Who Likes 4K Television?

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors




















» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements
Closed Thread
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 02-02-2020, 07:54 AM
retiredguy123 retiredguy123 is offline
Sage
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 6,494
Thanks: 672
Thanked 5,027 Times in 1,832 Posts
Default Who Likes 4K Television?

I have a 75 inch, 4K, UHD, HDR Sony television. I also have an Xfinity 4K cable box and an 4K dvd player. But, I have never been able to see the difference in picture quality when watching shows and movies in 4K. I have also tried watching 4K content directly from wifi streaming and have even paid extra to rent movies in 4K. But, I usually end up changing my cable box setting back to the 1080P HD setting because it fills up the screen better. I am going to try to watch the Super Bowl today in 4K, but I am not very optimistic that the picture will be better than my past experiences.
  #2  
Old 02-02-2020, 08:03 AM
dewilson58's Avatar
dewilson58 dewilson58 is offline
Sage
Join Date: May 2013
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Posts: 7,774
Thanks: 493
Thanked 4,804 Times in 1,826 Posts
Default

Samsung 4k, YouTube TV, with +50mbps internet.........I see the difference (& I think it's not just because I invested in the TV).


That being said, Samsung has 6, 7, 8, 9 series TV's. I went with Q7 series.........could not see the value in the 8 or 9 series pricing.


I see the difference is slower action shows.......golf, nature shots, football between plays, etc. Fast moving action shots, not so much. I'm sure the quality is there, but there is not enough time to focus & enjoy.




__________________
Mr. Helpful
  #3  
Old 02-02-2020, 08:40 AM
Polar Bear's Avatar
Polar Bear Polar Bear is offline
Sage
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 4,677
Thanks: 221
Thanked 904 Times in 368 Posts
Default

I can tell when a show is 4k even if I didn’t know it was going to be. Much better.

Not sure what you mean when you say your 1080p fills up your screen better. 4k has higher resolution and should definitely not be a smaller picture.
  #4  
Old 02-02-2020, 08:44 AM
retiredguy123 retiredguy123 is offline
Sage
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 6,494
Thanks: 672
Thanked 5,027 Times in 1,832 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polar Bear View Post
I can tell when a show is 4k even if I didn’t know it was going to be. Much better.

Not sure what you mean when you say your 1080p fills up your screen better. 4k has higher resolution and should definitely not be a smaller picture.
When I switch to 4K, there is always a black space at the top and bottom of the screen. Sometimes it is only about a quarter inch, and sometimes it is about one inch.
  #5  
Old 02-02-2020, 09:10 AM
Tjjordan5 Tjjordan5 is offline
Junior Member
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 4
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Check your display settings on your tv. The TV resolution should have the 4K box checked. It activates the resolution your TV supports. If not checked it won’t display 4K.
  #6  
Old 02-02-2020, 09:24 AM
retiredguy123 retiredguy123 is offline
Sage
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 6,494
Thanks: 672
Thanked 5,027 Times in 1,832 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tjjordan5 View Post
Check your display settings on your tv. The TV resolution should have the 4K box checked. It activates the resolution your TV supports. If not checked it won’t display 4K.
My TV display setting says 3840 x 2160p 4K.
  #7  
Old 02-02-2020, 09:28 AM
JoelJohnson JoelJohnson is offline
Veteran member
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Lady Lake, FL
Posts: 623
Thanks: 389
Thanked 181 Times in 87 Posts
Default

