Home insurance increase cost

Closed Thread
Old 10-02-2020, 10:20 AM
Default Home insurance increase cost

American Integrity has once again raised our yearly home owner policy by 1300 dollars!
2 years ago it was 857.00 last year we had one claim for a water leak in 18 years .it then went up to 1,121 this year it is 2,418 and no claims! Did every one experienced such an increase?
Old 10-02-2020, 11:35 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,411 Times in 5,104 Posts

Homeowners insurance increases are totally unpredictable. The claim you filed may have had nothing to do with the premium increase. But, a huge increase like that would cause me to shop around for a better rate.
Old 10-02-2020, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gramaluz View Post
American Integrity has once again raised our yearly home owner policy by 1300 dollars!
2 years ago it was 857.00 last year we had one claim for a water leak in 18 years .it then went up to 1,121 this year it is 2,418 and no claims! Did every one experienced such an increase?
Have American Integrity, have been extremely fortunate to have never have had a home owner's claim ever, with any company we've been with (American Family, State Farm, and Horace Mann in other states on other homes). American Integrity more than doubled our last annual premium, from $847 to just short of $1700. Was told even though we have never even had any contact with them (our "agent" prefers on line communication and bill paying only directly to American Integrity, never wanted any personal contact or direct communication even before the virus), but seems the "roofing" scam going around ALL of Florida, where people with roofs that are near, or at the end of their useful lives (18 years, 20, etc.) turn in scam claims of "storm damage". The door to door solicitors representing roofing companies even supply the dates and make out the "claims". Due to Florida's insurance laws, it is much cheaper from insurance companies to simply honor the claim, an since an 8 to 10K roof is going to cost them roughly half of that. It would be much more expensive to go to court since the insurance company could be paying attorneys for years if all the legal procedures for delaying are used. At the per hour price this would run far far more than a roof that the wholesale cost could be as low as 5K. So the scam goes on. The only "losers" in this situation are those of us who refuse to accept the "free" roofs offered to us, or, whose homes are just too new to even consider the need for a new roof. This is not germane to the Villages, I have "native" Floridians in my family, it has gone on for years. They (roofers) go from one community to another similar to ours (Dell Webb, etc.) until they have "hit" all the homes in the age range (usually around 17, 18 an insurance broker told me). Then they move on to the next, while ALL the people in Florida pay for the new roofs rather they took the offer or not. Seem crazy ? That's what I told the broker who is the owner of the agency, he said, "that's the way it is here, the insurance laws MUST be changed but no one (politicians) seem to have any interest in pushing that at all". His take was the insurance industry contributes so heavily to the coffers of the state politicians that they have no strong motivation to to overhaul Florida's insurance laws.... that was his take on it, that nothing will change, and that there is very little chance we could simply change to a different company. As a broker, he's looking for us, but changing my cause even more increases !
Old 10-02-2020, 12:34 PM
Sage

Quote:
My annual premium with Progressive is only $655. If they doubled my rate, I would shop around. I don't think the local agents or brokers have any idea why some companies raise their rates, and some don't. It's above their pay grade. But, I do know that insurance companies do not reward loyal customers. They practice "price optimization". So, if you are willing to accept a huge premium increase this year, then, you will probably be willing to accept another huge increase next year.
Old 10-02-2020, 01:05 PM
Location: Detroit, Mi. Greenville, Mi. Royal Oak, Mi, The Villages

