Sumter County Property Taxes

Closed Thread
Old 09-11-2022, 09:28 AM
Default Sumter County Property Taxes

I am doing some research on how Sumter County appraises property. I am hoping you can help me with my research. If you go to sumterpa.com, do a property search, and look up your BLDG USE(code). If you have a DH64C-DH75C code and your model isn't on my list below, please post your code and model.

Sumter County uses your models in The Villages to determine your market price. They use a different Base rate depending on your model. This causes some of the Seniors to pay more taxes. Are they overcharging The Seniors because they do not do this outside of The Villages. Lake County does not use The Village models to determine Market Price.

If you want to see your Base Rate, you have to call Sumter County and ask them to email your property record card. They may say it is internal information but this public records.

The below rates are for the Code DH64C-DH75C. If you live north of 44 the Code may be DH64B-DH75B. I do not have north of 44 rates. If you get your property record card, I can start a list for other areas.

BASE RATE Code Model
137.00 DH64 Jasmine
148.00 DH70 Begonia, Indigo
156.00 DH71 Iris, Lily, Mossy Oak
164.00 DH72 Bridgeport, Lantana
162.00 DH73 Woodside, Laurel Oak, IVY
???? DH74 ???
149.00 DH75 Gardenia
82.76 R5 Outside of the Villages (Beaumont Village)
Old 09-11-2022, 09:46 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,382 Times in 2,061 Posts

Different areas use different appraisal processes so it is not too much of a surprise that Lake County's process is different. When I lived in Md appraisals were only updated every three years.

Why not have a base rate for a particular model of house? If you know all Begonia's have a similar floor plan and similar construction then it seems reasonable to have a similar starting point. Using the model of the house and the size of the property should get very close to a reasonable market value for the property.

With 85,000 (ish) homes in the county it would require evaluating about 250 homes every day, with no holidays or vacations, to cover all the homes each year. If you are going to have yearly appraisals there has to be a shortcut.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 09-11-2022, 10:03 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,615 Times in 5,196 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol Fiore View Post
I am doing some research on how Sumter County appraises property. I am hoping you can help me with my research. If you go to sumterpa.com, do a property search, and look up your BLDG USE(code). If you have a DH64C-DH75C code and your model isn't on my list below, please post your code and model.

Sumter County uses your models in The Villages to determine your market price. They use a different Base rate depending on your model. This causes some of the Seniors to pay more taxes. Are they overcharging The Seniors because they do not do this outside of The Villages. Lake County does not use The Village models to determine Market Price.

If you want to see your Base Rate, you have to call Sumter County and ask them to email your property record card. They may say it is internal information but this public records.

The below rates are for the Code DH64C-DH75C. If you live north of 44 the Code may be DH64B-DH75B. I do not have north of 44 rates. If you get your property record card, I can start a list for other areas.

BASE RATE Code Model
137.00 DH64 Jasmine
???? DH74 ???
149.00 DH75 Gardenia
Personally, I think you are using the wrong metric to compare appraisals. The house value is not usually based on the model type. It is based on the square footage, number of bedrooms, lot size and location, and nearby sales prices. And, with all of the available stretch options, the same model can have very different square footages.
Old 09-11-2022, 04:16 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
Personally, I think you are using the wrong metric to compare appraisals. The house value is not usually based on the model type. It is based on the square footage, number of bedrooms, lot size and location, and nearby sales prices. And, with all of the available stretch options, the same model can have very different square footages.
Had the same thought and have never heard of using a model of a home for tax purposes and this not cover location. As realtors state: Location, Location, Location. Clearly golf course lots and waterfront lots are worth a lot more.
Old 09-11-2022, 04:36 PM
Default Modeling of Homes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill14564 View Post
Different areas use different appraisal processes so it is not too much of a surprise that Lake County's process is different. When I lived in Md appraisals were only updated every three years.

Why not have a base rate for a particular model of house? If you know all Begonia's have a similar floor plan and similar construction then it seems reasonable to have a similar starting point. Using the model of the house and the size of the property should get very close to a reasonable market value for the property.

With 85,000 (ish) homes in the county it would require evaluating about 250 homes every day, with no holidays or vacations, to cover all the homes each year. If you are going to have yearly appraisals there has to be a shortcut.

