"A Very Brady Renovation" on HGTV

Closed Thread
Old 09-11-2019, 12:47 AM
Sage
Default "A Very Brady Renovation" on HGTV

I watched the first of the four episodes of "A Very Brady Renovation" on HGTV.

I was about to turn 9 when "The Brady Bunch" debuted 50 years ago this month. "The Brady Bunch" was a favorite of mine growing up. HGTV reportedly paid over $3 million to buy the Studio City, CA home that was used in the exterior shots of the home the Brady family lived in. It was so interesting to see how the furniture and accessories from 1969 were obtained.

Now here is the scary part. The actors who played Greg and Marcia are old enough to collect Social Security. In 2 months the actor who played Peter will be old enough to collect SS. Next year the actor who played Jan will be old enough to collect SS. And the actors who played Cindy and Bobby are now 58. Which means I am PDO (pretty darn old).
Old 09-11-2019, 09:24 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

First I heard of this was a couple of years ago when Lance Bass, one of those boy band singers, tried to buy the house. I heard on the news that HGTV outbid him and got the home was going to do a remodel. I guess it's taken some time to get that show on the road.

I actually never watched the Brady Bunch, when it was in it's prime I believe '1970 - '74, I was out of the country in Korea the first two years and we didn't get any TV there except the Super Bowl.
Old 09-12-2019, 03:08 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_W View Post
First I heard of this was a couple of years ago when Lance Bass, one of those boy band singers, tried to buy the house. I heard on the news that HGTV outbid him and got the home was going to do a remodel. I guess it's taken some time to get that show on the road.

I actually never watched the Brady Bunch, when it was in it's prime I believe '1970 - '74, I was out of the country in Korea the first two years and we didn't get any TV there except the Super Bowl.
Yes, HGTV outbid Lance Bass in buying the house. The heirs of the woman who bought the house in 1973 and who died made out well on this deal. The house was originally listed for over $1 million and sold for $3.5 million last year.

It took 6 months to gut and remodel the inside of the house to match the interior of the house on the show, which was actually just a series of sound stages at whatever studio the show was filmed at 50 years ago. The Brady kids claimed to have never seen the exterior of the house they "lived" in before the restoration show was filmed.
Old 09-12-2019, 08:47 AM
Gold member

I am a huge Brady Bunch follower. I used to watch that show and right after that, the Partridge Family. Loved them both.

But.....what I am wondering is, HGTV paid $3.5 million, when the asking price was $1.8, I figure that was market value.

So with all the renovations, cost for replacements and such....more $$$

what are they going to do with the house when it is completed?
Old 09-12-2019, 08:48 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

I actually did see the television home of a show that I watched. When I was about 12 yo my favorite show was Surfside 6 from Miami Beach. We went to Miami to visit some relatives about that time and I had my parents drive down the beach to see if the houseboat was there. Sure enough, we got to go onboard for 50 cents. The show was actually made in Hollywood and only the exterior was used on the opening of the show.

Years later I met Troy Donahue in the early 70's in Savannah. My apartment complex had free bloody mary's and screwdrivers ever Sunday morning in the club house, and one week Troy was there, small world.

The Villages Florida
Old 09-12-2019, 06:09 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by kstew43 View Post
I am a huge Brady Bunch follower. I used to watch that show and right after that, the Partridge Family. Loved them both.

But.....what I am wondering is, HGTV paid $3.5 million, when the asking price was $1.8, I figure that was market value.

So with all the renovations, cost for replacements and such....more $$$

what are they going to do with the house when it is completed?
We must be close in age. Yes, the Partridge Family was on ABC right after The Brady Bunch. I think the shows were on Friday night, and both shows were must watch viewing for me.

I read online that HGTV will hold on to the house for awhile for publicity, public events and using it for stays for contest winners. I think it would be a kick to stay in the house for a week. I would love to know what happens to the house a few years down the road.

Too bad my dad finally got rid of the pink shag and brown shag carpeting that was in 2 bedrooms in the house I grew up in. I could have sold the carpeting to HGTV for this show. He still has a brown coppertone stove from 1964 in his kitchen (I am not kidding). Maybe HGTV could use it. . . hmmm
Old 09-12-2019, 06:19 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_W View Post
I actually did see the television home of a show that I watched. When I was about 12 yo my favorite show was Surfside 6 from Miami Beach. We went to Miami to visit some relatives about that time and I had my parents drive down the beach to see if the houseboat was there. Sure enough, we got to go onboard for 50 cents. The show was actually made in Hollywood and only the exterior was used on the opening of the show.

Years later I met Troy Donahue in the early 70's in Savannah. My apartment complex had free bloody mary's and screwdrivers ever Sunday morning in the club house, and one week Troy was there, small world.

The Villages Florida
I would love to vacation on a houseboat!
Old 09-12-2019, 10:32 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

On a Related Subject. On the History Channel Counting Cars in Las Vegas is shaping up a car very similar to the Brady Bunch Station Wagon. Wow, what a beautiful vehicle. (Not). This is all going to come together nicely and should be a great break from the normal run of the mill television shows.

That Houseboat John W posted a picture of reminds me a little of Cape Fear! Counselor, Come Out Come Out Where Ever You Are!

Greg Bradey was on Counting Cars, I think I saw him in a roundabout near The Savannah yesterday. He would fit in The Villages perfectly. Seems to be a nice person.
Old 09-13-2019, 08:16 AM
Veteran member

Such a nice break from all the political yelling.

Thank you OP for starting this thread!
Old 09-13-2019, 11:14 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blessed2BNTV View Post
Such a nice break from all the political yelling.

Thank you OP for starting this thread!
I so agree!

Tags
brady, played, collect, hgtv, actor

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.