What are you Streaming?

Closed Thread
Old 10-26-2020, 06:30 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
Shameless Confession:

We now have watched every episode of the Irish crime-drama soap opera Red Rock.

The thing is, it’s not that good.

Boomer
I totally disagree that "it's not that good". We loved it. Just don't forget to turn on the close captioning!

Boomer, did you watch the final episodes that are only available streamed from an Irish tv web site? Even those left some pretty big hanging threads but at least some things got wrapped up.

kathy
Old 10-26-2020, 06:48 PM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,204 Times in 740 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathyspear View Post
I totally disagree that "it's not that good". We loved it. Just don't forget to turn on the close captioning!

Boomer, did you watch the final episodes that are only available streamed from an Irish tv web site? Even those left some pretty big hanging threads but at least some things got wrapped up.

kathy

It was fun to watch, but I had to get used to that old soap opera style of writing — where nothing much really happens until a hook at the end of an episode — which probably aired on a Friday which is how soap writers seemed to always do it.

We watched it on Amazon. But how do I find the Irish tv site?

Does Paudge ever manage to get Sharon to love him back?

What happened with Patricia and the bald cop? He seemed to soften her up a little.

Did Vincent Kiely ever manage to get and hold onto an actual job? He looked capable enough to me but sure had bad taste in women.

Oh the things I have to think about these days.

And, yes, we used the captions.
Old 11-01-2020, 05:49 PM
Soaring Parsley

Got hooked on Queen’s Gambit, Netflix. Seven episodes total so you can knock it out in a couple of evenings.

It is about a brilliant young woman who is a phenomenal chess player. She learns to play when she is put in an orphanage at age 9. The story takes us through the ups and downs of her life — and many chess games.

Even though I know nothing about chess, her story grabbed my attention and held it. (When she grows up and it is the 1960s, her clothes are gorgeous — maybe not as gorgeous as Mrs. Maisel’s clothes, but gorgeous in their own right.)

I kept thinking how much a chess player would like this series. Lots and lots of moves. (I had no idea what they were talking about in the chess parts but I kept watching anyway — lots of stares and tension on the faces of opponents, also lots of dramatic music.)

I actually got a little teary-eyed at the end. Teary-eyed over a movie about chess??? (I’m not talking Terms of Endearment or Steel Magnolias teary-eyed, but, yes, a few tears — over a movie about chess???

I love movies about brilliant people. This is one of those.

Boomer
Old 11-01-2020, 07:08 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,939 Times in 5,278 Posts

Upon a recommendation here we started watching Endeavour. Each one is about 90 minutes so we are watching one a night.

Morse reminds me of Columbo.

BTW why is the show called Endeavour?
Old 11-01-2020, 07:23 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
It was fun to watch, but I had to get used to that old soap opera style of writing — where nothing much really happens until a hook at the end of an episode — which probably aired on a Friday which is how soap writers seemed to always do it.

We watched it on Amazon. But how do I find the Irish tv site?
Boomer:

You need to be running a VPN that gives you access to a server in Ireland. There are some free ones but I paid for something called SurfShark. If you don’t know what a VPN is you should do some research on Google.

If you have a VPN already OR you set up a new account with one, connect to the Internet through its Ireland server and then go here:

Virgin Media Player | Red Rock - Series 4, Episode 22

You want to stream what they call Series 4. I think the additional episodes are 22 and 23 (possibly 21, as well, I can’t remember). They numbered things a bit differently than Amazon does.

I must warn you: Some things are resolved but there are MAJOR cliffhangers, unfortunately. They were planning on another season but the show was cancelled after the above shows were filmed. Still worth watching.

k.
Old 11-02-2020, 01:01 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,009 Times in 451 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu from NYC View Post

BTW why is the show called Endeavour?
Endeavour is Morse's given name.
Old 12-02-2020, 08:58 AM
Soaring Parsley

Delicious stars Dawn French (The Vicar of Dibley) as a temperamental chef who is divorced from another famous chef. He has remarried — to the woman he left her for. But that has not stopped him from messing around. (Leopards do not change their spots.)

I thought the series started out a little slow with the storyline veering too much toward the daughter who has lots of issues, but that part soon blends in nicely with the rest and I was glad I kept watching.

The setting is beautiful.

The food is beautiful.

The parties are beautiful.

The grandmother is an absolute joy.

And the narrator is a ghost.

- - -

(Acorn and I think maybe Amazon.)

Last edited by Boomer; 12-02-2020 at 09:17 AM.
Old 12-03-2020, 08:21 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Delicious stars Dawn French (The Vicar of Dibley) as a temperamental chef who is divorced from another famous chef. He has remarried — to the woman he left her for. But that has not stopped him from messing around. (Leopards do not change their spots.)

