TV Antenna

Closed Thread
Old 11-10-2018, 12:00 PM
Default TV Antenna

Does anyone use an external TV antenna? If so how does it work? Is there someone near The Villages that installs them? Thanks
Old 11-10-2018, 12:36 PM
Default Antenna

Sure, plenty of people do.
Do you mean an antenna on the roof or in the attic?

Federal law allows you to install an antenna on the roof, but think of your neighbors. With all these roofs practically on top of each other, it certainly detracts from any view.

An antenna mounted in the attic pointed towards Orlando will (if it's a decent one) receive at least 50 stations for free, mostly in high definition. Lots of religion and Spanish speaking stations though. End up with a few decent ones but don't expect it to be like cable tv stations.

An attic antenna can be professionally installed by Villages Audio Video. He's done loads of them.
Home Audio Video Sales & Installation in The Villages, Florida

Here's an antenna locator that will help you to see where the transmitters are.

Antennas Direct | TV Transmitter Locator and Mapping Tool

Your mileage may vary considerably depending on antenna, distance, obstructions and elevation.
Old 11-11-2018, 07:02 AM

I am really ignorant when it comes to stuff like this. My question is: Do you need an antenna to watch our three local stations here? Planning to cut the cord but unsure of what streaming device to use. Is there one that will still allow us to watch the local stations without an antenna?
Old 11-11-2018, 08:20 AM
Sage

yes. youtube tv has the local stations
Old 11-11-2018, 08:39 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,687 Times in 3,600 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by janewk View Post
I am really ignorant when it comes to stuff like this. My question is: Do you need an antenna to watch our three local stations here? Planning to cut the cord but unsure of what streaming device to use. Is there one that will still allow us to watch the local stations without an antenna?
Yes.

I got tired of paying cable closes. I went to Best Buy, purchased a $100 antenna, cable (to get into the junction box) and a boaster (help the signal for multiple TV's). Been very happy. Get about 40-50 stations. ~1/2 are Spanish. Great HD quality.

I heard better/worse results throughout TV. There is a TV guy who will install the antenna in your attic. Good reviews. Search this site.

I also have Roku to stream other channels. This will pull in local channels as well if the weather conditions are impacting the reception from the antenna.

Search & Learn.
Good Luck.
Old 11-11-2018, 08:42 AM

I would second the "You Tube TV". Get the local channels plus never have to worry about weather.
Royal Air Force Benson, England
Eielson Air Force Base, AK, Clark AFB, Philippines
Kadena AFB, Okinawa Japan, Yakota AFB, Japan
Osan AB, Pyeongtaek, South Korea, Yangsan Army Garrison, Seoul South Korea
Old 11-11-2018, 08:57 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,416 Times in 5,107 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by janewk View Post
If you go to the website, "suppose.tv", you can select all the channels you want and the site will show you the combination of streaming services that will provide those channels. By the way, Youtube tv has a lot of channels for $40 per month, but it does not have the Hallmark channels.
Old 11-11-2018, 09:38 AM
Gold member

we went on walmart.com and bought a Yagi antenna. This particular model does not require any power to operate.

hubby mounted it on the roof with the brackets included, and plugged in the cable wire to the existing cable box in the garage, all for a $35.00 one time purchase. No monthly costs at all. Works great. All local and then some. Probably around 40 channels. Fox as well, plus QVC.

we don't have internet, except from our T mobile cells, so
all the internet products , Net Flicks, youtube, ect would not work. We pay absolutly nothing a month....yeah....

But were happy with the way this antenna works. Runs right thru the cable plugs in the walls, so we have 3 TV's going at the same time.

Check out walmart.com.
Old 11-12-2018, 08:21 AM

thank you
Old 11-12-2018, 08:23 AM

I'm searching but don't seem to be learning! Something's wrong with that picture! Lol
Old 11-14-2018, 06:26 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,996 Times in 2,197 Posts

I tried the outside antenna, actually tried 2 antennas, and both were marginal due to our house being in a low spot. I was able to get 65 Channels but not reliablably. Both are for sale, half price.
Old 11-15-2018, 07:17 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
I tried the outside antenna, actually tried 2 antennas, and both were marginal due to our house being in a low spot. I was able to get 65 Channels but not reliablably. Both are for sale, half price.
Could you post pictures of your antennas?
Old 11-15-2018, 08:07 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
Did you end up using a signal booster??
Old 11-16-2018, 09:22 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,996 Times in 2,197 Posts

One antenna BoostWave comes with a rotator and amplifier and is for both VHF and UHF, the other was a Db4e antenna, UHF only, for it I purchased a 4 port amplifier. As I stated I could occasionally get all of the channels using my LG (55 inch) TV search function. I was also able to use the MANUAL search function which provides a signal quality and signal strength indication to make sure I had the antennas aimed correctly. In any case a review of Google Earth showed a hill in Leesburg between our house and the television station antennas. While I know I could put the antenna 25 or 30 feet in the air to get good signals, I refuse to do that to my neighbors, so currently stuck on cable......
Old 11-16-2018, 09:27 AM
Sage

To all ToTV readers..................If you are looking to cut the cable, this guy has The Set-up. This is definitely a one-stop set-up.

Closed Thread

Tags
antenna, villages, installs, external, work

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.