Tell us about your choice of TV.(Television set)

Closed Thread
Old 06-24-2012, 01:18 PM
Sage
Default Samsung and LG

We have two 42" LCD TVs, one Samsung and the other LG, and two 32" LCD LG TVs. We also have an old square frame, 25" Sony which I won't part with because the picture is still great. We have it in our office. We love them all. Personally, LCD is the way to go. Plasma TVs, in my opinion, do not have the best of picture. You have to get what works best for you.

For what it's worth, if you should be so inclined to do so, we have 2 TVs in the master. One for each of us. One of us uses wireless headphones. This way, we each get to watch what we want while we are in bed. I can watch my girlie shows and he can watch his manly shows. We love it!
Old 06-24-2012, 01:35 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happinow View Post
We have two 42" LCD TVs, one Samsung and the other LG, and two 32" LCD LG TVs. We also have an old square frame, 25" Sony which I won't part with because the picture is still great. We have it in our office. We love them all. Personally, LCD is the way to go. Plasma TVs, in my opinion, do not have the best of picture. You have to get what works best for you.

For what it's worth, if you should be so inclined to do so, we have 2 TVs in the master. One for each of us. One of us uses wireless headphones. This way, we each get to watch what we want while we are in bed. I can watch my girlie shows and he can watch his manly shows. We love it!
Now there is a great idea.

We leave the tv on all night. There is something WRONG with our remote. I will fall asleep with it on HGTV and it somehow turns to the golf channel when I am asleep. (???!!??)
Old 06-24-2012, 02:49 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
............... There is something WRONG with our remote. I will fall asleep with it on HGTV and it somehow turns to the golf channel when I am asleep. (???!!??)
It's obviously a "remote controller issue".

Bill
Old 06-24-2012, 03:01 PM
Eternal Member
Location: Formerly Refrigerated in Upstate NY, Now in village near Colony Plaza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill-n-Brillo View Post
It's obviously a "remote controller issue".

Bill
Wrong! It was a channel changing ghost that followed her from Hadley! The Villages Florida
"SMILE... TOMORROW MAY BE EVEN WORSE!"
Old 06-24-2012, 04:16 PM
Sage

Thank you for posting these suggestions. I still have a big old tube television (circa 2001) in my living room that I plan on replacing in the not too distant future. These suggestions have been quite helpful. Technology for televisions has changed tremendously in 11 yrs.
Old 06-24-2012, 06:04 PM

Funny,,Plasma set by Panasonic are rated #1!!
Old 06-24-2012, 09:41 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schaumburger View Post
Thank you for posting these suggestions. I still have a big old tube television (circa 2001) in my living room that I plan on replacing in the not too distant future. These suggestions have been quite helpful. Technology for televisions has changed tremendously in 11 yrs.
Another great feature is they're lightweight and not as cumbersome as those big old types. One person can usually handle the large ones.
In reality, they're different!
Old 06-24-2012, 09:43 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyguy79 View Post
Wrong! It was a channel changing ghost that followed her from Hadley! The Villages Florida
Wouldn't that still qualify as 'remote control'?
In reality, they're different!
Old 06-25-2012, 04:30 AM
Veteran member

Cnet has a great buying guide which narrows down all the options. Here is a link.

LCD, LED, Plasma HDTV Buying Guide - CNET Reviews
Old 06-25-2012, 09:24 AM
Gold member

We have a 60 inch Sony but Steve gets that wistful look in his eyes everytime we see a 70 or even 80 inch....I've decided that when we move to TV we will build with a road behind us...then everyone can drive up, we'll hand out speakers and Bill can deliver the popcorn. Hey..that would solve two problems..we could rent Lionsgate movies and everyone could watch them! (see previous post re: Lionsgate) and Steve could justify having a movie theatre size tv in our living room!!
Old 06-25-2012, 11:33 AM
Eternal Member

GG - Today's Daily Sun (6/15) page D8 had an article about a plasma HDTV. Seemed like something to check out.

