Message blocking does not appear to be working

Closed Thread
Old 12-16-2020, 04:13 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,151 Times in 2,249 Posts
Default Message blocking does not appear to be working

I placed a members name in the IGNORE list, but I am still seeing messages from that member. I went into the the ignore list a few minutes ago and double checked that the member was listed there, so what am I doing wrong?
Old 12-16-2020, 04:31 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,388 Times in 2,066 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
I placed a members name in the IGNORE list, but I am still seeing messages from that member. I went into the the ignore list a few minutes ago and double checked that the member was listed there, so what am I doing wrong?
It seems to be working for me. I still see that they posted a message but the content of the post is hidden.
Old 12-16-2020, 05:43 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,421 Times in 2,268 Posts

Quote:
I found that if I don't log in, and view the forums as a Guest, I will see the posts of the people I have blocked. If I log back in I won't see them?

Any chance the system is logging you out without you realizing it?

We've Got Plenty Of Youth.. What We Need Is a Fountain Of SMART!
Old 12-16-2020, 06:42 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenswing View Post
I found that if I don't log in, and view the forums as a Guest, I will see the posts of the people I have blocked. If I log back in I won't see them?

That was my first thought too.
Old 12-16-2020, 06:54 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenswing View Post

Still logged in, Mansfield Landscaping is one of the entities I have blocked, todays post and all of the comments are clearly visible. The system still indicates I am logged in. Hope one of the moderators or owners will find out what is going on. This is not a major problem but is annoying.
Old 12-16-2020, 06:56 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,506 Times in 3,104 Posts

Quote:
Still logged in, Mansfield Landscaping is one of the entities I have blocked, todays post and all of the comments are clearly visible. The system still indicates I am logged in. Hope one of the moderators or owners will find out what is going on. This is not a major problem but is annoying.
It's possible that since they pay to be here, blocking won't work on their posts?

Just a guess.
Old 12-16-2020, 08:22 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
It's possible that since they pay to be here, blocking won't work on their posts?

Just a guess.
I haven't blocked anybody but I never see posts from Mansfield. Could it be your browser?

Oh, oh, in searching history I find out that I blocked two spammers way back when. And now, after reading another thread on mortgages, I've just blocked a certain sponsor. We'll see how that works out.

Last edited by Carla B; 12-16-2020 at 09:10 PM. Reason: Added correction.
Old 12-16-2020, 08:29 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,139 Times in 882 Posts

Sorry you're experiencing this, but I'm happy to know that function exists. Grumpy uncivil bullies be gone! That is if I get it to work...
Old 12-16-2020, 08:29 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,665 Times in 594 Posts

*raising my hand *
My name is John and I am a techno-dinosaur. How do you block someone?
I want to block the guy who keeps advertising reverse mortgages (and probably Mansfield landscaping too). Thanks, Happy Holidays.
Old 12-16-2020, 08:48 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnN View Post
*raising my hand *
My name is John and I am a techno-dinosaur. How do you block someone?
I want to block the guy who keeps advertising reverse mortgages (and probably Mansfield landscaping too). Thanks, Happy Holidays.
Go to USER SETTINGS (top menu), then on the left side column scroll down to EDIT IGNORE LIST, start typing in the name to be ignored, select from the pop up list and save. You should now see that name in your ignore list.

Interesting point on paid advertiser, I had blocked Mansfield years ago when it was obvious most of the rave comments were from users with 1 post, and similar wording. I just noticed over the last couple of months that I was seeing these posts again.
Old 12-16-2020, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Try this.

Go to Mansfield’s post and underneath the number of pages of posts tap/click on the words “Ad poster.”

You get into the Ad posters profile.

Tap/click on the “User Lists” drop down box.

Tap/click on “Add to Ignore List.”

See if that works.

Updated - This doesn’t seem to work either.

Last edited by Blackie; 12-16-2020 at 09:29 PM.
Old 12-16-2020, 09:28 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,665 Times in 594 Posts

Quote:
Go to USER SETTINGS (top menu), then on the left side column scroll down to EDIT IGNORE LIST, start typing in the name to be ignored, select from the pop up list and save. You should now see that name in your ignore list.

Interesting point on paid advertiser, I had blocked Mansfield years ago when it was obvious most of the rave comments were from users with 1 post, and similar wording. I just noticed over the last couple of months that I was seeing these posts again.
thanks tinker! much appreciated
Old 12-16-2020, 10:27 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,421 Times in 2,268 Posts

Quote:

Are you trying to "ignore" Mansfield or people that post in their thread?

The last time Mansfield actually posted was in January of 2019.
https://www.talkofthevillages.com/fo...rchid=18864760

Not sure if you can block a thread or not.

We've Got Plenty Of Youth.. What We Need Is a Fountain Of SMART!
Old 12-17-2020, 10:18 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,922 Times in 1,111 Posts

I don’t understand this ignore blocking , you mean you actually spend time blocking names very and businesses? Why can’t you just not read it ? Amazing that such a minor issue can bother people .
Old 12-17-2020, 11:18 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,388 Times in 2,066 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlieo1126@gmail.com View Post
I don’t understand this ignore blocking , you mean you actually spend time blocking names very and businesses? Why can’t you just not read it ? Amazing that such a minor issue can bother people .
Personally, I read the comments first and don't even look at the name unless there is a reason to. Blocking posters whose comments I don't want to ever see relieves me of changing the way I normally work.
Closed Thread

Tags
member, list, ignore, minutes, message

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.