Isn't it time for a TOTV Site Rehab?

Closed Thread
Old 05-09-2018, 09:11 AM
Exclamation Isn't it time for a TOTV Site Rehab?

I love the purpose and scope of the TOTV site, but I find myself avoiding it since it is very, very slow and clunky.
All those banners, and whatever else it has going on in the program makes it difficult to navigate--and I am not a novice user. Isn't it time to streamline and make this site more user-friendly?
That would be so appreciated!
Old 05-09-2018, 09:17 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to l2ridehd

I see you have only 6 posts. Those of us with 1000's of posts recall when it worked as you describe. However it seems every time they upgrade, modify, add, change, it just gets worse, more clunky, slower, more pop ups. So be careful what you wish for.
Old 05-09-2018, 09:24 AM
fw102807

I used to work for a software development company and a statement like this would make everyone scream. It's like going to a garage and saying my car doesn't work right can you fix it? Whenever you ask for changes like this you have to be very specific. Keeping in mind that the ads are not going away what would you like to see happen? What doesn't work right? How should things be arranged? Software developers are not mind readers and generally they do not even use the site so have no idea how it works for users.
Old 05-09-2018, 10:43 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,478 Times in 711 Posts

A decent mobile app would be nice. I wonder if TOTV will ever get to it. Meanwhile, Tapatalk suffices.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk
Old 05-09-2018, 10:49 AM
Sage
Thanked 8,931 Times in 2,701 Posts

OP, what you are describing is happening to all free websites. The sponsors of TOTV are not making the website available out of the goodness in their hearts, they are doing it to make $$. Without advertising revenue there would be no TOTV. Targeted marketing by sophisticated digital media firms are the new standard for advertising. Try clearing your browsing history and check the pop ups when you visit TOTV. You will get non-specific adds from TOTV sponsors. Then do a few google searches on various products, like a wireless bluetooth speaker as an example. Those searches are stored in cookies and then referenced by TOTV to pup up targeted advertisements. When you log into TOTV after doing the search, you will now find pop ups referencing wireless bluetooth speakers. Its all about capturing data and using it for targeted marketing. The only way this could be avoided would be for the TOTV sponsor to charge a fee to use the web site so that they do not need to sell advertisements through digital media.
Old 05-09-2018, 10:51 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by fw102807 View Post
I used to work for a software development company and a statement like this would make everyone scream...Software developers...generally they do not even use the site so have no idea how it works for users.
Not even for testing? This statement should make end-users scream!

Last edited by Polar Bear; 05-09-2018 at 11:03 AM.
Old 05-09-2018, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fw102807 View Post
Software developers are not mind readers and generally they do not even use the site so have no idea how it works for users.
That's why Forbes magazine says 92% of all software developers have no idea if Culver's has good custard and up to 97% of them do not know how to prepare Tilapia, or what Tilapia eat. Though 55% admitted they wished they didn't know what Tilapia ate anyway.
Old 05-09-2018, 11:47 AM
fw102807

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polar Bear View Post
Not even for testing? This statement should make end-users scream!
Nope not even for testing. They had pages of requirements that they worked from detailing what the pages were supposed to do. Such as we want this many segments with this many buttons that link to this info and we want it to look like this. So all they knew was that these items worked not how it all flowed together for people to use.

Users would need to put in requests to a program manager, such as I would like to be able to search by name or I would like to search by date etc, and then the engineers would program this to work.
Old 05-09-2018, 12:06 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

I am having a hard time with Sam's Club being reorganized and everything being cattywampus. I feel really good about how this site operates. My vote is to leave it alone.
Old 05-09-2018, 01:53 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,301 Times in 2,369 Posts

I do not find TOTV clunky. All screens load rapidly for me. Maybe it is your service provider down load speed...................
Old 05-09-2018, 01:55 PM
Veteran member

If it ain't broke....
Old 05-09-2018, 01:58 PM
fw102807

I think they have made a lot of nice enhancements in the last year. The ads are what keeps the site funded.
Old 05-09-2018, 03:05 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
I do not find TOTV clunky. All screens load rapidly for me. Maybe it is your service provider down load speed...................
My computer also runs fast on TOTV and I only have 10 mpbs with Century Link. I don't see any ads or popups and haven't for about 3 or 4 years. Maybe that is what's slowing you down. I use Google Chrome browser and have Adblock Plus and Popup Blocker Pro. If you're using Firefox, I switched to Chrome about 3 years ago, less problems and faster. Internet Explorer I haven't used since about 2003.

Adblock Plus - Chrome Web Store

Popup Blocker Pro - Chrome Web Store
Old 05-09-2018, 05:05 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_W View Post
My computer also runs fast on TOTV and I only have 10 mpbs with Century Link. I don't see any ads or popups and haven't for about 3 or 4 years. Maybe that is what's slowing you down. I use Google Chrome browser and have Adblock Plus and Popup Blocker Pro. If you're using Firefox, I switched to Chrome about 3 years ago, less problems and faster. Internet Explorer I haven't used since about 2003.

Adblock Plus - Chrome Web Store

Yep...on the ad-blockers.

It loads very quickly for me (Firefox)...ad-free.

An ad-blocker is most likely...the solution for the OP.

The downside of course, is that the TOTV owners needs ads/ad clicks and its resultant revenue...to keep it free for the rest of us.
Old 05-09-2018, 05:21 PM
Platinum member
Smile Fair Adblocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_W View Post

Adblock Plus - Chrome Web Stores

I have Fair Adblocker on my computer and I see no advertisements on TOTV.

Tags
site, totv, time, navigate--and, makes

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.