Troublesome neighbor

Closed Thread
Old 10-09-2021, 07:56 PM
Default Troublesome neighbor

Our neighbors need advice. We live in Monarch Grove and have a wonderful group of people living on our block of Gonzalez Lane. One of our neighbors is an issue. They watch people walking their dogs and remotely turn on their sprinkler system whenever people walk by. We have an elderly lady with dementia who regularly gets doused as she walks her small dog. Everyone is very respectful and picks up any dog poop. Our scared neighbors automatically move to the other side of the street. We feel stalked and sad.

Last edited by MaryShields; 10-09-2021 at 10:31 PM.
Old 10-09-2021, 08:08 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,318 Times in 2,055 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryShields View Post
Our neighbors need advice. We live in Monarch Grove and have a wonderful group of people living on our block of Gonzalez Lane. One of our neighbors is an issue. They watch people walking their dogs and remotely turn on their sprinkler system whenever people walk by. We have an elderly lady with dementia who regulates gets doused as she walks her small dog. Everyone is very respectful and picks up any dog poop. They automatically move to the other side of the street. We feel stalked and sad.
If the elderly lady with dementia has kids or other relatives who visit and you neighbors have a way to contact I would do that if I were in your shoes. They can make the decision about contacting the police. This does sound like they could be placing the woman with dementia in harm's way if these bad neighbors deliberately douse this poor woman with irrigation water.
Old 10-09-2021, 09:23 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,013 Times in 1,740 Posts

Quote:
Our neighbors need advice. We live in Monarch Grove and have a wonderful group of people living on our block of Gonzalez Lane. One of our neighbors is an issue. They watch people walking their dogs and remotely turn on their sprinkler system whenever people walk by. We have an elderly lady with dementia who regulates gets doused as she walks her small dog. Everyone is very respectful and picks up any dog poop. They automatically move to the other side of the street. We feel stalked and sad.
Are the water sprinklers watering something other than their own lawn/property? Does the lady walking her dog step on their lawn?

They may have motion sprinkler which automatically comes on when detecting motion. I have it too, so animals will stay off the lawn, I think it’s a great idea. I’ve watered myself a couple of times when I forgot… it’s no biggy.

Now if the sprinklers water the street than that should be reported.
Old 10-09-2021, 09:59 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taltarzac725 View Post
If the elderly lady with dementia has kids or other relatives who visit and you neighbors have a way to contact I would do that if I were in your shoes. They can make the decision about contacting the police. This does sound like they could be placing the woman with dementia in harm's way if these bad neighbors deliberately douse this poor woman with irrigation water.
It's sad for sure Tal. The lady with dementia shouldn't be walking a dog without a guardian with her.

I don't blame the property owner for their actions. I hope they never miss any person who disrespects their property. Carry On!
Old 10-09-2021, 10:19 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,318 Times in 2,055 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nucky View Post
It's sad for sure Tal. The lady with dementia shouldn't be walking a dog without a guardian with her.

I don't blame the property owner for their actions. I hope they never miss any person who disrespects their property. Carry On!
Depends on what they are doing. If they wait for the woman to walk the dog along their street in front of their house and then turn on the water from their system's controls probably in their garage and know that this woman has dementia then that is a different matter.

If it is automated to come on when there is any motion that might be a different matter. Then they are not targeting someone they should know has dementia.
Old 10-10-2021, 01:43 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Our neighbors need advice. We live in Monarch Grove and have a wonderful group of people living on our block of Gonzalez Lane. One of our neighbors is an issue. They watch people walking their dogs and remotely turn on their sprinkler system whenever people walk by. We have an elderly lady with dementia who regularly gets doused as she walks her small dog. Everyone is very respectful and picks up any dog poop. Our scared neighbors automatically move to the other side of the street. We feel stalked and sad.
It’s sad and unfortunate but there’s always a bad apple in the bag. I have 3 in my lovely neighborhood. Perhaps it’s because I’m picturing my neighborhood, which has no sidewalks so I would just walk on the other side of the street? I don’t understand how the water is hitting her unless it’s not hitting the actual yard?? Good luck. It does sound like it’s on some sort of auto sensor. Or maybe you really do have the worst neighbors.
Old 10-10-2021, 02:11 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,303 Times in 561 Posts