I thought the series started out a little slow with the storyline veering too much toward the daughter who has lots of issues, but that part soon blends in nicely with the rest and I was glad I kept watching.

The setting is beautiful.

The food is beautiful.

The parties are beautiful.

The grandmother is an absolute joy.

And the narrator is a ghost.

- - -

(Acorn and I think maybe Amazon.)
Thanks for the recommendation. The show is on Amazon but is not included free with Prime. I am planning to sign up with Acorn and will catch it there.

kathy
Old 12-03-2020, 08:30 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,244 Times in 707 Posts

Enjoying VERA on Britbox. Great stories (mysteries) with great character development, and twists. Nothing beats a good British mystery.
Old 12-03-2020, 10:17 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,939 Times in 5,278 Posts

Just finished first season of Yellowstone, outstanding
Old 12-04-2020, 08:14 AM
Soaring Parsley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucco View Post
Enjoying VERA on Britbox. Great stories (mysteries) with great character development, and twists. Nothing beats a good British mystery.
Bucco, if you like British mysteries, you might like New Tricks. (I have been following this thread for months and I think “New Tricks” was already mentioned, but considering this will be post #101, I thought it would be easier to just say it again instead of reading back through.)

“New Tricks” is about three retired detectives who are called back to work to help solve cold cases. The three detectives are quite a bit past retirement age. They bring a lot of experience to the cases and their methods can sometimes be a little outside the box. (I think there is an old saying about that sort of thing. . .something like, “Age and guile beat youth and inexperience any day.”)

I like the show especially because it has some great lines. The writers do a good job of blending comedy with mystery. The detectives and the woman who is their boss are fun to watch. They all play well together.

“New Tricks” had a long run on the BBC, 2003-2015, so I guess a lot of people liked it.

We watch it fairly often. Each episode is a little shy of an hour and the storylines stand alone so it is easier to watch one or two at a time and not get caught up in a binge.

Last edited by Boomer; 12-04-2020 at 08:37 AM.
Old 12-04-2020, 08:32 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,374 Times in 497 Posts

Quote:
Bucco, if you like British mysteries, you might like New Tricks. (I have been following this thread for months and I think “New Tricks” was already mentioned, but considering this will be post #101, I thought it would be easier to just say it again instead of reading back through.)

“New Tricks” is about three retired detectives who are called back to work to help solve cold cases. The three detectives are quite a bit past retirement age. They bring a lot of experience to the cases and their methods can sometimes be a little outside the box. I like the show especially because it has a good dose of humor with some great lines. The writers do a good job of blending comedy with mystery. The detectives and the woman who is their boss are fun to watch. They all play well together.

“New Tricks” had a long run on the BBC, 2003-2015, so I guess a lot of people liked it.

We watch it fairly often. Each episode is a little shy of an hour and the storylines stand alone so it is easier to watch one or two at a time and not get caught up in a binge.
We have enjoyed New Tricks after learning about it on this thread. We are also enjoying DCI Banks another British detective show.
Old 12-04-2020, 09:42 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,008 Times in 1,003 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madelaine Amee View Post
Do YOU, yes you, have any interest in having a "What are you Streaming" discussion thread? A while ago we had a great discussion group going on Classic movies, I think we could enjoy and get new ideas, about what to stream.

I enjoy streaming, I have a News streaming show, Prime and two annual streaming channels, but do have a problem .... there is SO MUCH to watch. I went from almost nothing on Cable to overload on wiFi.

I will start with my preference: Courtroom Dramas, love them. I loved The Brief. I like police dramas. I prefer non-violent shows, but like the thrillers that make the hair stand up on the back of your neck Have just finished watching Gold Digger, a chick flick type show, I loved it.

Any ideas guys and ladies!
yes, yes & yes! streaming is the only way i've been watching tv. i just love Pluto-tv-- can't shake the james bond or carol burnett channels!
Old 01-23-2021, 03:09 PM
Soaring Parsley

“All Creatures Great and Small” is a new PBS Masterpiece series. It is a the story of a British veterinarian, the creatures he takes care of — and their owners, too.

James Herriot wrote a series of books semi-based on his own life as a vet. (His real name was James Alfred Wight.)

He got the title of the book from the second line in the first verse of the beloved hymn “All Things Bright and Beautiful.” (He used the other first verse lines, too, as titles for some of his other books.)

This is a new adaption of “All Creatures Great and Small.” The BBC got the rights and did a series in the 70s. It is good to see it back.

Boomer

Last edited by Boomer; 01-23-2021 at 03:15 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 01-23-2021, 03:31 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,009 Times in 451 Posts

I'm enjoying an Australian series that I just found on Netflix called Wanted.
Closed Thread

Tags
streaming, show, cable, loved, ideas

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.