Tax tip for hurricane harvey, irma & maria victims

Tax tip for hurricane harvey, irma & maria victims


» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors

» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements
Closed Thread
Thread Tools Display Modes
Tax tip for hurricane harvey, irma & maria victims
Old 12-22-2017, 10:04 AM
Bloom&Company Bloom&Company is offline
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Haciendas of Mission Hills
Posts: 59
Default Tax tip for hurricane harvey, irma & maria victims

A new tax law now allows casualty losses from hurricanes to be deducted “above the line” rather than as an itemized deduction. This can be a significant tax savings for taxpayers who normally do not itemize or have higher income levels.

Previously, a taxpayer would be required to itemize their deductions on Schedule A to claim a casualty loss. In addition, the amount of the loss deducted would be only the amount in excess of 1) $100 plus 2) 10% of their Adjusted Gross Income. The new law changes those limitations to be only $500.

In order to qualify as a loss, the casualty must be from the hurricane and the loss must be uninsured (your insurance company must have declined the claim).
The law also allows a taxpayer to choose which year they prefer to take the deduction, 2016 or 2017.

Determining which year to claim the deduction is predominately driven by the tax bracket the taxpayer is in. Obviously, if the tax bracket is higher in 2016 than it will be in 2017 then the refund of tax from the claimed loss would be more in 2016.

For questions, or if you would like to discuss strategic tax planning or having your tax return prepared, please give me a call. I have a boutique tax practice in The Villages where I come to your home and meet with you, discuss your tax needs, and give you a definite price to complete your work. I then bring back your completed return to you. I am reasonably priced, reliable, responsible, trustworthy, and licensed in the State of Florida. I had a tax practice in Seattle for over 35 years and specialized in individual and closely held businesses. I now enjoy specializing in working with Villagers. I live in The Villages as well. My number is 425 941 5224 and I respond between 8 am and 8 pm seven days a week. I am available throughout the year for consultation and questions. You can find references for me on Talk of The Villages. Bob Bloom CPA 425 941 5224

Closed Thread

tax, loss, deduction, year, claim

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:12 PM.