TOTV Access
Home
Menu

TOTV Access

Notices

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors




















» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
TOTV Access
  #1  
Old 04-14-2018, 07:57 AM
Paper1 Paper1 is offline
Veteran member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 976
Default TOTV Access

Are people still having trouble logging on to this site? Again I'm on CL, not that I think that is the problem as this is the only website I have difficulty getting on. Yesterday evening I could not get on. After 2 or 3 attempts I was able to log in using data on my cell phone. This morning I logged on first try with my Ipad.

  #2  
Old 04-14-2018, 08:14 AM
jimnc jimnc is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 205
Default

We have Century Link. I am now able to access TOTV but often need to hit the "Reload" button in order for the postings to come up.
For quite some time I wasn't able to access at all.
Sponsored Links
  #3  
Old 04-14-2018, 11:36 AM
tomwed tomwed is offline
Sage
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 9,981
Default

I think only CL customers have the problem. I had that problem twice and it fixed itself. TOTV was the only site I could not reach. DNS error

"Domain Name Servers (DNS) are the Internet's equivalent of a phone book. They maintain a directory of domain names and translate them to Internet Protocol (IP) addresses.

This is necessary because, although domain names are easy for people to remember, computers or machines, access websites based on IP addresses.

Information from all the domain name servers across the Internet are gathered together and housed at the Central Registry. Host companies and Internet Service Providers interact with the Central Registry on a regular schedule to get updated DNS information.

When you type in a web address, e.g., www.jimsbikes.com, your Internet Service Provider views the DNS associated with the domain name, translates it into a machine friendly IP address (for example 216.168.224.70 is the IP for jimsbikes.com) and directs your Internet connection to the correct website.

After you register a new domain name or when you update the DNS servers on your domain name, it usually takes about 12-36 hours for the domain name servers world-wide to be updated and able to access the information. This 36-hour period is referred to as propagation."


If you and I could connect using phone data plan but not connect through ournetwork it seems to me it's a CL problem.

Last edited by tomwed; 04-14-2018 at 11:42 AM.
  #4  
Old 04-14-2018, 11:46 AM
Nucky's Avatar
Nucky Nucky is offline
Sage
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 6,476
Default

There is a site called...Down for everyone or just me. WWW.DOWNFOREVERYONEORJUSTME.COM. Go to this site and type in WWW.TALKOFTHEVILLAGES.COM.....It will report who has the problem, either TOTV'S or my connection with my internet provider.

It has not been anyone's problem but Centurylink. The tech I spoke with yesterday was perplexed for sure. Other than this snafu CL has been flawless.

I don't have any special computer skill's, probably less than most only that I am relentless with Tech Support. I actually tired myself out yesterday with them and surrendered after about 3 hours.
  #5  
Old 04-14-2018, 11:50 AM
fw102807's Avatar
fw102807 fw102807 is online now
Soaring Eagle member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: New England
Posts: 2,487
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nucky View Post
There is a site called...Down for everyone or just me. WWW.DOWNFOREVERYONEORJUSTME.COM. Go to this site and type in WWW.TALKOFTHEVILLAGES.COM.....It will report who has the problem, either TOTV'S or my connection with my internet provider.

It has not been anyone's problem but Centurylink. The tech I spoke with yesterday was perplexed for sure. Other than this snafu CL has been flawless.
From time to time a DNS server will become corrupt and lose the route to some sites. That is why it affects some ISPs and not others. This is something that is monitored continually and gets resolved pretty quickly.
  #6  
Old 04-14-2018, 11:51 AM
tomwed tomwed is offline
Sage
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 9,981
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nucky View Post
There is a site called...Down for everyone or just me. WWW.DOWNFOREVERYONEORJUSTME.COM. Go to this site and type in WWW.TALKOFTHEVILLAGES.COM.....It will report who has the problem, either TOTV'S or my connection with my internet provider.

It has not been anyone's problem but Centurylink. The tech I spoke with yesterday was perplexed for sure. Other than this snafu CL has been flawless.
great job,,,thank-you Nucky----we were both writing at the same time----
  #7  
Old 04-14-2018, 11:52 AM
tomwed tomwed is offline
Sage
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 9,981
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fw102807 View Post
From time to time a DNS server will become corrupt and lose the route to some sites. That is why it affects some ISPs and not others. This is something that is monitored continually and gets resolved pretty quickly.
thank-you too---we were all writing at the same time,,,team work
  #8  
Old 04-14-2018, 11:54 AM
Nucky's Avatar
Nucky Nucky is offline
Sage
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 6,476
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwed View Post
I think only CL customers have the problem. I had that problem twice and it fixed itself. TOTV was the only site I could not reach. DNS error

"Domain Name Servers (DNS) are the Internet's equivalent of a phone book. They maintain a directory of domain names and translate them to Internet Protocol (IP) addresses.

This is necessary because, although domain names are easy for people to remember, computers or machines, access websites based on IP addresses.

Information from all the domain name servers across the Internet are gathered together and housed at the Central Registry. Host companies and Internet Service Providers interact with the Central Registry on a regular schedule to get updated DNS information.

When you type in a web address, e.g., www.jimsbikes.com, your Internet Service Provider views the DNS associated with the domain name, translates it into a machine friendly IP address (for example 216.168.224.70 is the IP for jimsbikes.com) and directs your Internet connection to the correct website.

After you register a new domain name or when you update the DNS servers on your domain name, it usually takes about 12-36 hours for the domain name servers world-wide to be updated and able to access the information. This 36-hour period is referred to as propagation."


If you and I could connect using phone data plan but not connect through ournetwork it seems to me it's a CL problem.
I asked for the time and you build me a Grandfather Clock! Touche. Just working together. I actually understand what you typed. Maybe my tech skills are getting better. Must be the Pickle Juice.
  #9  
Old 04-14-2018, 11:55 AM
fw102807's Avatar
fw102807 fw102807 is online now
Soaring Eagle member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: New England
Posts: 2,487
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwed View Post
thank-you too---we were all writing at the same time,,,team work
Yes, yay team
  #10  
Old 04-14-2018, 11:55 AM
tomwed tomwed is offline
Sage
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 9,981
Default

Now that I'm part of a team that get's things done. Does anyone know where I left my car keys?
Closed Thread

Tags
log, attempts, ipad, logged, morning

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:17 PM.


Clubs, Vendor Tools vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.