great idea...shes tired of stepping in dog crap in her yard! smart cookie that one...
Old 10-10-2021, 02:28 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Hi, I see you’re a junior member. I should let you know, some of the regulars on this site are sort of rude and will always side with the person the OP is complaining about. I watch it all the time and it’s always like the same 5 people. Just so you know. Have a great day and I would advise walking on the opposite side of the street.
Old 10-10-2021, 04:57 AM

Quote:
I have a few questions.

How do you know they are activating the sprinklers? It could be a sensor system.

Are the people getting wet on the street? If they are on the lawn, then that’s their problem. I suspect they are on the lawn based on your “everyone is respectful and picks up the poop” comment.

Why do you feel stalked? That seems like an extreme reaction based on what you wrote above.
Old 10-10-2021, 05:12 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,522 Times in 628 Posts

Quote:
Well I would imagine that here in the bubble just about every street has a resident that fits the description “elderly with dementia “. The good news is the irrigation water won’t hurt her or her dog maybe just a little stinky. I run around in my yard with them on adjusting the sprinkler heads occasionally. My back yard (fenced) is my dog’s bathroom. I don’t care if neighbors let their dogs potty in my front yard as long as they are responsible. One thing to note when everyone is concerned with dog poop the urine from el perro kills grass but if it gets watered immediately it won’t damage it
Old 10-10-2021, 05:16 AM

You did not state if the water from the sprinklers are going into the road spraying the walkers or just spraying onto the owners property. There are little signs that can be put out there that say “No dogs on lawn”.
Better et, just pretend there is a car parked in front of his house and walk around it.
Remember it is his property, not everyone loves dogs…..
Old 10-10-2021, 05:20 AM

[QUOTE=MaryShields;2015479]Our neighbors need advice. We live in Monarch Grove and have a wonderful group of people living on our block of Gonzalez Lane. One of our neighbors is an issue. They watch people walking their dogs and remotely turn on their sprinkler system whenever people walk by. We have an elderly lady with dementia who regularly gets doused as she walks her small dog. Everyone is very respectful and picks up any dog poop. Our scared neighbors automatically move to the other side of the street. We

Last edited by jbartle1; 10-10-2021 at 07:20 AM. Reason: Already posted by others
Old 10-10-2021, 05:29 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,707 Times in 557 Posts

If the sprinklers are properly calibrated to water only the lawn and not into the street (while allowing for drift from any wind, to stay off of the street) - I'm not seeing the problem.
Old 10-10-2021, 05:54 AM

Where are people supposed to walk their dogs? There aren’t sidewalks.
Old 10-10-2021, 05:57 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
since the answers are "all over the road" (as usual) Here's the thing -

If it can be proved that every time (key phrase) someone sets foot in front of that house the sprinklers go on AND that it's vengeful, you have a case..

If it isn't every time then you have a$$h&&&s which gets handled differently - typically confrontation.

In order to prove this you'll need videos with time and date stamps over several days. Yes it's a lot of work, and people like this count on the fact that no one (especially here) will bother - however Ring has made this so very easy. You just need a Ring cam (any wifi motion activated cam will do) and it needs to be set up to trigger on that property and it's movement. one key factor to note is Ring is highly admissible where some cheap off brand may not be. Call it name notoriety

All this about where are the sprinklers pointing is BS nitpick junk, water in the road etc has ZERO bearing on this. You need to establish if this is purposeful.

I much prefer confrontation first, it might settle the reasoning portion. Also you know what you are dealing with and then it's easier to deal with.

Last edited by midiwiz; 10-10-2021 at 05:58 AM. Reason: addition of info
Closed Thread

Tags
people, dog, neighbors, walks, small

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.