It is amazing that the insurance policies are written in such a way that a roof that fails when it is 20 years old and and roof that fails at 5 years old are valued the same. I do not understand why they do not have wear and tear written in the policy so that they will only cover 20% or so of the replacement of an older roof, the same method used for car tires.
I know of one instance where the customer was told that the weather incident to report was hail on a certain day and time. I didn't have any hail at my house and I live 60 feet away. Must have been selective hail. Someone is pocketing a lot of money.
We need new blood in the Florida Insurance Commission in Tallahassee.
Old 10-02-2020, 01:09 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,937 Times in 5,277 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
My annual premium with Progressive is only $655. If they doubled my rate, I would shop around. I don't think the local agents or brokers have any idea why some companies raise their rates, and some don't. It's above their pay grade. But, I do know that insurance companies do not reward loyal customers. They practice "price optimization". So, if you are willing to accept a huge premium increase this year, then, you will probably be willing to accept another huge increase next year.
They charge what the traffic will bear
Old 10-02-2020, 01:19 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by missyomama View Post
It is amazing that the insurance policies are written in such a way that a roof that fails when it is 20 years old and and roof that fails at 5 years old are valued the same. I do not understand why they do not have wear and tear written in the policy so that they will only cover 20% or so of the replacement of an older roof, the same method used for car tires.
I know of one instance where the customer was told that the weather incident to report was hail on a certain day and time. I didn't have any hail at my house and I live 60 feet away. Must have been selective hail. Someone is pocketing a lot of money.
It depends on what type of coverage you buy, "actual cash value" or "replacement cost". If you buy actual cash value insurance, you will only get a prorated amount for a roof claim, but your premiums wll be lower. Many insurance agents will try to sell you replacement cost insurance because it has a higher premium and they make more money selling it.
Old 10-02-2020, 01:24 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by missyomama View Post
The insurance policy is probably a replacement policy and not the cash value of the item lost. Replacement policies are the way to go as construction
costs go up each year.
Old 10-02-2020, 07:23 PM
Sage
Thanked 8,930 Times in 2,700 Posts

Quote:
Thank the people scamming the insurance companies for a free new roof. Somebody has to pay for the roofs, because somebody’s free stuff is someone else’s liability.
Old 10-02-2020, 08:55 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,937 Times in 5,277 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
Thank the people scamming the insurance companies for a free new roof. Somebody has to pay for the roofs, because somebody’s free stuff is someone else’s liability.
Sad but very true
Old 10-03-2020, 05:03 AM

Our American Integrity Insurance rate on our Villa rental property raised from $600.00 to $900.00 annual. We shopped around and found USAA at just under $600.00
This property still has the original roof which is checking out to be good.
Old 10-03-2020, 05:11 AM

I was paying $800 with liberty mutual for 10 years never put in a claim Then I had a tree fall on my house during a storm and put in a small claim after that my insurance went up every year for the next 10 years two 2500 my advice never put in a claim unless less you really have to but what gets me the most is all the friendly insurance commercials on Television like they are the friendliest people in the world and your claim is settled the same day most of the commercials look like they’re for a two-year-old it took three weeks to settle my claim and half a dozen phone calls and then They only pay for half my advice don’t use it unless you really have to
Old 10-03-2020, 05:15 AM

We are UK citizens with a second home in TV. We are shocked at the cost of home insurance in the US. Our UK home costs $300 per year for total cover and replacement as new on furniture and personal items. Our US home insurance went up just like OP. This year the rate was quoted as $2300 . We asked The Villages Insurance if they could do better. You would think they would do this automatically- but no. Their new quote with another company was $800 for exactly the same cover. We had a full roof replacement ($13000) last year. So a claim doesn’t seem to affect the price. In the UK we have a culture of checking each year and usually switching supplier. It seems that to get the best price we need to do the same in the US. Hope that helps OP.
Old 10-03-2020, 05:19 AM
Thanked 1,306 Times in 237 Posts

Quote:
It’s all about the age of your roof in most cases.
My neighbors insurance through American Integrity was going to go very high. They are getting a roof put on the middle of this month and their premium will drop down again. Their roof is 20 years old.
Old 10-03-2020, 05:23 AM

As long as there are so many natural disasters, rates will go up. The insurance companies need to recoup their losses to maintain healthy reserves, and remain solvent.
Closed Thread

Tags
home, years, year, increase, water

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.