Home insurance increase cost

Closed Thread
Old 10-05-2020, 02:58 PM

Thankfully we have insurance through USAA. I’m so glad it’s not with a local company after hearing multiple stories like this.
Old 10-05-2020, 03:26 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,420 Times in 5,110 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladygolfer93 View Post
So, are you saying your premium is $650 like some have said on here, and you refuse to pay it when you get a premium rate increase, they will leave it the same for you ??? I think there is more to it...... been to two agencies now and going to a third for an opinion. Two have said #1 it will be nearly impossible to find a company to insure a home with a roof more than 15 years old, and, nearly 100% if you are accepted, the premium will be even higher. One thing for the many on our street who got the new "free" roofs this summer...... those whose insurance bills have come find they WERE LOWERED..... and pretty substantial at that ! So, if you are willing to make out a false claim of roof damage, you get a brand new roof for the cost of the deductible AND you get a significant reduction in your annual premium. So, allowing "inspectors" does pay ! I have witnessed that right on my block !
I would never allow a door-to-door roofer to inspect my roof. These are predators trying to defraud your insurance company. Some of them will deliberately damage your roof to get a claim approved. The honest way to do it is to contact your insurance company directly and have them send out an adjuster to inspect the roof. If you don't agree with their inspection, you can hire an independent inspector for a second opinion. If your roof is more than 15 years old, you should consider replacing it anyway.

If my insurance company were to raise my premium by 50 percent or more, I would shop around and change companies. It does not pay be loyal to any one company. Also, I do not think your agent has the power to negotiate your premium to a lower rate. All they do is collect whatever premium the company sets. The rates are set by the company, not by the agent. And, I don't think filing a claim has much to do with the premium you pay. Homeowners insurance does not work the same way as auto insurance regarding individual claim history and premiums.
Old 10-21-2020, 02:39 PM
Veteran member

I got my renewal bill from American Integrity today and it went up almost $800. Now 1700. No claims.
Old 10-21-2020, 03:18 PM
Platinum member

Just left AI for AAA. Premiums for two cars and the house were bundled and cost $1K less than house alone with AI.
Old 10-21-2020, 04:30 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NancyLee View Post
It appears that your neighbor will be paying for his/her new roof out of pocket. That's the way I did it. I never even considered asking the insurance company to pay for my replacement roof. Roofs age, it's not the insurance's fault.
You pay for insurance to cover insurability damage. Why not have a reputable roofer check out the roof to see if there is a legitimate claim to submit. Your insurance company can always turn it down, but if you are not a roofing expert I don’t see any reason not to follow up on all options.
Old 10-23-2020, 09:49 AM
Default Catastrophic ground collapse vs sinkhole coverage

Quote:
Originally Posted by coconutmama View Post
Totally agree. First realized the politician/insurance company relationship in FL when Gov Scott backed the insurance companies, over consumers, regarding sinkhole coverage. Not right
If the State of Florida had not made changes the companies would have left Florida and not offered any property insurance. There was so many sinkhole claims being filed and properties not being repaired. It was as bad as the roof claims going on today. You still have the opportunity to purchase sinkhole coverage For an additional premium. There will always be something because people area always looking for something free. The sad part is honest, ethical consumers end up paying in the long run.
Due to population growth (more construction) there are more windstorm claims in Florida (more dollars paid out for claims) which drives premiums up.

Last edited by SharonW; 10-23-2020 at 09:52 AM. Reason: Add
Closed Thread

Tags
home, years, year, increase, water

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.