It would be ok if all the models were in one area. DH70 model in Marsh Bend on the water sold for 610,000, DH70 model in Chitty Chatty sold for 418,000. (Interior lot) Should they be blended together? Just because they are the same model should they have the same effective Base rate. The Chitty Chatty will now pay more taxes because of the house in Marsh Bend on water.
Old 09-11-2022, 04:44 PM
Sage

Quote:
It would be ok if all the models were in one area. DH70 model in Marsh Bend on the water sold for 610,000, DH70 model in Chitty Chatty sold for 418,000. (Interior lot) Should they be blended together? Just because they are the same model should they have the same effective Base rate. The Chitty Chatty will now pay more taxes because of the house in Marsh Bend on water.
I assume base rate means starting point. If that is the case then yes, the same model should have the same starting point.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 09-11-2022, 04:51 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,743 Times in 1,225 Posts

Quote:
I have no experience doing this in Florida but looks like you can appeal.

There are probably attorneys who specialize in this for a fee or percentage of the reduction.

Florida Dept. of Revenue -

Property Tax - Taxpayers - Property Value Disagree
Old 09-12-2022, 04:46 AM
Platinum member
Default Bravo

Quote:
Originally Posted by carol fiore View Post
i am doing some research on how sumter county appraises property. I am hoping you can help me with my research. If you go to sumterpa.com, do a property search, and look up your bldg use(code). If you have a dh64c-dh75c code and your model isn't on my list below, please post your code and model.

Sumter county uses your models in the villages to determine your market price. They use a different base rate depending on your model. This causes some of the seniors to pay more taxes. Are they overcharging the seniors because they do not do this outside of the villages. Lake county does not use the village models to determine market price.

If you want to see your base rate, you have to call sumter county and ask them to email your property record card. They may say it is internal information but this public records.

The below rates are for the code dh64c-dh75c. If you live north of 44 the code may be dh64b-dh75b. I do not have north of 44 rates. If you get your property record card, i can start a list for other areas.

Base rate code model
137.00 dh64 jasmine
148.00 dh70 begonia, indigo
156.00 dh71 iris, lily, mossy oak
164.00 dh72 bridgeport, lantana
162.00 dh73 woodside, laurel oak, ivy
???? Dh74 ???
149.00 dh75 gardenia
82.76 r5 outside of the villages (beaumont village)
speaking truth to power is commendable.
Old 09-12-2022, 06:14 AM

Quote:

BASE RATE Code Model
137.00 DH64 Jasmine
???? DH74 ???
149.00 DH75 Gardenia
SumterPA???
Old 09-12-2022, 07:35 AM
Default Base Rate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill14564 View Post
I assume base rate means starting point. If that is the case then yes, the same model should have the same starting point.
I been living in The Villages for almost 10 years. I really like living here. There is so much to do and FUN? In my opinion, I believe Sumter PA is overcharging property taxes for The Seniors only. I am just researching Sumter County PA. I would like to change the laws to protect the Seniors.

The Base Rate for Sumter County is the rate they use to calculate your market value.

Example: Custom Home

Both on same block (custom homes) and both paid the same price for house
Land Value = 50,000

Jasmine model effective sq. ft. is 2100 2100*137= 287700
Lantana model effective sq. ft. is 2100 2100*164= 344,400

Jasmine 287,000(building)+50,000(building) = 337,000 Market Value
Lantana 344,000(building)+50,000(building) = 394,000 Market Value

The Lantana will be paying more taxes than the Jasmine even though they paid the same price with same sq. ft.

Is that fair for all Jasmine and Lantana lumped together with custom homes? This drives up the taxes for everyone if you buy a standard home.

I found this information by asking for the Property Record Card of my house and all my neighbors. I also asked for Property Record Card for outside of The Villages where everyone in the neighbored got the same effective sq. ft.

