Tree Frog in Bathroom, anyone?

Closed Thread
Old 10-14-2021, 07:00 AM
Default Tree Frog in Bathroom, anyone?

We woke up this morning to find a tree frog walking on my bathroom mirror. It was as big as my fist and had little suckers on its feet... hence, walking all over my bathroom mirror and walls. It also left water on my floor where it jumped out of the toilet!!! Anyone else experience frogs coming in through their toilet?
Old 10-14-2021, 07:15 AM
Default Check for broken/missing sewer pipe cover

Outside, fairly close to the house, approximately level with the ground or mulch you may find a broken or missing cover to the white PVC 4 inch sewer pipe. I think they can also get in from the plumbing vent on the roof.
Old 10-14-2021, 07:42 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,445 Times in 580 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiHoSteveO View Post
Outside, fairly close to the house, approximately level with the ground or mulch you may find a broken or missing cover to the white PVC 4 inch sewer pipe. I think they can also get in from the plumbing vent on the roof.
Exactly they come in through water vent tube on roof. I experienced this numerous times in south florida. This is the easiest fix. Rooftop vent pipe protection screens, guards, grilles help keep out animals and debris
Old 10-14-2021, 07:49 AM
Veteran member

Same happened to us, roof vent!
Old 10-14-2021, 10:12 AM

I have heard of snakes coming up through the pipes though, not something I'd like to have happen at 3:00am in the morning!
Old 10-14-2021, 11:00 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,193 Times in 761 Posts

Keep your toilet lid down, and they won't get out of the toilet...
Old 10-14-2021, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robb55x View Post
We woke up this morning to find a tree frog walking on my bathroom mirror. It was as big as my fist and had little suckers on its feet... hence, walking all over my bathroom mirror and walls. It also left water on my floor where it jumped out of the toilet!!! Anyone else experience frogs coming in through their toilet?
Yep. That can be a nearly traumatic discovery when you lift the lid on your toilet to find a huge frog to greet you. Especially when you are groggy in the middle of the night waking up for a bathroom break!

place screen over the bathroom vents on the roof and secure with Ty-Rap® cable ties. Cheap, easy, and maybe even better than the items sold in stores that may still let small pests through openings.
Old 10-14-2021, 12:44 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Talking Toilet lids SHOULD be down!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFlorida View Post
Keep your toilet lid down, and they won't get out of the toilet...

Oh, yeah???

There's plenty of room for a frog to get out of the toilet between the seat and the toilet itself, but keep the lid down anyway. Looking into that abyss is gross!
Old 10-14-2021, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road-Runner View Post
I have heard of snakes coming up through the pipes though, not something I'd like to have happen at 3:00am in the morning!
Our friends checked out our place we haven't been in since June. My husband had done what he was told when we knew it would be a while before returning. There was a frog in each of the toilets but they hadn't gotten out due to his diligence.
Snakes are another whole ballgame for me! How do you prevent them from coming in at all and how do they come through the pipes?
Old 10-14-2021, 02:34 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,714 Times in 5,243 Posts

I would just point out that, just because you saw the frog in the toilet, does not mean that it came into the house through the sewer pipe or vent. Frogs, insects, and other animals will naturally seek out sources of water in the house. So, the frog may have entered the house somewhere else and found a water source in the toilet. A frog could swim through the toilet P-trap to enter, but it is not likely.
Old 10-15-2021, 04:48 AM

Quote:
Might be the Cuban Green frog. Had this happen once. I have a couple that ‘sleep” under the eave in front of my home. They crap all over my siding. The little buggers are hard to catch but are basically harmless. Ewwwwww…….
Old 10-15-2021, 04:58 AM

Quote:
. Back in my Acid days the answer is YES!!!
Old 10-15-2021, 05:01 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,522 Times in 628 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
I would just point out that, just because you saw the frog in the toilet, does not mean that it came into the house through the sewer pipe or vent. Frogs, insects, and other animals will naturally seek out sources of water in the house. So, the frog may have entered the house somewhere else and found a water source in the toilet. A frog could swim through the toilet P-trap to enter, but it is not likely.
I am sure you know this but the toilet is it’s own p-trap . I guess it’s feasible they could enter down the plumbing vent stack and navigate the system. Probably hard to get out the bathroom sink drain for a big one but the kitchen sink drain would be pretty easy just swim through the p-trap under the sink. It’s a stinky proposition any way you look at it
Old 10-15-2021, 05:44 AM
Platinum member
Unhappy

Have snowbird friends who were up north. They always cover commode with Saran wrap. Went to check on their house one day and a small tree frog was swimming around in it.
Old 10-15-2021, 07:24 AM

Can it sing?

Reminesent of that old bugs bunny cartoon.
" Hello my baby, hello my darling.........

Tree frogs are actually Toads.
Frogs live in and around water. Toads are land critters.
No way they went thru the plumbing.
Closed Thread

Tags
bathroom, walking, frog, mirror, tree

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.