Way to limit who sends DMs to you?

Closed Thread
Old 12-11-2019, 09:26 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,463 Times in 3,089 Posts
Default Way to limit who sends DMs to you?

Not interested in blocking anyone from my view on the forum. I AM interested in preventing certain people from sending me DMs.

Is there a way to do that?
Old 12-11-2019, 10:09 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,661 Times in 727 Posts

What's a DM?
Old 12-11-2019, 10:47 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,506 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

They are called PM's here, meaning personal messages and are sent to folks in private because what they had to say was direct or in response to a post that may have gotten under their collar.

I sent one yesterday and it read;

I cannot underestimate how you should not underestimate me.

Search Engine Showdown: Google vs. Bing

Have you read, Think like Zuck?

It was because I was impatient with someone who explained to me the name of the person who owns Facebook.
Old 12-11-2019, 10:53 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,162 Times in 833 Posts

Every one of you understood what was meant by DM, I think. The OP [original poster] is asking how to prevent private messages, or perhaps digital messages, using this forum.

Looking at the options offered I don't see a way to only block a person from sending a message. You can contact the administrator and ask that question. To do that go to the bottom of the page and just over the green stripe are several small choices including "contact us".

If there is a poster who is being abusive in their "DM's" I would suggest letting the administrator know about that abuse.
Old 12-11-2019, 11:45 AM

OK enough fun.

Go to “USER CP” on top menu bar. On left hand side go to “Settings & options” and then to “Edit Options.”

You have some choices there that may help.
Old 12-11-2019, 11:53 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,417 Times in 2,267 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
Not interested in blocking anyone from my view on the forum. I AM interested in preventing certain people from sending me DMs.

Is there a way to do that?
I would first ask the person you no longer wish to receive PM's from to stop sending them to you.

If that didn't work I would seek Moderator intervention.

If that didn't yield satisfactory results I would just delete said person's PM's before reading them.

We've Got Plenty Of Youth.. What We Need Is a Fountain Of SMART!
Old 12-11-2019, 11:56 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackie View Post
OK enough fun.

Go to “USER CP” on top menu bar. On left hand side go to “Settings & options” and then to “Edit Options.”

You have some choices there that may help.
How very nice of you to give the OP the information she needs.

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 12-11-2019, 12:03 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madelaine Amee View Post
How very nice of you to give the OP the information she needs.
As I see it there's no way to stop just certain people from sending you a PM. It looks like it's all or nothing. You can limit it to just people on your contact list but I don't see an option to block just certain users.

Old 12-11-2019, 02:44 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenswing View Post
As I see it there's no way to stop just certain people from sending you a PM. It looks like it's all or nothing. You can limit it to just people on your contact list but I don't see an option to block just certain users.
If someone annoys you they can be put on your blocked list and that includes the pms too. Or if you really want to get at them return the pm to their address unopened or unread.

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 12-11-2019, 02:58 PM
Sage

Quote:
If someone annoys you they can be put on your blocked list and that includes the pms too. Or if you really want to get at them return the pm to their address unopened or unread.
I understand what you're saying. But the OP stated she didn't want to block anyone, just their PM's.

Old 12-11-2019, 03:20 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenswing View Post
I understand what you're saying. But the OP stated she didn't want to block anyone, just their PM's.
Um, in that case I got nothing ....................

Old 12-11-2019, 06:12 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,463 Times in 3,089 Posts

Thanks folks. Kenswing is spot-on. For now I'll just block that person entirely, since I don't want to add "everyone except that one person" to my contact list (which currently has no one on it). I just wanted to block one person's DMs.

For those of you who don't know the term, it stands for Direct Message. It is synonymous with Private Message, but used more widely throughout the rest of the intranetwebz
Old 12-11-2019, 08:35 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Correct.

Even though a person may be blocked, a thread will still indicate that they have posted in a thread (just not the post itself) and you'll see an icon that gives you the opportunity to view their post if one wishes...while still stopping them from sending PM's.

Then again, as has been mentioned, one can still use the option of telling the nasty pest to stop sending personal messages and then if they continue...just forward the pest's PM's to management.
Closed Thread

Tags
interested, dms, sending, people, preventing

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.