Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickeyD View Post
If you knew me you wouldn't ask.
Fugetabouit!
Old 08-15-2016, 04:16 AM
Sage

Just be happy they're paying the rent, if they stopped paying it could be months before you could evict them and court/attorney expenses *& pray they don't trash your home when they leave
Old 08-15-2016, 04:31 AM
Email Reported As Spam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatbrat View Post
Just be happy they're paying the rent, if they stopped paying it could be months before you could evict them and court/attorney expenses *& pray they don't trash your home when they leave
Ah the trials and tribulations of landlords
Old 08-15-2016, 05:52 AM

This is so sad, a few bad issues give all the great renters a bad name. I have rented several times in The Villages and ever time me and my loving wife have left the place better then we found it.
I hope one bad issues doesn't make you bitter..
Old 08-15-2016, 06:29 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,238 Times in 446 Posts

Not sure where this fad came from......but leave your dog at home. I am so tired of dogs everywhere. I talked to Sams manager and they stated only door person and manager at ask about service dog....if the person say yes it's a service that's the end except they can ride in carts.
Yesterday at Publix this guy had his dog no leash and no service vest or collar walked everywhere in the store no one said a word to him. I wish this public places would put their foot down and say enough is enough with this "Dog Gone Wild" stuff.
Old 08-15-2016, 08:03 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Fake Service Dog

I don't mind seeing dogs where they traditionally shouldn't be. What I do mind are the owners with the mindset of " so, what are ya gonna do about it, I know my rights " If your that hard up about a dog maybe they should get a
trans species change.
Old 08-15-2016, 09:58 AM

You can not disallow a Service or Emotional support animal in your lease. It is against the law.
Old 08-15-2016, 10:01 AM
Default Fake Service Dogs

I'm a disabled veteran, serving 34 years with the Marine Corps, both in and out of uniform. I don't like crowds, I always sit with my back against a wall in any restaurant, and am continually anxious with various surroundings. To make this short, I have a ESA (Emotional Support Animal) who is a Yorkie (Silky), who is certified (with certificate), papers, ID's and vest. She brings comfort to me when we're around people (more than a dozen or so). The tenant who has this dog, MUST, at your request, present you with his/her certification. Anyone can buy a vest or borrow one from a friend. This does NOT make this dog a service dog. However, to have/need/require a service dog, is different for everyone. I don't have to have her with me when I golf, with friends, etc. And never bring her into a restaurant, or grocery store, but when I fly on an aircraft, she's sitting with me, as well as what I described above. Once again he/she (tenant) MUST present their certification, and what kind of service the dog provides. Hope this helps.....
Old 08-15-2016, 10:18 AM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,298 Times in 536 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunny View Post
I'm a disabled veteran, serving 34 years with the Marine Corps, both in and out of uniform. I don't like crowds, I always sit with my back against a wall in any restaurant, and am continually anxious with various surroundings. To make this short, I have a ESA (Emotional Support Animal) who is a Yorkie (Silky), who is certified (with certificate), papers, ID's and vest. She brings comfort to me when we're around people (more than a dozen or so). The tenant who has this dog, MUST, at your request, present you with his/her certification. Anyone can buy a vest or borrow one from a friend. This does NOT make this dog a service dog. However, to have/need/require a service dog, is different for everyone. I don't have to have her with me when I golf, with friends, etc. And never bring her into a restaurant, or grocery store, but when I fly on an aircraft, she's sitting with me, as well as what I described above. Once again he/she (tenant) MUST present their certification, and what kind of service the dog provides. Hope this helps.....
Where does a person go to get this Certificate? County, State? There seems to be mass confusion about "service dogs".
Old 08-15-2016, 11:09 AM

I was in the Golden Corral a couple years ago when a man and his spouse brought there "sevice dog " in with them.I know a little about service dogs and was aware of certain laws.This dog that they had with had on a service vest,but was not by any means trained.He was eating off the floor and about 10 to 15 feet from the woman on a least(also this was a minature doverman)not the service animal type...I watched for several minutes when the man went over to the soup section and picked up an empty bowl and went back to his table..I was appauled..I got up and went by just so I could see better and the dog was sitting in the chair..I went and called the waitress over and informed them of what was going on..The people said that as long as the dog was in a holder,it was Ok..Not with me,I went home ,found out a lot more about the laws and regulations with the service dog industury..I then went back to the Golden Corral and tried to talk with the MGR..i tried for several times to inform her of the problem.Even called Golden Corral ahead quarters about the problems....-I made copies of the laws and went back to Golden Corral,the MGR was (also the co owner) very rude ..she called the local ploice and had me removed and a trespassing warrant put on me..i WOULD NOT LET MY DOG BACK IN THIS PLACE ..RUDE ,NASTY MANAGER AND NOT A GOOD REPRESENTATIVE FOR GOLDEN CORRAL...I WOULD NOT EAT THERE FOR ANYTHING..THANKS FOR LISTENING...
Old 08-15-2016, 11:39 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisha2 View Post
You can not disallow a Service or Emotional support animal in your lease. It is against the law.

