The "Thanks" Button

Closed Thread
Old 01-12-2020, 06:33 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeebean View Post
I don't see a "THANKS" button on the new version. That is an improvement over the old version.

Old 01-12-2020, 07:48 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts

........ and I don't see it as a "thank you for posting", I see it as "I agree with you".

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 01-12-2020, 09:13 AM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,204 Times in 740 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madelaine Amee View Post
........ and I don't see it as a "thank you for posting", I see it as "I agree with you".

Hi Madelaine Amee,

I just want to tell you that I completely agree with your perspective on seeing the “thank you” as an “I agree with you.”

When I like a post, I try to take the time to tell the poster that I do — and why. Of course, I can’t do that every time I see a post I like. I have never resorted to the “Thanks” button. (But that’s just me.)

— Even so, I know that posters are mostly sincere when they use the “Thanks” on here to communicate. But I might be the only person in the world not on Facebook so I am not into the positions of thumbs.

Interestingly, it does not take long to notice a rather insidious pattern that can emerge from within such succinct communication as the “Thanks” button.

It does not qualify as “click bait” but there are times when it appears to be nothing more than “clique bait” — as in bait ‘em in to take a side. For some, division is far more important than discussion.

It’s all theater — complete with character motivation.
Old 01-12-2020, 09:25 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,279 Times in 2,480 Posts

Quote:
I don't see a "THANKS" button on the new version. That is an improvement over the old version.
If you click on the + button it's there.
Old 01-12-2020, 09:34 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
I agree that everyone in the world needs to be liked.

I don't understand when you say you can "buy" likes on Facebook. On Facebook there is a like, wow, angry, sad, laugh and love button to push...…...or don't push anything.

I don't like the word "fora" for plural for forums.

I don't like a lot of things,,,,,, how about a dislike button
Old 01-12-2020, 12:36 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,156 Times in 1,919 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Bills View Post
If you click on the + button it's there.
I don't see a + button. Where is it? What I do see is a "thumbs up" button. Is that the button you refer to?
Old 01-12-2020, 02:59 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,395 Times in 2,255 Posts

Quote:
I don't see a + button. Where is it? What I do see is a "thumbs up" button. Is that the button you refer to?
The + symbol will only appear after a post is "Thanked". So, hit that thumbs up button and the + will show up soon after.

I thanked your post. There should now be a + sign next to the thumbs up. Hit that and see who thanked you..

We've Got Plenty Of Youth.. What We Need Is a Fountain Of SMART!
Old 01-12-2020, 06:57 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
Hi Madelaine Amee,

I just want to tell you that I completely agree with your perspective on seeing the “thank you” as an “I agree with you.”

When I like a post, I try to take the time to tell the poster that I do — and why. Of course, I can’t do that every time I see a post I like. I have never resorted to the “Thanks” button. (But that’s just me.)

— Even so, I know that posters are mostly sincere when they use the “Thanks” on here to communicate. But I might be the only person in the world not on Facebook so I am not into the positions of thumbs.

Interestingly, it does not take long to notice a rather insidious pattern that can emerge from within such succinct communication as the “Thanks” button.

It does not qualify as “click bait” but there are times when it appears to be nothing more than “clique bait” — as in bait ‘em in to take a side. For some, division is far more important than discussion.

It’s all theater — complete with character motivation.
Ditto for me, on almost everything you said...except being on Facebook.

I do however, restrict my Facebook friend list to relatives (the ones who aren't cray-cray)...and some very old friends.

I was particularly impressed with your very astute observation...regarding “clique bait.”

A person could make money betting, on who will show up like clockwork, in the 'thanks' box in certain debates/discussions... involving certain members.

I also prefer to take the time to acknowledge in writing when I agree with someone, so don't be specting' me...to "like" your post.

If they ever come up with a 'dislike' button however, well.......
Old 05-11-2020, 06:31 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madelaine Amee View Post
Yes, it also see it as an "I agree with you". I was informed by another poster that the "Thanks" function is on the new version. Click on the plus button and that lists the usernames of people who have "thanked" that particular post. The thumbs up button is to register your "thanks".

This is an improvement of function over the old version. You see the "Thanks" when you want to see them. If not, the list is not visible.
Old 05-11-2020, 06:34 AM
Sage

Quote:
The plus button appears after a "thanks" has been registered by a poster. The "Thanks" happens first then the plus button appears. Neat, right?

Tags
ruins, flow, thread, scrolling, find

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.