Most people (our age group) can't see a difference between 1080p and 4K. So if you pay more for a 4K TV then you convince yourself that you CAN see the difference, but it's your money, so enjoy.
  #8  
Old 02-02-2020, 10:11 AM
Polar Bear's Avatar
Polar Bear Polar Bear is offline
Sage
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 4,677
Thanks: 221
Thanked 904 Times in 368 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
When I switch to 4K, there is always a black space at the top and bottom of the screen. Sometimes it is only about a quarter inch, and sometimes it is about one inch.
Ahh, so it's probably just a horizontal/vertical ratio thing. You probably still have a setting on your TV to allow the picture to expand to fit your screen though. Not certain, but common.
  #9  
Old 02-02-2020, 10:12 AM
Polar Bear's Avatar
Polar Bear Polar Bear is offline
Sage
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 4,677
Thanks: 221
Thanked 904 Times in 368 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelJohnson View Post
Most people (our age group) can't see a difference between 1080p and 4K. So if you pay more for a 4K TV then you convince yourself that you CAN see the difference, but it's your money, so enjoy.
"Most people..."?? Highly doubtful. Heheh. Sounds like you're one of those that can't see the difference. But it is definitely there. So please don't discourage those with good vision.
  #10  
Old 02-02-2020, 11:10 AM
retiredguy123 retiredguy123 is offline
Sage
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 6,494
Thanks: 672
Thanked 5,027 Times in 1,832 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polar Bear View Post
Ahh, so it's probably just a horizontal/vertical ratio thing. You probably still have a setting on your TV to allow the picture to expand to fit your screen though. Not certain, but common.
For some unknown reason, I think the auto expand feature only works in the 1080p mode. I have tried every TV and cable box setting I can find, and there are some channels and Netflix content that do not fill the entire screen in the 4K mode. Some cable channels are perfect, but others have a one quarter inch black band at the top of the screen. Netflix TV shows have a one inch black space at the top and bottom of the screen in the 4K mode.
  #11  
Old 02-02-2020, 11:23 AM
Tjjordan5 Tjjordan5 is offline
Junior Member
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 4
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default

There’s a huge difference in 1080 and 4K. 4K is an AMAZING picture difference !!! You need a 4K feed in order to see the difference. Just because you have your TV set to 4K doesn’t mean the channel you are watching is 4K content.
  #12  
Old 02-02-2020, 01:30 PM
retiredguy123 retiredguy123 is offline
Sage
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 6,494
Thanks: 672
Thanked 5,027 Times in 1,832 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tjjordan5 View Post
There’s a huge difference in 1080 and 4K. 4K is an AMAZING picture difference !!! You need a 4K feed in order to see the difference. Just because you have your TV set to 4K doesn’t mean the channel you are watching is 4K content.
I just tuned in to the Fox broadcast of the Super Bowl pregame show. I have to admit that the 4K picture is better than the 1080 picture. Also, the sound is better. It uses Dolby Digital Plus instead of the regular Dolby Digital. I suspect that many other shows that are advertised as 4K are actually not 4K.
  #13  
Old 02-03-2020, 06:38 AM
Northerner52 Northerner52 is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: The Villages
Posts: 459
Thanks: 119
Thanked 182 Times in 76 Posts
Default

Just bought a 4K from Best Buy. The installer said cable companies do not broadcasting 4K. You get 4K from streaming or an antenna (really)

Last edited by Northerner52; 02-03-2020 at 07:08 AM.
  #14  
Old 02-03-2020, 06:49 AM
biker1 biker1 is offline
Soaring Eagle member
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 2,476
Thanks: 1
Thanked 562 Times in 298 Posts
Default

I suspect any differences you may notice are due to HDR and not resolution increases. If you are sitting 10 feet or more from a typical set (60-75") you won't be able to see the resolution increase from 1080p to 2160p but you will notice the better color saturation from HDR.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tjjordan5 View Post
There’s a huge difference in 1080 and 4K. 4K is an AMAZING picture difference !!! You need a 4K feed in order to see the difference. Just because you have your TV set to 4K doesn’t mean the channel you are watching is 4K content.
  #15  
Old 02-03-2020, 07:06 AM
Heyitsrick Heyitsrick is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 219
Thanks: 2
Thanked 274 Times in 115 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
I just tuned in to the Fox broadcast of the Super Bowl pregame show. I have to admit that the 4K picture is better than the 1080 picture. Also, the sound is better. It uses Dolby Digital Plus instead of the regular Dolby Digital. I suspect that many other shows that are advertised as 4K are actually not 4K.
What's the exact model number of your Sony TV?
Closed Thread

Tags
cable, watching, movies, box, picture

Thread Tools

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:23 PM.