New mobile phone version of TOTV coming!

Closed Thread
Old 04-27-2016, 02:10 PM
Administrator
Default New mobile phone version of TOTV coming!

To all TOTV Users:

It is many times difficult to navigate and use any full version website on a mobile phone. To make it a better user experience, web sites will often produce a condensed version of the website to be automatically displayed when accessing through a mobile phone.

The TOTV Team has been diligently working on this mobile phone version and plan to release this over the next several days to all users! We are excited to be able to offer you this improved user experience and hope that you find it even more enjoyable to keep up with all the latest that is going on in The Villages Florida!

Please see answers to frequently asked questions in regards to this new enhancement:

Q: What do I need to do as a user to experience this new enhancement?
A: Nothing. When you access the site through your mobile phone you will automatically see the mobile phone version displayed.

Q: Will I be able to log in and access all the great features of TOTV through my user account?
A: Yes. You will use your exact same log in credentials and can log into TOTV through your mobile phone and have access to post a thread, reply, use chat box, Private messaging, and the classifieds as well as everything that you could through the desktop version.

Q: This sounds like a lot of work. Will everything function perfectly?
A: This has been a huge development project. As can be expected with any web development like this there very well could be 'bugs' that need to be corrected. If you experience an issue please use the contact us at the bottom of the webpage or you can reply to this thread and we can research and correct.

Q: What is the cost of this new enhancement?
A: FREE. As with any aspect of the TOTV website every feature is 100% free. This is made possible by the site sponsors so please use them whenever possible and let them know you found them on TOTV!

Attention TAP-A-TALK users: Tap-A-Talk is an app that a user downloads and uses in place of a website that has a mobile friendly version of the website. We are not affiliated with this company. As a result we will not support Tap-A-Talk going forward. So you may find that Tap-A-Talk may not work on your mobile phone with TOTV in the future. Please begin using the mobile phone version after we release this to everyone so you can begin to migrate from Tap-A-Talk to the mobile friendly version of TOTV without any interruptions.

Below is a sneak peek at some screen shots of how the new mobile version will look on an iPhone.

Thank you in advance for reading this notice and for all your support!

TOTV Team

TalkofTheVillages.com serving The Villages for 10 years! The #1 website in The Villages Florida!
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7090.jpg
Views:	651
Size:	27.0 KB
ID:	59393   The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7091.jpg
Views:	589
Size:	32.0 KB
ID:	59394   The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7092.jpg
Views:	532
Size:	33.5 KB
ID:	59395   The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7093.jpg
Views:	498
Size:	29.0 KB
ID:	59396   The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7094.jpg
Views:	496
Size:	20.3 KB
ID:	59397  

Old 04-27-2016, 05:34 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOTV Team View Post
To all TOTV Users:

It is many times difficult to navigate and use any full version website on a mobile phone. To make it a better user experience, web sites will often produce a condensed version of the website to be automatically displayed when accessing through a mobile phone.

The TOTV Team has been diligently working on this mobile phone version and plan to release this over the next several days to all users! We are excited to be able to offer you this improved user experience and hope that you find it even more enjoyable to keep up with all the latest that is going on in The Villages Florida!

Please see answers to frequently asked questions in regards to this new enhancement:

Q: What do I need to do as a user to experience this new enhancement?
A: Nothing. When you access the site through your mobile phone you will automatically see the mobile phone version displayed.

Q: Will I be able to log in and access all the great features of TOTV through my user account?
A: Yes. You will use your exact same log in credentials and can log into TOTV through your mobile phone and have access to post a thread, reply, use chat box, Private messaging, and the classifieds as well as everything that you could through the desktop version.

Q: This sounds like a lot of work. Will everything function perfectly?
A: This has been a huge development project. As can be expected with any web development like this there very well could be 'bugs' that need to be corrected. If you experience an issue please use the contact us at the bottom of the webpage or you can reply to this thread and we can research and correct.

Q: What is the cost of this new enhancement?
A: FREE. As with any aspect of the TOTV website every feature is 100% free. This is made possible by the site sponsors so please use them whenever possible and let them know you found them on TOTV!

Attention TAP-A-TALK users: Tap-A-Talk is an app that a user downloads and uses in place of a website that has a mobile friendly version of the website. We are not affiliated with this company. As a result we will not support Tap-A-Talk going forward. So you may find that Tap-A-Talk may not work on your mobile phone with TOTV in the future. Please begin using the mobile phone version after we release this to everyone so you can begin to migrate from Tap-A-Talk to the mobile friendly version of TOTV without any interruptions.

Below is a sneak peek at some screen shots of how the new mobile version will look on an iPhone.

Thank you in advance for reading this notice and for all your support!

TOTV Team

TalkofTheVillages.com serving The Villages for 10 years! The #1 website in The Villages Florida!
So I still have to access TOTV on your actual website? Tapatalk is a quick and easy app...are you considering making an app for TOTV?

Sent from my SM-N910R4 using Tapatalk
Old 04-27-2016, 08:40 PM
Sage

Not sure what is meant by supporting Tapatalk. Tapatalk simply taps into an existing forum. I don't think it needs support from the forum itself.