If you have only one rental, yes you can.
Old 08-15-2016, 12:13 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunny View Post
Bless you for your service to our Country. I side with you and all others who need or have a Comfort Dog. I also side with people who take a handicapped parking space. I also think if you approach someone about their animal or parking space you deserve to be put in your place. Who Deputized you Mr or Mrs Barney Fife? Live your own life and let others live theirs. As far as a tenant leaving a dog behind when they choose to go out didn't this cross your mind before you took the rent? Did you mention that the dog destroyed the house? Your tenant may have been having a great day and ventured out alone to give the dog a break. Maybe it was so hot out the tenant wanted Fido to stay in the A/C.

I'm sure the landlord is a fine person but maybe the tenant was out looking for a place where they would be more serene without the landlord on the property three days in a row. I had a grand plan years ago to buy four houses in one neighborhood and fortunately got to purchase three of them. In a moment of honest self appraisal I realized I wasn't cut out for the landlord thing. It sure was great when things were running smoothly which was hardly ever. I sold all three houses and moved from the area. Not one of those houses had a garage but if they did I would have been the one worrying about a tenant's dog and being a pain. I just couldn't help not surveying the property I owned. At that time I was not fit to be a landlord...short tempered and when I thought about threatening someone about the rent being late I knew to let the dream go and dream a new dream.

After 20 plus years of not being a landlord I believe in 2017 I am going back into business in TV or the surrounding area. I'm more comfortable with myself and will not be the pain I know I was in the past. Think it through before you rent again before something bad happens. Take Care.
Old 08-15-2016, 12:28 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Fake Service Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nucky View Post
Bless you for your service to our Country. I side with you and all others who need or have a Comfort Dog. I also side with people who take a handicapped parking space. I also think if you approach someone about their animal or parking space you deserve to be put in your place. Who Deputized you Mr or Mrs Barney Fife? Live your own life and let others live theirs. As far as a tenant leaving a dog behind when they choose to go out didn't this cross your mind before you took the rent? Did you mention that the dog destroyed the house? Your tenant may have been having a great day and ventured out alone to give the dog a break. Maybe it was so hot out the tenant wanted Fido to stay in the A/C.

I'm sure the landlord is a fine person but maybe the tenant was out looking for a place where they would be more serene without the landlord on the property three days in a row. I had a grand plan years ago to buy four houses in one neighborhood and fortunately got to purchase three of them. In a moment of honest self appraisal I realized I wasn't cut out for the landlord thing. It sure was great when things were running smoothly which was hardly ever. I sold all three houses and moved from the area. Not one of those houses had a garage but if they did I would have been the one worrying about a tenant's dog and being a pain. I just couldn't help not surveying the property I owned. At that time I was not fit to be a landlord...short tempered and when I thought about threatening someone about the rent being late I knew to let the dream go and dream a new dream.

After 20 plus years of not being a landlord I believe in 2017 I am going back into business in TV or the surrounding area. I'm more comfortable with myself and will not be the pain I know I was in the past. Think it through before you rent again before something bad happens. Take Care.

A work buddy of mine owns 2 rentals just south of TV. He tells me the eviction process is much quicker and less of a hassle in FL than it is up north. The tenants know this as well.
Old 08-15-2016, 07:22 PM

i love my dog and would like to have him with me while flying. i know anyone can get fake certificates, vests and what-not on the internet. i just can't because i am afraid i might spoil it for others who really need their service animal or support animal. i know that both types are legitimate and that some people depend on their animals and i don't want to ruin it for them. also, there are some places animals do not need to be AS PETS. so my dog will stay at home when i go to music on a weeknight. i would feel horrible if he would accidentally trip someone in the crowd.
Closed Thread

Tags
dog, service, tenants, fake, house

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.