Sumter County PA been doing this for years. I called Lake County, Volusia County and no one uses this method. There is no way a Senior can calculate their taxes when buying a Village Home. Florida Statue 193.011(3) location. All counties must follow these laws. Sumter County does follow the law for outside of The Villages but not for The Village (A Senior Community). Should the Seniors pay more taxes?? Will taxes be driven by custom homes?
Old 09-12-2022, 07:45 AM
Default Sumter County Property Appraiser(SumterPA)

Quote:
Originally Posted by paquino View Post
SumterPA???
SumterPA = Sumter County Property Appraiser
Old 09-12-2022, 07:49 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,357 Times in 2,392 Posts

Quote:
SumterPA = Sumter County Property Appraiser
Have you met with Joey Hooten?
Old 09-12-2022, 08:24 AM
Sage

Quote:
I been living in The Villages for almost 10 years. I really like living here. There is so much to do and FUN? In my opinion, I believe Sumter PA is overcharging property taxes for The Seniors only. I am just researching Sumter County PA. I would like to change the laws to protect the Seniors.

The Base Rate for Sumter County is the rate they use to calculate your market value.

Example: Custom Home

Both on same block (custom homes) and both paid the same price for house
Land Value = 50,000

Jasmine model effective sq. ft. is 2100 2100*137= 287700
Lantana model effective sq. ft. is 2100 2100*164= 344,400

Jasmine 287,000(building)+50,000(building) = 337,000 Market Value
Lantana 344,000(building)+50,000(building) = 394,000 Market Value

The Lantana will be paying more taxes than the Jasmine even though they paid the same price with same sq. ft.

Is that fair for all Jasmine and Lantana lumped together with custom homes? This drives up the taxes for everyone if you buy a standard home.

I found this information by asking for the Property Record Card of my house and all my neighbors. I also asked for Property Record Card for outside of The Villages where everyone in the neighbored got the same effective sq. ft.

Sumter County PA been doing this for years. I called Lake County, Volusia County and no one uses this method. There is no way a Senior can calculate their taxes when buying a Village Home. Florida Statue 193.011(3) location. All counties must follow these laws. Sumter County does follow the law for outside of The Villages but not for The Village (A Senior Community). Should the Seniors pay more taxes?? Will taxes be driven by custom homes?
But...

- The Jasmine and the Lantana that I found on that street are not the same size, the Lantana is about 33% larger

- The Jasmine and the Lantana did not have the same purchase price, the Jasmine was purchased for about 25% less

- The market values for both are less than the purchase price

- If you take the (market value - land value)/sqft the result is less than your Base Rate in both cases

There appears to be more to the calculation of market value than just a Base Rate for the model and the square footage. It would really make a lot of sense to actually meet with the Property Appraiser's office and learn how the values are determined.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 09-12-2022, 09:22 AM
Default VAB Hearing

In 2022, I filed the VAP petition on my property. I am paying the highest taxes on my block. A house with a pool, outside grill, outside fireplace and paid over $75,000 more than me has a Market Value less than mine. (Mossy Oak) I have the highest sq. ft cost because of the Model.(Bridgeport) I now overpaid $1300 in property taxes than my neighbors. Before I did this, I asked the Sumter property appraiser to sit down with me and explain the DH codes. They refuse to do this. They will admit they model the homes but won't explain why or the difference in the sq. ft. The only way I can get this information is from other owners and researching. In my research I found I wasn't the only person overpaying in taxes. I have many examples that Modeling does not work. I want to take my information to the Senators and Congressman in our state to define the Florida Statue 193.011 (3) location so Sumter County cannot take advantage of the Seniors. Seniors are on a fixed budget and need to know the tax rate before buying a home in The Villages. If they want to use Modeling, that should make this public and allow the Seniors to know the cost before they buy a home.

It would cost me more to hire an attorney than the $1300. I will do the hearing by myself. I am requesting a free attorney because our tax dollars allow Sumter PA to have an attorney. It is hard to go against an attorney because I am not an attorney. They will use this against me for speaking but I believe the VAB is a fair and will allow me to present my research.

Thanks for all your remarks and help!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altavia View Post
I have no experience doing this in Florida but looks like you can appeal.

There are probably attorneys who specialize in this for a fee or percentage of the reduction.

Florida Dept. of Revenue -

Property Tax - Taxpayers - Property Value Disagree
Old 09-12-2022, 03:20 PM

After working for a number of years at both a Property Appraiser’s Office and for the State Department of Tax Equalization (DTE), what a fun entertaining read.
Closed Thread

Tags
code, county, property, sumter, model

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.