Masks

Closed Thread
Old 10-25-2020, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pirwin View Post
Not wearing a mask in public means you do not care if you give covid-19 to someone else. It is a personal statement of selfishness. Unless you have already recovered from the virus and tested negative twice, you can have no confidence that you are virus-free, no matter how healthy you feel. Even after recovery, it is not established how long you retain immunity. Thus, you are taking a chance with the lives of those around you, when you do not wear a mask in public. That is un-American.
Seriously?

I’ll bet you spent the last 50 years allowing well over a million people to die from the flu and you never wore a mask once.

If you want to mask shame someone, go look in the mirror.
Old 10-26-2020, 10:22 AM
Sage
Thanked 12,912 Times in 4,143 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagebob View Post
Seriously?

I’ll bet you spent the last 50 years allowing well over a million people to die from the flu and you never wore a mask once.

Best response yet.

That doesn't mean not to wear a mask, WHEN APPROPRIATE. It simply means that masks are not required 24/7/365 and therefore if someone is not wearing a mask WHEN IT IS APPROPRIATE TO NOT WEAR A MASK, then the mask fanatics should keep their yaps shut.
Old 10-26-2020, 10:55 AM
Veteran member

Europe is now in lockdown
Old 10-26-2020, 11:50 AM

I don't recall the "flu" killing over 225,000 people in one year (so far) that it wouldn't cause alarm and cause the government to step in to protect the public. Maybe back in 1918? They started wearing masks then too, once they realized face coverings helped control the pandemic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagebob View Post
Seriously?

Old 10-26-2020, 11:56 AM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,204 Times in 740 Posts

This is the weirdest time I can remember in my personal memory of history — as a Boomer. I remember almost all of the last half of the last century and, of course, all of this century.

The refusal to do something as simple as putting on a mask, when in public, is trashing the economy. And, yet, the anti-maskers think they are patriotic.

Super-spreader events will not result in every following case being reported so people should not cling to irrational conclusions.

About that temperature-taking thing — sure, it helps, but a lot of it could be mostly theater because a significant percentage of those carrying the virus do not initially run a fever.

I find it mind-boggling that there are people who can cheer on those who constantly let them know that everyday Americans are disposable.

I do understand that the emotional part of the brain can be compromised with some people more than others. . .

(This observation of how our brains can work got me thinking about years ago when I thought I would find out if I could be hypnotized. I can’t.

I also am a tough, often an impossible sell, especially with those “financial guys” who think this ol’ girl does not have a clue.

And back in the old days of drive-in theaters and parking, I never, ever fell for those “You would if you loved me” lines.)

But that’s just how I am and I hope how I will always be.

Just put on the damned mask. Critical thinking concludes that doing so will help the economy.

Boomer

Last edited by Boomer; 10-26-2020 at 12:28 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 10-26-2020, 02:51 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
This is the weirdest time I can remember in my personal memory of history — as a Boomer. I remember almost all of the last half of the last century and, of course, all of this century.

The refusal to do something as simple as putting on a mask, when in public, is trashing the economy. And, yet, the anti-maskers think they are patriotic.

Super-spreader events will not result in every following case being reported so people should not cling to irrational conclusions.

About that temperature-taking thing — sure, it helps, but a lot of it could be mostly theater because a significant percentage of those carrying the virus do not initially run a fever.

I find it mind-boggling that there are people who can cheer on those who constantly let them know that everyday Americans are disposable.

I do understand that the emotional part of the brain can be compromised with some people more than others. . .

(This observation of how our brains can work got me thinking about years ago when I thought I would find out if I could be hypnotized. I can’t.

I also am a tough, often an impossible sell, especially with those “financial guys” who think this ol’ girl does not have a clue.

And back in the old days of drive-in theaters and parking, I never, ever fell for those “You would if you loved me” lines.)

Just put on the damned mask. Critical thinking concludes that doing so will help the economy.

Boomer
I agree with this post 99.9%. The only part I would edit would be to change the last line to: "Just put on the damned mask." WHEN APPROPRIATE

I think this implied by most people who post "wear a mask", but I've seen plenty of examples of people wearing a mask in absurd situations.
Old 10-26-2020, 03:39 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,370 Times in 3,050 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
I agree with this post 99.9%. The only part I would edit would be to change the last line to: "Just put on the damned mask." WHEN APPROPRIATE

I think this implied by most people who post "wear a mask", but I've seen plenty of examples of people wearing a mask in absurd situations.
The problem with your inclusion of "when appropriate" is that some folks prefer to be the ones deciding what constitutes "appropriate" and what doesn't.

To wit - the one who refuses to wear a mask, anywhere, any time, and has no intention of stopping his life to stay home and isolate away from other people. HE has decided what is appropriate for him, and damn anyone who might accidentally be in close proximity the one time in three months that his body decides to sneeze. Sucks to be everyone else, but this one guy is doing what he feels is appropriate to himself.

Meanwhile, back in the real world, there are still signs outside buildings urging people to wear masks. And most of them do. But many of the ones who do, wear them UNDER their noses instead of ON their noses. Because that is how they have decided mask-wearing is appropriate to them.

