Without The Tonight Show SNL would Never Exist

Closed Thread
Old 05-23-2019, 11:18 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

When we watch the re-runs of Johnny Carson with our Friend who is hooked on the older TV shows we are entertained and laugh a whole lot. We notice that the kind of humor has changed. Jay Leno two thumbs up. Watched Letterman up till the Top Ten List and he was a great interviewer with most Big Name Guests. I want to like Jimmy Fallon but can't get there, I give him a shot once in a while but he has been coming up with NOTHING for a while, The Roots are Fantastic. The other two night wastes of time combined add up to, I wouldn't give them The Sweat Off A Grape! They are Disrespectful Zeroes!

In the old days of SNL Presidential Jokes were made and that was the end of it. The difference is now Presidential Jokes are made and then the Actor follows it up with Vulgarities shortly afterward that are unprofessional, to say the least. These actors/actresses are there to entertain us, their opinion is their own. We live in different times. This isn't going to change at all. I feel sorry about the way things are going.
Old 05-23-2019, 11:29 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

I'm certain that there is only one set of people who determine what stays and what goes on our Forum. Sir or Madam, you're not one of them with that power, thankfully. Do we need to post based on what please any one person? I think not. I don't like SNL, if you do that's beautiful.
Old 05-23-2019, 11:40 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

I don't get it either.

But Carson was the reason for SNL sez here. Now he's gone.

It takes all kinds to make a world. Some are easier to like than others.
Old 05-23-2019, 11:54 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,370 Times in 3,050 Posts

SNL is certainly not the first to get nuts with politics. Laugh-in predated SNL by around eight years, near the end of the Viet-Nam war. Now THAT was politically charged night-time TV. Carson and many others chose non-political humor over political humor. And for straight stand-up comedy and quick-thinking humor, Carson was a genius. Jack Paar was Carson's predecessor on the Tonight Show but he was too controversial and there was a lot of in-fighting, and he ended up quitting in 1962, which was when Carson took the show to the higher ratings.

I remember the Ed Sullivan Show too, and who could forget Merv Griffin! All great entertainment, mostly non-political. But those were all either talk shows or variety shows that featured interviews and "talk-show stuff.". SNL is not a talk show, nor was Laugh-In. They are political satire, comedy, and entertainment. They've never pretended to be anything else, and they're great for the genre.
Old 05-23-2019, 12:01 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,244 Times in 707 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazuela View Post
SNL is certainly not the first to get nuts with politics. Laugh-in predated SNL by around eight years, near the end of the Viet-Nam war. Now THAT was politically charged night-time TV. Carson and many others chose non-political humor over political humor. And for straight stand-up comedy and quick-thinking humor, Carson was a genius. Jack Paar was Carson's predecessor on the Tonight Show but he was too controversial and there was a lot of in-fighting, and he ended up quitting in 1962, which was when Carson took the show to the higher ratings.

I remember the Ed Sullivan Show too, and who could forget Merv Griffin! All great entertainment, mostly non-political. But those were all either talk shows or variety shows that featured interviews and "talk-show stuff.". SNL is not a talk show, nor was Laugh-In. They are political satire, comedy, and entertainment. They've never pretended to be anything else, and they're great for the genre.
Thank you...it is one thing we, in this country USED to be proud of that we can make jest of our leader.

Thanks for posting this because sometimes with all the personal, non comedic insults we forget this.

Laugh in as downright "mean" at times with the on liners
Old 05-23-2019, 01:38 PM
TOTV Moderator

A number of posts have been removed that were directed at member, off topic or political. The topic of the thread is the genesis of SNL from the old Tonight Show. Please return to the topic. It is possible to disagree without being disagreeable and/or personal.

Old 05-23-2019, 02:18 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucco View Post
Thank you...it is one thing we, in this country USED to be proud of that we can make jest of our leader.

Thanks for posting this because sometimes with all the personal, non comedic insults we forget this.

Laugh in as downright "mean" at times with the on liners
You know, all I remember from Laugh In was a lot of funny stuff, very light hearted, silly and goofy and well, just amusing. I don't remember one single "mean" one liner.

I loved the Farkles, Bart and Sparkle and Ferd. There were a passel of Farkles. I remember Edith Ann. And Sock it to me.

Here everyone...laugh a bit;

you tube. laugh in - Bing video

Last edited by graciegirl; 05-23-2019 at 02:26 PM.
Old 05-23-2019, 04:29 PM
Gold member

Here we go again!
Closed Thread

Tags
show, carson, reruns, saturday, network

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.