New TOTV site coming soon!

Closed Thread
Old 01-06-2020, 06:44 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,687 Times in 3,600 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
Too garish. Hurts my eyes. How old is your web designer???

They don't have web designers.................ToTV just uses a site designed by another company.
Old 01-06-2020, 07:53 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post
They don't have web designers.................ToTV just uses a site designed by another company.
That other company must have a 20-something, multi-tasker web designer...
Old 01-06-2020, 01:24 PM

Old version is much quicker to navigate through therefore better for me. If forced to the new version exclusively may have to rethink where to get all of the negative opinions on the various subjects posted. Maybe back to face-to-face over breakfast????
Old 01-06-2020, 01:32 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by xkeowner View Post
Old version is much quicker to navigate through therefore better for me. If forced to the new version exclusively may have to rethink where to get all of the negative opinions on the various subjects posted. Maybe back to face-to-face over breakfast????

Old 01-07-2020, 09:35 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchad View Post
It was a link at the very top by my name.

Nope.
Old 01-07-2020, 10:06 AM
Sage

I'm with the others on "too much white" on the new site. The glare hurts my eyes. Too much space between posts, just want to read the new posts and get on with the day. I hope you didn't pay the new guy too much.
Old 01-07-2020, 10:42 AM
Veteran member

Please keep the old site running permanently. The new one is just too tedious to navigate because of all the extraneous text and, in general, seems poorly thought out in terms of usability. For example, it's almost impossible to click the "go to next unread button".
Old 01-07-2020, 10:57 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,370 Times in 3,050 Posts

OKAY! I've had time to check out the new incarnation. I made my browser as narrow as possible, in an effort to consider how it might look as an app on a phone. If the app displays any other way than what I'm seeing with my google chrome browser, my suggestions might not apply.

Having the "most recent" up on top and highlighted is perfect, EXCEPT that menu bar needs to be just tiny bit lower, because a mouse click or finger tap could end up hitting the button above it by mistake, they're too close together.

1. When I narrow the browser, I see the title of the new post, and the name of the most recent poster and date - but no category. I feel the date should be moved to the title of the new post, and the category (or at least the first column inch of it) remain visible, and the column for date/member be eliminated. This is when the browser is narrowed - the full version would still display as always.

2. Skins. Forum developers and frequent forum users would recognize the term. We need a selection, user-side, that we can choose from. Some of us are fine with dark text on white background. Some might prefer light on dark, and I guess some would like funky color schemes and layouts. It would be nice to have a few different skins for users to choose from.

3. Ditch the "home" button since the "Talk of The Villages" banner at the top is already a clickable command button. And that command button would always bring the user back to the home page. I prefer this on all websites, not just the ToTV forum.

4. After each "section" of the forum, I would like to see a "top of page" command button. That way anyone who is finished looking at category "q" can easily get back to the top without having to scroll up.

5. For the category window, I would like to see just ONE line with the category title - and if you mouse over it, or click that category, or touch your screen on that line, you see a description of that category. This way you will see a complete list, much easier on a cell phone, instead of having to scroll endlessly through paragraphs of every single category and subcategory to find the category of interest to you.

In all, I feel the tweaks you made since I first saw it, have improved the look and feel significantly. I like it.
Old 01-07-2020, 10:58 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,743 Times in 1,383 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan9871 View Post
Please keep the old site running permanently. The new one is just too tedious to navigate because of all the extraneous text and, in general, seems poorly thought out in terms of usability. For example, it's almost impossible to click the "go to next unread button".
That red stripe at the top of the page (old site) lets you know the new one is in your future, like it or not.

Hopefully those responsible will heed the criticisms being offered.
Old 01-07-2020, 11:08 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,478 Times in 711 Posts

Not as good as Tapatalk but better than before. Need to think mobile app. Its 2020.
Old 01-07-2020, 04:24 PM
Administrator

Hello All Users -

We appreciate all the feedback on the new format and have noticed multiple threads started. We created one official thread for feedback on the changes to better organize the input.

What is helpful is specific feedback for example: The weather at the top of the website is not functioning correctly and is the wrong temperature. These types of specific feedback allows us to make an actual change that can make the website better much like what was posted here.

Here is a link to the new discussion:
New Forum Suggestions Thread

We will close all the other discussions so we can keep these consolidated and organized.

Thanks in advance for all the feedback and support!

TOTV Team
Closed Thread

Tags
expect, feel, site, totv, users

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.