I hope this doesn't mean ToTV will take specific action to keep Tapatalk from being compatible with ToTV!?!
Old 04-27-2016, 09:07 PM
Sage

It would be nice to actually use the classified and political forums

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920AZ using Tapatalk
Old 04-28-2016, 09:17 AM
Administrator

These are good questions.

Tap-A-Talk requires someone to download their App to access a mobile friendly version. With our new enhancement you will not need to do that. When you are on your phone and you go to the TOTV website you will automatically see a mobile friendly TOTV. So we would not make an app as that is one more step a user has to take to get to the same experience.

Tap-A-Talk requires the website owner to allow and make certain files accessible by their App. We only allowed participation and the work as there wasn't another option. Now that we will have a mobile friendly version we will not have a need to continue this.

Issues with Tap-A-Talk that we have no control over because it is a 3rd party product and app:

1) No control over security or user information shared. Remember with TAT your are NOT on the TOTV website or server. We have no control over any data, passwords, or user activity or information on TAT or what they do with it.

2) In political forums the user name is shown instead of guest. With our new mobile version this will be corrected.

3) Requires user to go and download an app, grant Tap-A-Talk access to your privacy to be able to view a mobile friendly version.

4) Search engines (Google, Safari, Bing, etc) penalize websites that do not have a mobile friendly version. An App does not fill this requirement.

5) No access to certain areas of the TOTV website with TAT such as classifieds. With our new mobile version you will have access to all areas of the TOTV website.

Our goal is to have the mobile friendly version an even better experience for the Majority of users than ever before.

Our ask is to try using it for a number of days, get use to it, and provide any improvement suggestions you may have.

Thanks in advance for your support,

TOTV Team
Old 04-28-2016, 10:22 AM
Sage

I respect everything you're saying with respect ToTV intentions and usability on mobile devices. But there is one feature that Tapatalk provides that I (and I would venture to say other ToTV users) consider critical...

Tapatalk is single point access to many internet forums I use, not just ToTV. I don't have to change applications to access all the various forums I use regularly. That is a major plus.
Old 04-30-2016, 10:24 AM

The bottom of the opening page states you are not associated with The Villages. Who are you if not The Villages/
Old 04-30-2016, 03:07 PM
Platinum member

I agree with Polar Bear 100%. For someone who has not owned a computer for more than 10 years I find TOTV's website in general very antiquated. My phone serves as my computer. Tapatalk is simple to use. I don't think clicking on Google, clicking on a saved bookmark, which then directs me to TOTV, clicking on my sign in page, signing in and then being able to use TOTV is easier than clicking once in Tapatalk ad having access to all of the blogging forums I want at my fingertips... bad move for TOTV to not support Tapatalk OR create an app. Most big companies have mobile version apps..

Old 04-30-2016, 03:15 PM

I have to assume you have gone to the new stuff as I can now see the classifieds for the first time- thank you so much!!!
��
Taught physics and chemistry to teenagers for 37 years!! Started out in Rhinebeck,NY and ended up in Havre de Grace, MD-moved to Buttonwood full time and then moved to Labelle, but still go north to do some goose/deer hunting !!!!
Old 04-30-2016, 05:06 PM

The Tapatalk feature I use the most is the ability to sequentially read previously unread postings, regardless of sub forum. I do not have to navigate anywhere other than to go to next item. If I need to find a previous item I just search.
I have tried the new site but will remain with Tapatalk until it disappears, at which time so will I unless I need to find something specific. Please keep the functionality.
Old 04-30-2016, 09:46 PM
Sage

I lost my tapatalk today, too bad. The "new" site is slow, full of ads. too bad.

On the plus side, I can see classified and political forum are now usable as posts remain anonymous.

If I could write this review anonymously I would say..... just make it compatible with TAPATALK PLEASE
Old 05-01-2016, 09:51 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffj12 View Post
The Tapatalk feature I use the most is the ability to sequentially read previously unread postings, regardless of sub forum. I do not have to navigate anywhere other than to go to next item. If I need to find a previous item I just search.
I have tried the new site but will remain with Tapatalk until it disappears, at which time so will I unless I need to find something specific. Please keep the functionality.
It appears the new mobile site does not take you to the last read post, big problem. Additionally the classified posts do not show price and requires additional clicking. Also, no timeline? Too many ads. This is a disaster, please bring back the tapatalk, even crippled it's better than mobile site.
Old 05-01-2016, 07:32 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allegiance View Post
It appears the new mobile site does not take you to the last read post, big problem. Additionally the classified posts do not show price and requires additional clicking. Also, no timeline? Too many ads. This is a disaster, please bring back the tapatalk, even crippled it's better than mobile site.
My Tapatalk still works and when it stops working bye bye TOTV. The "new and improved" website is not mobile phone user friendly!

Old 06-21-2016, 08:40 AM
Default Posting to classifieds

I have latest iPhone. While I can see classifieds, I can't find a place to post a new ad. It appears on my iPad but not on my phone.
Old 07-22-2016, 03:30 AM
Sage

Seems after the android marshmallow phone update my tapatalk can not access any totv classified nor can my phone even get to the mobile site mentioned the original post. Any advice from the techies? Thanks
Closed Thread

Tags
mobile, totv, phone, version, user, website, tap-a-talk, experience, enhancement, villages, log, users, access, begin, find, development, support, florida, web, friendly, thread, site, work, automatically, team

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.