Cut the cord, now have sling but want local channels.

Closed Thread
Old 08-08-2020, 07:56 PM
Default Cut the cord, now have sling but want local channels.

We cut the cord a month ago and signed up for sling TV. I would like to get some local channels like Orlando CBS (when a golf match leaves the Golf Channel) and perhaps a few others. I am also not interested in an antenna on the roof. I know I am getting a bit picky here but I don't know that for sure. Any suggestions?
Old 08-08-2020, 09:55 PM

We cut the cord and use YouTube TV. You get many channels including all of the local channels
Old 08-09-2020, 12:07 AM

How much a month is UTube TV ? Do they add on a lot of "fees" and "taxes", and even some made up "taxes" too.....LOL ? What is the total per month with all the extras $$ tacked on ?
Old 08-09-2020, 02:35 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladygolfer93 View Post
How much a month is UTube TV ? Do they add on a lot of "fees" and "taxes", and even some made up "taxes" too.....LOL ? What is the total per month with all the extras $$ tacked on ?
It is double the amount that Sling charges. It's about $75 all in. There is NOTHING else available like it because the choice of channels is phenomenal and the unlimited storage is fantastic also. I have Sling as of now on my son's account and it's brutal compared to YTTV.

Turns out YTTV is exactly the amount I was paying for DirecTV before we switched to Streaming. I still like the new way but if they make another upward move with their price, I'm gone. It just makes sense now that we're home so much trying to do the correct thing that we have the best that's available. Good Luck.
Old 08-09-2020, 04:08 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,587 Times in 5,184 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigP View Post
We cut the cord a month ago and signed up for sling TV. I would like to get some local channels like Orlando CBS (when a golf match leaves the Golf Channel) and perhaps a few others. I am also not interested in an antenna on the roof. I know I am getting a bit picky here but I don't know that for sure. Any suggestions?
Go to the website "suppose.tv". You can select a list of all the channels you want on the left side of the screen, and the website will show you the combination of streaming services that will provide those channels and the cost.
Old 08-09-2020, 07:15 AM
Default Fire stick is the best

Quote:
I use Hulu with my fire stick you can load local news channels for around $6.00 a month. My stick has been “Jail broke so I get most channels for free. It’s an easy To do.
Old 08-09-2020, 07:15 AM

Pretty soon, streaming regardless of which service plus internet will cost about the same as basic cable and internet from either Comcast or Spectrum. It's a scam. Every two years I have to change providers to get an acceptable package. Nuts
Old 08-09-2020, 07:39 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,751 Times in 3,627 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladygolfer93 View Post

Plus YTTV goes anywhere you go. Phone, Laptop, Roku on any TV.
Old 08-09-2020, 07:43 AM

YTTV has my vote, have tried Sling, Dish, Direct in the past.
Old 08-09-2020, 09:24 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts

The rising cost of streaming is offset by the amount of good TV viewing now available. There was a time when we could find absolutely nothing we wanted to watch on cable. Now the problem is having so much to watch and making a choice. To us, the cost is worth it, at least we are getting something for our money.

If I was asked for my opinion, I would suggest YTTV and Prime. Do not ever forget YouTube site itself, just about anything you want to watch, learn, practice, listen to, it is on there. At this time my other half is wallowing in Pavarotti and I am taking classes in ancient civilizations and the beginning of earth as we know it. Recently I saw someone asking about line dancing, well find line dancing on YouTube and you can learn to dance at home! What's for dinner tonight .... ask youtube

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 08-10-2020, 04:53 AM

I've had houses near 466a and El Camino Real. I used an attic antenna for both. The house near Camino Real gets better reception because the attic is higher. Tom of VillagersAV can install it as long as there is no reflective insulation. NBC can be a little dicey but CBS has a strong signal.
Old 08-10-2020, 04:56 AM
Location: Mt. AIRY NC, NORFOLK VA, VA BEACH, VA, FT WAYNE,IN, CINCINNATI, OH, ROSWELL, GA, THE VILLAGES
Default firesticks with streaming service

Quote:
firesticks with streaming service, sportz tv for 9.95/mth for 2 devices. 5,000 channels with local and all sports channels
Old 08-10-2020, 05:10 AM
Veteran member

This doesn’t solve your local channel question but there is a cool free app on Roku that people might be interested in. It’s called NewsOn and it broadcasts local news from whatever part of the country you choose. It either broadcasts live or the previous broadcast if not live. While I’m in The Villages I can watch RI news. While I’m in RI I can watch Orlando news.
In regards to YouTube TV, the price recently went up from $50 a month to $65 a month before tax. I was ready to drop it but instead now share it and split the cost with a sister in law in RI. Since she is in RI, I keep the local channels set to RI even while we are in FL. I’ve tried them all and prefer YTTV however I’m starting to not like the price. However with YTTV you can create a family group to share membership with up to five people at no additional cost.
Old 08-10-2020, 05:18 AM
Veteran member

Bingo
Old 08-10-2020, 05:33 AM
Veteran member

Actually I also share YTTV with my two daughters in MA. I don’t charge the daughters though since I use one of their Netflix accounts. Can’t do all this stuff with cable.
Closed Thread

Tags
cut, golf, local, cord, sling

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.