 12-12-2011, 07:21 AM
Platinum member

Thanks all. I plan to research locally when I get home this week. We have tile floors and a large open area and I think that contributes to the problem.

Last edited by jojo; 12-12-2011 at 08:16 AM. Reason: typo
Old 12-12-2011, 07:55 AM
Send a message via AIM to HelenLCSW

We run the sound through the speakers of a Bose radio --less conspicuous than a sound bar --sound much better than TV sound --probably not as good as a much more expensive sound bar --

Last edited by HelenLCSW; 12-12-2011 at 07:56 AM. Reason: Left out a word
Old 12-12-2011, 09:02 AM
Gold member

We just got a new TV and added a soundbar (Panasonic) with wireless subwoofer and are very pleased with the results. As already mentioned the speakers on flatscreens are tiny and the sound isn't too good. Amazon.com has good prices on all brands w/free shipping if you're interested in online ordering.
Old 12-12-2011, 09:21 AM
Default Sound System

I have a surround sound system with a Sony receiver and 6 Infinity speakers
including a sub woofer. I'm hard of hearing so I made this investment for myself. If you just got a receiver and a center speaker, you could enhance your listening experience tremendously. With a decent receiver, TV dialogue can be channeled through the center speaker making it much clearer without necessarily increasing the volume.

I have checked out the sound bars thinking to downsize my audio equipment footprint, but to me they sound really tinny. I think you would have to get one of the $1000+ sound bars to get reasonable quality. I have had my surround system for 15 years. I believe if you are going to spend the money for a nice flat screen TV, then spend a little extra for a decent sound system. You can check epinions.com for reviews on them.
Old 12-12-2011, 09:53 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojo View Post
Thanks all. I plan to research locally when I get home this week. We have tile floors and a large open area and I think that contributes to the problem.
Researching sound bars is the way I would go.

Some new televisions have the sound coming out of the back and for people that have a hearing loss, it can make listening more difficult. Hence, a sound bar should increase your listening pleasrure.

One thing to consider when researching is that some sound bars physical size may block your off/on sensor on your television.

I just want to do the right thing! Uncle Joe, (my hero).
Old 12-12-2011, 12:23 PM
Gold member

We have a two year old Sharp Aquos flat screen TV that came with a sound bar. The sound is absolutely great. In fact, my original plan was to buy a sound surround system when I bought the TV, but found the sound to be so clear and crisp, we really didn't need anything else. It's so good that our beagle is constantly reacting to animals he hears on the TV - he never did that with our old 27 inch RCA standard stereo TV.
Old 12-12-2011, 12:42 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelenLCSW View Post
We run the sound through the speakers of a Bose radio --less conspicuous than a sound bar --sound much better than TV sound --probably not as good as a much more expensive sound bar --

Bose has a line of home theater speakers called Cinemate. I don't have them personally but have heard them in a demo. Well worth the investment if you are REALLY into having good sound.

Take a look at the Bose website; simple enough to find, or a Google search will take you there.
Old 12-12-2011, 11:44 PM
Gold member
Location: Chicago, Des Moines, St Louis, Fort Wayne -TV Wannabe
Default we just bought....

a new TV and did buy a Sound Bar. We are not into technology that much and I did not think it would be worth it at first. Now that we have it ....it I really enjoy the richness of the sound esp the deeper bass sounds....very nice. Now I know a surround sound system would even be better but we are simple folks and we are quite content with ours.
Old 12-13-2011, 07:04 AM
Platinum member

What brand did you buy? Sounds like it's working well for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssmith View Post
a new TV and did buy a Sound Bar. We are not into technology that much and I did not think it would be worth it at first. Now that we have it ....it I really enjoy the richness of the sound esp the deeper bass sounds....very nice. Now I know a surround sound system would even be better but we are simple folks and we are quite content with ours.
Old 12-13-2011, 07:21 AM
Sage

I just purchased a Sony HT-CT150 soundbar with a subwoofer. The sub is wired but that's no concern for me based on placement in my room. I got it at BJ's for $149 and it works great.
Old 12-13-2011, 08:44 PM
Gold member
Location: Chicago, Des Moines, St Louis, Fort Wayne -TV Wannabe
Default To Jojo

We bought a JVC but I don't know if it is one of the best or not....the store we bought it from had a deal on it since we bought a larger TV from them. It has a wireless subwoofer included in it....oh and a big Hi to Russ Boston...!!!

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.