Punctuation on this forum is messed up

Closed Thread
Old 05-15-2020, 07:35 AM

If it’s messed up for you, and you are on an iPad, update to the newest iOS (Settings, General, Software Update). Fixed it for me.
Old 05-15-2020, 08:09 AM

It's you.
Old 05-15-2020, 08:40 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
Proper grammar and punctuation are the last thing on many posters minds, including mine.
Okay, but I thought the goal of posting messages was to be understood. Grammar and punctuation were invented for a reason. If the writer gives them low priority (especially punctuation), I oftentimes find myself reading a post two or three times to try to figure out what the poster is talking about. I don’t think that’s the intent of written communication.

But you’re right. If all we have to worry about is temporary font glitches on a forum and poor grammar or missing periods, our lives must be pretty darn good.

Last edited by LiverpoolWalrus; 05-15-2020 at 09:14 AM.
Old 05-15-2020, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeebean View Post
Is it me or is the punctuation on this forum wonky? I've noticed it since yesterday. From what I have seen so far, the comma is placed in the incorrect position when typed.

For example.....I typed a comma after the word far above. It looks like the letter r and the apostrophe are all one character rather than the apostrophe appearing after the letter r.

Here is another example.....

I like the colors red, blue, green, purple and yellow. See where the commas are?

The commas are incorrectly placed after the words red blue and green.

This is distracting me when composing and reading the comments.
Mine is back to perfect today!!
Old 05-15-2020, 09:18 AM
Default Pucku waht

Quote:
Is it me or is the punctuation on this forum wonky? I've noticed it since yesterday. From what I have seen so far, the comma is placed in the incorrect position when typed.

For example.....I typed a comma after the word far above. It looks like the letter r and the apostrophe are all one character rather than the apostrophe appearing after the letter r.

I like the colors red, blue, green, purple and yellow. See where the commas are?

Im mor inderestid in da spellin den da punktuwasion
Old 05-15-2020, 10:43 AM
Veteran member

The comma problem was there yesterday but apparently not today.
Old 05-15-2020, 10:55 AM

Mine is working great today. Yesterday, not so much (iPad). Thank you TOTV.
Old 05-15-2020, 11:02 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Ohiobuckeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Bills View Post
At least I now have an excuse for my punctuation mistakes, all I need is for the words to be jumbled, and I would be in spelin hevun!
Why is putting a comma in wrong spot or whatever a big deal most of us read comments & understand them even if a word is misspelled totally wrong, most of the time I understand it but I’m not going to criticize someone for punctuation mistakes. We’re hear to read comment not spelling & other mistakes! I agree with you Two Bills.!?/$”:&$. Oh no why did my computer make all of these punctuation mistakes. Nobody cares!
Old 05-15-2020, 12:42 PM
Default Hear?

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioBuckeye View Post
Why is putting a comma in wrong spot or whatever a big deal most of us read comments & understand them even if a word is misspelled totally wrong, most of the time I understand it but I’m not going to criticize someone for punctuation mistakes. We’re hear to read comment not spelling & other mistakes! I agree with you Two Bills.!?/$”:&$. Oh no why did my computer make all of these punctuation mistakes. Nobody cares!
I can't believe you used the word hear instead of here. My whole day is ruined. I can't believe you don't proofread your postesses at least 5 times before postering. Shame on you.
Old 05-15-2020, 01:08 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,951 Times in 1,706 Posts

Seems like everything’s good now on my iPad Pro.
Old 05-15-2020, 05:21 PM
Veteran member
Default Punctuation is there for a reason!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioBuckeye View Post
But meanings can vary tremendously based on punctuation placement. For example:

Eats shoots and leaves.
Eats, shoots, and leaves.

This is the title of a book by British author Lydia Truss on the importance of punctuation, in this example commas. Identical words—but one describes the feeding patterns of pandas; the other may be a crime scene....
Old 05-15-2020, 06:18 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,152 Times in 1,326 Posts

Quote:

it seems to have been corrected...red, white and blue,
Closed Thread

Tags
red, blue, apostrophe, comma, green

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.