Z

Second star to the right, then straight on 'til morning.
Old 06-25-2012, 12:41 PM

Personally, I favor LED (Light Emitting Diode) HDTVs over the other choices. They use far less power, create far less heat, and appear to last a lot longer than Plasma or regular LCD (Liquid Crystal Diode). Technically, an LED HDTV is an LCD HDTV. In TV speak an LED HDTV is an LCD HDTV that uses LED to provide 'back lighting'. TVs labeled as LCD use fluorescent CFL to provide 'back lighting'. Both LED and LCD HDTVs use LCD front panels.

They have improved the technologies to the point that the picture quality in LED HDTVs is every bit as good (or, in some cases, better) than Plasma TVs. As the other Bill pointed out Plasmas still give better 'side viewing than LED, but, since this is for me and my wife, I expect that we will be in front of the TV most of the time.

I found the LED HDTV picture to be sharper and clearer than the plasma equivalent.

LED will cost more than the equivalent plasma by about 20-30%, but, for me the difference will be offset by energy savings over the life of the TV and I like the picture better.

We have a Samsung 55" LED in the living room right now, but, when we move to TV this November on a permanent basis I plan to get a 65", most likely the Samsung 65" Class (64.5" Diag.) LED 8000 Series Smart TV because (among other things) it is the biggest HDTV I can find that will fit into the 60" wide opening in my TV bookcase/console. The 55" will migrate to the 'Man Cave' I'm building in the 3rd bedroom/study -- Iris). I love the built in wireless Internet access to Hulu, etc, and Skype video calling capability (you do have to buy a compatible video camera at about $129) of the TV. It's pricey (roughly $3k atm), but, given the feature set and the amount of time I will probably use the thing it should be worth it to me.
Old 06-25-2012, 12:45 PM
Veteran member

Buy the largest set you can! I read that the main reason people have buyer's remorse when they purchase a new tv is because they didn't buy a bigger set. We started out with a 40" Sony LCD in our courtyard villa livingroom and within 2 years "graduated" to a 55" Samsung LED. The picture is absolutely stunning in HD. We sit about 10 feet from it. We hooked up a wireless Sony surround system and when we "crank it" it is almost as good as the movies! The Florida room is home to a Samsung 32" LCD and we bought a 24" Dynex LCD for the kitchen. Using the Comcast adapter and an A/B switch we bought at Wal-mart we are able to get quite a few channels on that tv in HD. I only really watch the news from Orlando and I can get all of those channels in HD. (no HD box, just the set-up I described above)

LED sets run cooler than LCDs.
Old 06-25-2012, 12:57 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill & Carolyn View Post
LED will cost more than the equivalent plasma by about 20-30%, but, for me the difference will be offset by energy savings over the life of the TV and I like the picture better.

We have a Samsung 55" LED in the living room right now, but, when we move to TV this November on a permanent basis I plan to get a 65", most likely the Samsung 65" Class (64.5" Diag.) LED 8000 Series Smart TV because (among other things) it is the biggest HDTV I can find that will fit into the 60" wide opening in my TV bookcase/console. The 55" will migrate to the 'Man Cave' I'm building in the 3rd bedroom/study -- Iris). I love the built in wireless Internet access to Hulu, etc, and Skype video calling capability (you do have to buy a compatible video camera at about $129) of the TV. It's pricey (roughly $3k atm), but, given the feature set and the amount of time I will probably use the thing it should be worth it to me.
It WILL be worth it, Bill, trust me! We paid over $2600 2 1/2 years ago for our Samsung 55" LED tv. It was one of the best purchases we have ever made. The picture is stunning and so enjoyable to watch. I'm tellin' ya, people, go big!!
Old 06-25-2012, 02:49 PM
Exclamation size & money

The Title says it all! The size of the TV is important to u as the viewer. Weigh all your options and be sure not to get a TV that in size overwhelms the dimensions of the room. It usually comes down to...what do u wanna spend?) If you are just watching standard tv shows or programs, then a flat screen or plasma tv is not what you"re looking for. It doesn"t last more than really 5 years and the options dont make sense. for moviews, a High def, surround sound, LED,Or LCD screen is the best for you. Good Luck in Your quest and I reccommend Best Buy. They are the Hi tech experts.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.