expanding cart path access

Closed Thread
Old 06-22-2008, 06:43 PM
Default expanding cart path access

Read in the paper today where a nearby development is trying to get access to the Villages cart paths under the guise of expanding them to allow further access to commercial establishments. I belive this is something we Villagers should not want. It is our money that maintains the paths, provides golf cart parking at events, etc. Just wondering how others feel. While Lady Lake seems to be against the concept (money shortages) the activists are now going to the state for support. Any comments?
Old 06-22-2008, 06:55 PM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch
Default Re: expanding cart path access

It doesn't sound like it will happen. The costs are just too high and no one is willing to pay for it and, from what I read, the logistics make it pretty difficult.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 06-22-2008, 07:24 PM

This needs to be stopped at all costs!
There is already too much outside access to our retirement community
already with contractors constantly streaming in and out!
I also believe that the free entertainent at our town squares should only
be free to Villages Residents and their Guests!
We pay for this with our activity fees.
If people from outside the Villages want to access our town square
entertainment they should be charged a fee to do so!
Old 06-22-2008, 07:35 PM
Sage

From what I understand, part of the agreement the developer worked with the counties was to have TV be free access. In return, we don't have to pay for county services as a private community. So, if we made the town squares, etc. private, our amenity fees would skyrocket since we'd be paying additional costs for a private police force and fire department plus the repairs to main roads, etc. As with many things, there are tradeoffs.

Personally, I would hate to see TV completely restricted. I like meeting people from the towns around here and hearing their history and the history of the counties in general. Most that I have met have been kind, thoughtful and charming.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 06-22-2008, 07:47 PM
Harry

I for one don't want outside golf carts to be able to come and go anywhere and anytime they please in our community. We have enough problems trying to get around now, what would it be if all the area communities have access to our paths, amenities etc. This is not a good thing unless you live outside The Villages and want to live our lifestyle without paying for it. Why should we give away any of the things that we enjoy and pay for just to make it easier for outsiders. nuff said.
Old 06-22-2008, 08:02 PM

Does anyone know which development is being talked about. I have been away for a couple weeks, but the last I heard, they were trying to get cart access to the new shopping center at Rolling Acres Road. Can anyone expand on this issue.
Old 06-22-2008, 09:14 PM
Sage

It is Rolling Acres that they are talking about.

I do agree about outsiders using the golf cart paths. They want to use them, then should pay some sort of a toll. We pay through amenity fees. However, I don't want to see them banned from the squares and shops. There's a huge difference between public access via roads that are paid for by the entire county and state and golf cart paths which are privately owned and maintained.

Old 06-22-2008, 10:24 PM
Eternal Member

Okay, I admit that I'm a tad confused. Not just today but in several stories prior to this, there has been reference to creating some sort of cart access across Rolling Acres Rd. The implication today was that this would be access between Rolling Acres Plaza (the place where Target, Staples, et al are, and which is now accessible from TV by cart) and the new shopping areas across Rolling Acres (BB&B, Best Buy, Longhorn Steak, and the many other stores theoretically coming in there). Is that correct?

Yet the article today says that the driving force behind this thing seems to be a group from Water Oaks, which to my memory is on the east side of 27/441. Yes, they have tied in some other smaller places, but Water Oaks seems to be the biggie.

Okay, let's imagine a miraculous tunnel under Rolling Acres providing access. I'm sure if they so desired, Lady Lake could authorize some backroads access to the new shopping centers for the Plantation and those new apartments -- it'd cost them, but they could do it. However, Water Oaks and some of the others cited are still across 27/441. How is the guy who's leading the parade going to get there? Seems to me there are a bunch of other bridges and tunnels in the plans for this to work, or we're going to have golf carts zooming across major high speed roadways.

Am I missing something --- I mean on this subject, not just normally?
And it's Munc"L"e, not Munc"I"e
Old 06-22-2008, 10:37 PM

[I also believe that the free entertainent at our town squares should only
be free to Villages Residents and their Guests!
We pay for this with our activity fees.
If people from outside the Villages want to access our town square
entertainment they should be charged a fee to do so!