The word "appropriate" is subjective until you make an actual rule, and enforce it. That means mandates, which no one seems to want.
Old 10-26-2020, 03:45 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
The problem with your inclusion of "when appropriate" is that some folks prefer to be the ones deciding what constitutes "appropriate" and what doesn't.

To wit - the one who refuses to wear a mask, anywhere, any time, and has no intention of stopping his life to stay home and isolate away from other people. HE has decided what is appropriate for him, and damn anyone who might accidentally be in close proximity the one time in three months that his body decides to sneeze. Sucks to be everyone else, but this one guy is doing what he feels is appropriate to himself.

Meanwhile, back in the real world, there are still signs outside buildings urging people to wear masks. And most of them do. But many of the ones who do, wear them UNDER their noses instead of ON their noses. Because that is how they have decided mask-wearing is appropriate to them.

The word "appropriate" is subjective until you make an actual rule, and enforce it. That means mandates, which no one seems to want.
Good point!
But the answer to those who think never wearing a mask is appropriate is not to wear one 24/7/365

I would suggest appropriate is:
When a sign states it is required
When you are indoors but can't guarantee social distancing, such as the grocery store
Outdoors in a crowd (if you actually wade into a crowd)

Not appropriate is:
When driving alone in a car or cart
When cycling
When golfing
When playing pickle ball (although that sport may have some other issues)
When sitting alone in a chair in your driveway.

Now those times may seem absurd, but I have seen each and every one of those scenarios multiple times
Old 10-26-2020, 04:00 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,445 Times in 580 Posts

Quote:
Good point!
But the answer to those who think never wearing a mask is appropriate is not to wear one 24/7/365

I would suggest appropriate is:
When a sign states it is required
When you are indoors but can't guarantee social distancing, such as the grocery store
Outdoors in a crowd (if you actually wade into a crowd)

Not appropriate is:
When cycling
When golfing

Now those times may seem absurd, but I have seen each and every one of those scenarios multiple times
Not appropriate is:
When cycling
When golfing

Now those times may seem absurd, but I have seen each and every one of those scenarios multiple times.
So what why should it bother you. I have seen the same so what!
Old 10-26-2020, 04:01 PM
Soaring Parsley

Quote:

Boomer

Quote:

Oh my, my, I do declare, thank you for the agreement, golfing eagles.

But, I must issue a re-direct that should give me a 100% agreement from you — please revisit my 2nd paragraph where I wrote “in public.”

Of course, we could debate my wording, I suppose.(Sometimes my bad angel likes to join that “dance on the head of a pin.”)

You have said you see people wearing masks while driving alone. I do not see these people you speak of.

But I do know, second-hand personally, someone who caught the virus by riding in a car with her then asymptomatic friend. I am more careful. Mr. Boomer is my only ride.

When my doc’s office called me on the day of my appointment to see if I would be willing to Zoom because they are trying to cut back on in-person visits, I did so. (My northern city’s cases are on the rise.)

He is a highly respected, smart, kind man and when he tells me something, I listen. I really wanted to see him in his office, but I decided that if my ability to Zoom could help everybody, all around, I could do that. He and I did OK with that appointment, 2020-style.

I must admit that I was starting to get a little bit casual — not a lot — but somewhat. But then that call from my doc’s office got my attention — and, btw, in case you are wondering, I did not wear my mask for my Zoom appointment.

Zoom Zoom Boomer

Last edited by Boomer; 10-26-2020 at 04:12 PM.
Old 10-26-2020, 04:19 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dana1963 View Post

Now those times may seem absurd, but I have seen each and every one of those scenarios multiple times.
So what why should it bother you. I have seen the same so what!
Doesn't particularly "bother' me, but I do think it adds to the mask hysteria
Old 10-26-2020, 04:20 PM
Sage

Quote:
I must admit that I was starting to get a little bit casual — not a lot — but somewhat. But then that call from my doc’s office got my attention — and, btw, in case you are wondering, I did not wear my mask for my Zoom appointment.

Zoom Zoom Boomer
Thank God for that!

But it wouldn't surprise me if some people did

(Mea culpa---there are some members who don't think anything remotely related to COVID is funny)
Old 10-26-2020, 04:30 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,374 Times in 497 Posts

Does anybody think that all of these mask threads are going to change anyone’s mind?
Old 10-26-2020, 04:36 PM
Soaring Parsley

Quote:
Thank God for that!

But it wouldn't surprise me if some people did

(Mea culpa---there are some members who don't think anything remotely related to COVID is funny)

I thought you might appreciate that smart-azzed remark from me. But (sigh) you did not quote my entire post. Being quoted out of context can be my Achilles Heel, wounds me sometimes. (Oh dear, I should not have revealed that info. Uh, oh)
Old 10-26-2020, 04:45 PM
Sage

Quote:
I thought you might appreciate that smart-azzed remark from me. But (sigh) you did not quote my entire post. Being quoted out of context can be my Achilles Heel, wounds me sometimes. (Oh dear, I should not have revealed that info. Uh, oh)
It didn't go unnoticed, but now expect many out of context quotes
Closed Thread

Tags
mask, public, wear, virus-free, recovery

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.