Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   TOTV Website Support and Testing (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/totv-website-support-testing-74/)
-   -   The "Thanks" Button (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/totv-website-support-testing-74/thanks-button-298327/)

ColdNoMore 01-12-2020 06:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by coffeebean (Post 1709178)
I don't see a "THANKS" button on the new version. That is an improvement over the old version.

:thumbup:

:D

Madelaine Amee 01-12-2020 07:48 AM

........ and I don't see it as a "thank you for posting", I see it as "I agree with you".

Boomer 01-12-2020 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Madelaine Amee (Post 1709195)
........ and I don't see it as a "thank you for posting", I see it as "I agree with you".

Hi Madelaine Amee,

I just want to tell you that I completely agree with your perspective on seeing the “thank you” as an “I agree with you.”

When I like a post, I try to take the time to tell the poster that I do — and why. Of course, I can’t do that every time I see a post I like. I have never resorted to the “Thanks” button. (But that’s just me.)

— Even so, I know that posters are mostly sincere when they use the “Thanks” on here to communicate. But I might be the only person in the world not on Facebook so I am not into the positions of thumbs.

Interestingly, it does not take long to notice a rather insidious pattern that can emerge from within such succinct communication as the “Thanks” button.

It does not qualify as “click bait” but there are times when it appears to be nothing more than “clique bait” — as in bait ‘em in to take a side. For some, division is far more important than discussion.

It’s all theater — complete with character motivation.

Two Bills 01-12-2020 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by coffeebean (Post 1709178)
I don't see a "THANKS" button on the new version. That is an improvement over the old version.

If you click on the + button it's there.

stan the man 01-12-2020 09:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by graciegirl (Post 1682711)
I agree that everyone in the world needs to be liked.

I don't understand when you say you can "buy" likes on Facebook. On Facebook there is a like, wow, angry, sad, laugh and love button to push...…...or don't push anything.

I don't like the word "fora" for plural for forums.

I don't like a lot of things,,,,,, how about a dislike button :pray:

coffeebean 01-12-2020 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Two Bills (Post 1709234)
If you click on the + button it's there.

I don't see a + button. Where is it? What I do see is a "thumbs up" button. Is that the button you refer to?

Kenswing 01-12-2020 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by coffeebean (Post 1709284)
I don't see a + button. Where is it? What I do see is a "thumbs up" button. Is that the button you refer to?

The + symbol will only appear after a post is "Thanked". So, hit that thumbs up button and the + will show up soon after.

I thanked your post. There should now be a + sign next to the thumbs up. Hit that and see who thanked you..

ColdNoMore 01-12-2020 06:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boomer (Post 1709227)
Hi Madelaine Amee,

I just want to tell you that I completely agree with your perspective on seeing the “thank you” as an “I agree with you.”

When I like a post, I try to take the time to tell the poster that I do — and why. Of course, I can’t do that every time I see a post I like. I have never resorted to the “Thanks” button. (But that’s just me.)

— Even so, I know that posters are mostly sincere when they use the “Thanks” on here to communicate. But I might be the only person in the world not on Facebook so I am not into the positions of thumbs.

Interestingly, it does not take long to notice a rather insidious pattern that can emerge from within such succinct communication as the “Thanks” button.

It does not qualify as “click bait” but there are times when it appears to be nothing more than “clique bait” — as in bait ‘em in to take a side. For some, division is far more important than discussion.

It’s all theater — complete with character motivation.

Ditto for me, on almost everything you said...except being on Facebook.

I do however, restrict my Facebook friend list to relatives (the ones who aren't cray-cray)...and some very old friends.

I was particularly impressed with your very astute observation...regarding “clique bait.”

A person could make money betting, on who will show up like clockwork, in the 'thanks' box in certain debates/discussions... involving certain members. :D

I also prefer to take the time to acknowledge in writing when I agree with someone, so don't be specting' me...to "like" your post. :1rotfl:

If they ever come up with a 'dislike' button however, well.......:popcorn:

coffeebean 05-11-2020 06:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Madelaine Amee (Post 1709195)

Yes, it also see it as an "I agree with you". I was informed by another poster that the "Thanks" function is on the new version. Click on the plus button and that lists the usernames of people who have "thanked" that particular post. The thumbs up button is to register your "thanks".

This is an improvement of function over the old version. You see the "Thanks" when you want to see them. If not, the list is not visible.

coffeebean 05-11-2020 06:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by coffeebean (Post 1709284)

The plus button appears after a "thanks" has been registered by a poster. The "Thanks" happens first then the plus button appears. Neat, right?