[/quote]
We don't pay for the entertainment on the Squares with our amenities fee but we do pay for upkeep of the cart paths. Outsiders would probably not use many of the paths we pay for but I don't really think it is a great idea to allow others in by golf cart. Now, I would like to cross Rolling Acres by golf cart to get to the stores BUT then others could cross to get here. HHMMM
Old 06-22-2008, 11:11 PM

You already have non-residents from Stonecrest accessing TV by golf cart by going thru Wal Marts and in back of the East Campus and then over the Cart Bridge.Are there liability issues if they are injured on Village residential property?I don't know but these may be the same people who tell us how dumb we are to pay housing prices and amenity fees here.
Old 06-23-2008, 12:07 AM
Gold member

Something not quite kosher with some posts on this topic. Could it be someone with a vested interest in only making commercial areas already in or, planned for TV to be golf cart accessible? That is a major selling point for commercial areas in TV..golf cart access.

With the ever increasing cost of gas, I think it makes sense to broaden the access to golf carts wherever.

With respect to point about our amenities paying for the entertainment at the TV Town Squares, it is just not true. None of our amenity fees pay for anything ouside of the residential gates. Thse activities are funded by the Commercial interests located in downtown and LSL areas.

Lastly, for every golf cart taking the dirt paths from Stonecrest to TV for entertainment there is a corresponding flow of traffic through the eastside of TV to Lowe's and Beall's on Hwy 441.

The folks from Water Oaks who want to avail themselves of shopping and entertainment in TV must now travel by car, but they already have unrestricted access to these things with exception of Katie Belle's.

Old 06-23-2008, 12:13 AM
Gold member

One last point. The photo in today's newspaper with the article, shows golf carts traveling along Tierra del Sol Golf Course. That is misleading. The only golf carts permitted on paths at that course are restricted to golfers who are playing the course and there are signs posted advising of this restriction. There is a transportation path that is adjacent to cart paths on sections of Hacienda Championship course that is useable for non-golf traffic, but traffic on the golf course cart paths are restricted.
Old 06-23-2008, 12:39 AM
Veteran member

I am rather saddened by the selfishness of some of the comments made on this subject This is twice in one week, the other bashing Wildwood
It is my understanding that the Village Squares are open to the public as an agreement with the counties to provide infrastructure maintenance and fire and police protection. I personally enjoy the outsiders that come in and add a bit of local flavor to our lifestyle. I have met and chatted with outsiders that some admit they just can't afford our lifestyle but do appreciate us sharing it with them. Now granted they can't use our pools, rec center facilities, golf courses, etc etc., but hey I like to be thought of as a friendly neighbor not a TV snob.
I am not deprived in any way that I am aware of because of non-villagers coming in, heck I'll move over and dance with the rest of them. Lighten up kids life is short, lets enjoy our local neighbors, I need them for all my services and they treat me well
Handie :joke:
Old 06-23-2008, 05:46 PM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by handieman
I am rather saddened by the selfishness of some of the comments made on this subject This is twice in one week, the other bashing Wildwood
It is my understanding that the Village Squares are open to the public as an agreement with the counties to provide infrastructure maintenance and fire and police protection. I personally enjoy the outsiders that come in and add a bit of local flavor to our lifestyle. I have met and chatted with outsiders that some admit they just can't afford our lifestyle but do appreciate us sharing it with them. Now granted they can't use our pools, rec center facilities, golf courses, etc etc., but hey I like to be thought of as a friendly neighbor not a TV snob.
I am not deprived in any way that I am aware of because of non-villagers coming in, heck I'll move over and dance with the rest of them. Lighten up kids life is short, lets enjoy our local neighbors, I need them for all my services and they treat me well
Handie :joke:
I agree with your point of view here Handy! And many of those folks visiting will spend some money at the Town Squares and help keep the stores going.
Old 06-23-2008, 05:47 PM
Sage

Well said, Handie.

Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.