BEWARE scammers answering FOR SALE ads

Closed Thread
Old 08-17-2020, 01:42 PM
Exclamation BEWARE scammers answering FOR SALE ads

FYI I recently had a reply for a rug I had for sale in TOTV classifieds. The respondent claimed he was in the U.S. Military on a base and didn't have access to online banking, so wanted to send me a cashier's check for my rug. He said he was buying the rug for his father and needed my name, address and phone number to send the check and have his "agent" come pick up the rug, after the check had cleared in my bank. In the middle of his email was a form he wanted me to fill out giving my name, address, phone number etc.
I gave him my name and address, but refused to give phone number and told him I would not pay any money to "receive" his check. I didn't fill out his "form" requesting name, etc and next day he wrote back saying he still needed my name, address etc. I knew he was a scammer for several reasons: He didn't spell his name correctly he said Micheal instead of Michael. He didn't use English words correctly as a native English speaker would do " my father will be "much" happy... Anyone in the U.S. military would generally be a native born American and speak correct English. Anyone in the U.S. military would generally have online access to a bank. A regular person who wanted to buy a rug wouldn't be including a "form" in the middle of his email asking for my name, address, phone number etc. A regular person wouldn't be sending me a certified check or have an "agent" pick up the rug.
Yes, I know there could be exceptions to one or two of the "mistakes" in his email, but when you add them all up, you can pretty much surmise he's a scammer.
I'm aware of how often scammers try to steal identity, money etc and just wanted to WARN innocent people listing items for sale in Talk of The Villages to be very careful if/when you get any replies that might seem a bit suspicious. Show the reply to a friend/family member and trust you gut. It's better to be safe than sorry! Scammers are everywhere and love to target the unsuspicious and/or elderly!
Old 08-17-2020, 01:59 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,412 Times in 5,105 Posts

This is a very common scam. The cashiers check will be counterfeit and completely worthless. But, the sad part of it is that your bank won't tell you that. They will cash the check and then send you a letter weeks later saying that they are debiting your account because the check was bogus. Apparently, there is no way to get your bank to "clear" the check.
Old 08-17-2020, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaufnelson View Post
FYI I recently had a reply for a rug I had for sale in TOTV classifieds. The respondent claimed he was in the U.S. Military on a base and didn't have access to online banking, so wanted to send me a cashier's check for my rug. He said he was buying the rug for his father and needed my name, address and phone number to send the check and have his "agent" come pick up the rug, after the check had cleared in my bank. In the middle of his email was a form he wanted me to fill out giving my name, address, phone number etc.
I gave him my name and address, but refused to give phone number and told him I would not pay any money to "receive" his check. I didn't fill out his "form" requesting name, etc and next day he wrote back saying he still needed my name, address etc. I knew he was a scammer for several reasons: He didn't spell his name correctly he said Micheal instead of Michael. He didn't use English words correctly as a native English speaker would do " my father will be "much" happy... Anyone in the U.S. military would generally be a native born American and speak correct English. Anyone in the U.S. military would generally have online access to a bank. A regular person who wanted to buy a rug wouldn't be including a "form" in the middle of his email asking for my name, address, phone number etc. A regular person wouldn't be sending me a certified check or have an "agent" pick up the rug.
Yes, I know there could be exceptions to one or two of the "mistakes" in his email, but when you add them all up, you can pretty much surmise he's a scammer.
I'm aware of how often scammers try to steal identity, money etc and just wanted to WARN innocent people listing items for sale in Talk of The Villages to be very careful if/when you get any replies that might seem a bit suspicious. Show the reply to a friend/family member and trust you gut. It's better to be safe than sorry! Scammers are everywhere and love to target the unsuspicious and/or elderly!
OMG! Why would you give him your name and address! That’s worse then giving him just your phone number. Did you need to sell the rug that bad? In this day and time you can’t trust anybody! Stay safe
Old 08-17-2020, 07:43 PM
Default scam

same thing happened to me last week, I picked up on the same clues not quite clear how he would profit from this but maybe can sell adress and phone #
Old 08-17-2020, 08:03 PM
TOTV Moderator

Please let us know the member name of these scammers. Only registered members can see contact info in the classifieds. We will take swift action to disable their accounts.

Unfortunate, but it happens in the online world. Whether on TOTV or other classified sites, be careful when dealing with buyers and sellers.

Old 08-18-2020, 02:39 PM

the offer I recieved came from Micheal Jones (pretty generic name) with email mj012438@gmail.com
Old 08-18-2020, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaufnelson View Post
I had the same scammer contact me about an item I had listed. He gave me the same story about being in the military, etc. I also had another scammer contact me about the same item and said that he was moving to this area and would have his mover come to pick up the item after he mailed me a certified check. I played along and had him send me an overnight Fedex envelope with a check inside. The check looks legit and was theoretically from US Bank in Bowling Green, KY. The return address on the Fedex envelope is a real company and the telephone number associated with the envelope is also a real telephone number BUT for a different company than the company associated with the return address. The check sent to me was for $1500 when the item I was selling was only priced at $200. I was supposed to give the difference to the moving company when they showed up to pick up the item. Along with the check I received a letter from a Mr. Thomas Wung who is supposedly the CPA of an unnamed company. I looked online and found another person who got a scam letter from the same Mr. Thomas Wung. I stopped corresponding with them after I wrote to them and told them I was taking the matter to my local officials to deal with their scamming of users of Talk of the Villages. Bottom line: If you want to purchase my item it has to be in person and for cash only! No more stories of being out of town, etc.
Closed Thread

Tags
rug, address, check, wanted, number

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.