New version vs old version

Closed Thread
Old 02-24-2020, 06:45 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,156 Times in 1,919 Posts
Default New version vs old version

I still find myself reading the old version of TOTV on my laptop. Just wondering how much longer we will have the option of using the old version before it "goes away".

I do like the improvement of the new version of the forum on my iPhone as it is so much easier to read. The text size is a huge improvement over the old version.
Old 02-24-2020, 07:26 AM

I'm new, there was an older version?

What I am seeing on my desktop's monitor is wonderful.

I have noticed the last few days that I am getting a daily update delivered to my email inbox.
The Village Rockers is now forming. Stay "tuned" for further details about this new club for musicians, singers and spectators. Send us your name and email address. We will put you on our email list for news, updates, meeting times and playdates.
Old 02-24-2020, 09:02 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

New version vs old version
Old 02-24-2020, 09:32 AM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,297 Times in 535 Posts

I may be a minority regarding new vs. old format because I like the old version but have been using the new one because the old format will be dropped. Just “old school” I guess - if it’s not broke...
Old 02-24-2020, 10:30 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,661 Times in 727 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjim View Post
I may be a minority regarding new vs. old format because I like the old version but have been using the new one because the old format will be dropped. Just “old school” I guess - if it’s not broke...
Oh it's broke! Just not in a way that changing the format will fix. But I get where you're coming from. I dislike the the new version.
Old 02-24-2020, 02:10 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

I used the new version for about 30 minutes, and then been on the old version ever since. I can't stand looking at the new version. What's that phrase?

The Villages Florida
Old 02-24-2020, 03:58 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,302 Times in 865 Posts

So far have committed to using the new version since it will eventually be the only version....works fine for me, easy to use and read and seems to have easier navigation. I enjoy exploring new versions of most things.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 02-24-2020, 07:03 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

Still using the old, change does not come easy for some. Didn’t like the background, harder to read posts. But I usually only have a few minutes at a time to read
Old 02-24-2020, 07:14 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,743 Times in 1,383 Posts

I will continue to use the "old" as long as it is available.
I have had little or no problems/issues with the "old" version over the years.

I am sure there are techie issue improvements in the new version. But, from an average user perspective, I detect no obvious user improvements......what is noticeable, the bright and busy pages are not to my liking.

For now I will continue with what has worked, pretty much reliably for several years........until it is no longer available.
Old 02-24-2020, 11:10 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

I liked it better, when we only had the old version.

Back then, I never worried about getting a 'gut ache'...from using it.
Old 02-25-2020, 06:02 PM
Administrator

The new version is due to necessity on a technical front.

If there is a specific suggestion that we can incorporate into the new version to make it better for the users feel free to let us know those specific suggestions. We don't have a set time on when the old will be retired but it is no longer supported so anything that breaks will be left as is. We don't have the resources to support multiple versions and we have to move forward with technology.

To put things in perspective, this is the original website and older versions. The links below will take you there. The website had to be changed over the years. There have always been users who did not like the change but it is all just part of technology and the changes that happen.

Talk of the Villages

Talk of The Villages - The Villages, Florida
Old 02-26-2020, 07:40 AM
Veteran member

Ii seems most of the complaints of the New version is still the aesthetics of the page.. it's still to bright, in the old version which I also prefer the dark green in the last post and views column breaks up the brightness and is much easier to look at
Old 02-26-2020, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOTV Team View Post
The new version is due to necessity on a technical front.

If there is a specific suggestion that we can incorporate into the new version to make it better for the users feel free to let us know those specific suggestions. We don't have a set time on when the old will be retired but it is no longer supported so anything that breaks will be left as is. We don't have the resources to support multiple versions and we have to move forward with technology.

To put things in perspective, this is the original website and older versions. The links below will take you there. The website had to be changed over the years. There have always been users who did not like the change but it is all just part of technology and the changes that happen.

Talk of the Villages

Talk of The Villages - The Villages, Florida
My specific suggestion is, no matter what has been changed in the guts of the system to modernize it, make the new home page layout and navigation look like the old home page.
Old 02-26-2020, 10:21 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob47 View Post
My specific suggestion is, no matter what has been changed in the guts of the system to modernize it, make the new home page layout and navigation look like the old home page.
Is this the page that you are suggesting should be changed?

https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/
Old 02-26-2020, 11:42 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,743 Times in 1,383 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob47 View Post
Why can't the old format (what we see and use) be driven by the new "guts"? Or at least mimic the format/colors/etc in the new version.
Closed Thread

Tags
version, improvement, read, text, easier

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.