Streaming TV: Binge or wait?

Closed Thread
Old 10-18-2020, 08:01 AM
Veteran member
Default Streaming TV: Binge or wait?

Do y'all prefer to binge shows, spread the episodes out, or a combination?

I hardly watch any shows that air weekly any more.

For us, being able to watch whenever and however much we want is the best thing about the rise of streaming services. Maybe because we grew up in the era of "had to be on the couch live or you missed it," we're perhaps more appreciative of the options/freedom than younger generations.

Being retired of course allows more time to binge, so that's another factor.
Old 10-18-2020, 08:16 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,858 Times in 784 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halibut View Post

For us, being able to watch whenever and however much we want is the best thing about the rise of streaming services. Maybe because we grew up in the era of "had to be on the couch live or you missed it," we're perhaps more appreciative of the options/freedom than younger generations.

Binging only for me. However, I do sometimes fall asleep, then have to rewatch an episode. I appreciate being able to do that. I also find that I rarely watch movies anymore. Most movies from the past forty years, even award winners, don’t interest me very much.

I only watch Netflix and Amazon Prime. I’ve learned how to find foreign programs (Search, then type in, say, Norwegian, or Spanish, and you will get Norwegian Movies and Series as an option, for example, then a list of them.) I’ve been watching lots of series from various Scandinavian countries, and also Spain, Brazil, Germany, and others. (I recommend the Danish shows “Borgen,” which is like “House of Cards,” and “Rita,” about a grade school teacher.). While these are all available overdubbed in English, I like to watch them in the original language with subtitles.

Right now I’m watching “Ratched,” about the crazed nurse from “One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest.” It’s very fun. Also try on Netflix “Unicorn,” about a very thoughtful, polite widower with young kids who is NOT eager to have sex with others. It’s such a change to see a nice guy starring in a program. (Though this “nice guy” was a very bad guy in the great series Justified, which starred Timothy Olyphant.)
Old 10-18-2020, 08:20 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts

The TV is not on in our home all day, we usually watch an hour or so in the morning with coffee, lunchtime news time and then we watch in the evenings for our pleasure.

We really enjoy shows that are split into episodes, that way we watch an episode each night, followed by something very light and inconsequential before retiring. I like crime for my main watching in the evening and then I have a gardening, farming and a Vet program that I watch before retiring. If I take something too heavy to bed with me it stays racing around in my brain all night.

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 10-18-2020, 08:45 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madelaine Amee View Post
I like crime for my main watching in the evening and then I have a gardening, farming and a Vet program that I watch before retiring.
I'm practically a vet now myself with all the vet and zoo shows I watch -- "Yep, looks like bloat."

I only binge these days; no more cable anyway.

I see a lot of comments on Reddit from people who think dropping entire seasons at once and binging harm the user experience because everyone is on different episodes and it inhibits spontaneous watercooler chat and social interactions. I can see their point but it's not something I personally care about.
Old 10-18-2020, 08:48 AM
Sage
Thanked 14,028 Times in 5,325 Posts

Since the virus came to visit we usually find a series on Prime and watch an episode or sometimes two every night.
Old 10-19-2020, 11:18 AM

Slowly but surely we are leaving regular tv shows. Has too much political influence and bias. We do watch Netflix, Prime, and Apple TV + but even they are getting tiresome. Which brings me to my next point, I absolutely have to dump Comcast. Our contract is almost up and it's time to leave them based on their corporate mentality and inflexible "upgrade" options. The only thing I really like about them is their internet (rocket ship fast) and their very inexpensive mobile phone service. Anyone out there cut the cable and keep Comcast? If so, how did they screw you? Sorry
Old 10-19-2020, 11:32 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgilcreast View Post
Slowly but surely we are leaving regular tv shows. Has too much political influence and bias. We do watch Netflix, Prime, and Apple TV + but even they are getting tiresome. Which brings me to my next point, I absolutely have to dump Comcast. Our contract is almost up and it's time to leave them based on their corporate mentality and inflexible "upgrade" options. The only thing I really like about them is their internet (rocket ship fast) and their very inexpensive mobile phone service. Anyone out there cut the cable and keep Comcast? If so, how did they screw you? Sorry
I have Comcast wifi for streaming and so far have no problems, speed is great, does not go down in the storms. I recently received a very interesting offer from Comcast, something about starting their own streaming and calling it Peacock, it looks a lot like the HULU layout which is almot the same as YOUTUBETV which I have. I have to find out mor about it, looks very interesting.

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 10-19-2020, 04:28 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,445 Times in 580 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halibut View Post

We use Peacock (free), Amazon. Netflix trying Appletv (trial for 1 year) also Movie/Tv apps Firestick (Cinema. Cat Mouse, Typhoon) dropped traditional TV 2 years ago. Have not been to the theaters in 7 months just that supplements our viewing habits with streaming probably not going back either.
Old 10-20-2020, 05:31 AM

Quote:
I have Comcast wifi for streaming and so far have no problems, speed is great, does not go down in the storms. I recently received a very interesting offer from Comcast, something about starting their own streaming and calling it Peacock, it looks a lot like the HULU layout which is almot the same as YOUTUBETV which I have. I have to find out mor about it, looks very interesting.
Thanks. Just can't wait for the hard sell from Comcast and the "better deal" routine.
Old 10-20-2020, 05:33 AM

Quote:
Thanks however Peacock sounds an awful lot like NBC and they have P'd me off. One reason I want to ditch Comcast
Closed Thread

Tags
binge, watch, streaming, shows, grew

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.