I know vBulletin has this option

Closed Thread
Old 06-05-2023, 08:26 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,496 Times in 3,100 Posts
Default I know vBulletin has this option

It would be REALLY great if your admin added on the script that allows for 2-way blocking of users.

Currently when I block someone, in every thread, I see "THIS PERSON HAS POSTED AND YOU CAN'T SEE IT" over and over and over again.

And then someone else posts a response to that blocked person, which of course contains the quote, which shows that they were actually responding to YOUR own post.

So now you have to deal with seeing the post they posted, responding to you, even after you blocked that person so you wouldn't have to see them at all.

I would love for this to be a 2-way block. If I block someone, then THEY should not be able to see any of MY posts. And vice versa of course. I shouldn't see a BIG HONKING NOTICE in the thread telling me that they've posted again, for the 20th time in this thread, and that I can't see what it says because I blocked them.

I know I blocked them. I blocked them because I don't want to see their posts. I don't need to be told that they've posted. I don't want to know about it. I don't care about that person. If that person fell off a cliff tomorrow and there was an entire thread dedicated to a memorial tribute on their behalf, I wouldn't read the entire thread - and therefore would have to see notice after notice after notice informing me that all these people are talking about this person I don't care about. I can skip the entire thread, and never have to deal with that person - OR "their beloved memory."

But for now, I can block them, and they can still respond to me. That needs to stop. vBulletin has that capacity, it's an add-on. The forum is way too divisive to allow people who are feeling harassed, to continue to be harassed even when they have done their part in blocking that person.

Moderation only works if the moderator a) happens to notice that something is going on, b) is informed that someone is complaining about it c) noticed this within a few minutes of the occurrence, and d) agrees that something needs to be done about it.

This rarely happens. I can report a post and a week later it's still up there, with 4 pages of responses. Or I can report a post and it's gone seconds later. There's no consistency.

The only way there can be any consistency is if our choice to block someone, is automatically reciprocal. If I block someone, then I can't see them, AND they can't see me.
Closed Thread

Tags
person, block, thread, blocked, notice

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.