TOTV Access

Closed Thread
Old 04-14-2018, 07:57 AM
Gold member
Default TOTV Access

Are people still having trouble logging on to this site? Again I'm on CL, not that I think that is the problem as this is the only website I have difficulty getting on. Yesterday evening I could not get on. After 2 or 3 attempts I was able to log in using data on my cell phone. This morning I logged on first try with my Ipad.
Old 04-14-2018, 08:14 AM

We have Century Link. I am now able to access TOTV but often need to hit the "Reload" button in order for the postings to come up.
For quite some time I wasn't able to access at all.
Old 04-14-2018, 11:36 AM
Sage

I think only CL customers have the problem. I had that problem twice and it fixed itself. TOTV was the only site I could not reach. DNS error

"Domain Name Servers (DNS) are the Internet's equivalent of a phone book. They maintain a directory of domain names and translate them to Internet Protocol (IP) addresses.

This is necessary because, although domain names are easy for people to remember, computers or machines, access websites based on IP addresses.

Information from all the domain name servers across the Internet are gathered together and housed at the Central Registry. Host companies and Internet Service Providers interact with the Central Registry on a regular schedule to get updated DNS information.

When you type in a web address, e.g., www.jimsbikes.com, your Internet Service Provider views the DNS associated with the domain name, translates it into a machine friendly IP address (for example 216.168.224.70 is the IP for jimsbikes.com) and directs your Internet connection to the correct website.

After you register a new domain name or when you update the DNS servers on your domain name, it usually takes about 12-36 hours for the domain name servers world-wide to be updated and able to access the information. This 36-hour period is referred to as propagation."

If you and I could connect using phone data plan but not connect through ournetwork it seems to me it's a CL problem.

Last edited by tomwed; 04-14-2018 at 11:42 AM.
Old 04-14-2018, 11:46 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

There is a site called...Down for everyone or just me. WWW.DOWNFOREVERYONEORJUSTME.COM. Go to this site and type in WWW.TALKOFTHEVILLAGES.COM.....It will report who has the problem, either TOTV'S or my connection with my internet provider.

It has not been anyone's problem but Centurylink. The tech I spoke with yesterday was perplexed for sure. Other than this snafu CL has been flawless.

I don't have any special computer skill's, probably less than most only that I am relentless with Tech Support. I actually tired myself out yesterday with them and surrendered after about 3 hours.
Old 04-14-2018, 11:50 AM
fw102807

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nucky View Post
There is a site called...Down for everyone or just me. WWW.DOWNFOREVERYONEORJUSTME.COM. Go to this site and type in WWW.TALKOFTHEVILLAGES.COM.....It will report who has the problem, either TOTV'S or my connection with my internet provider.

It has not been anyone's problem but Centurylink. The tech I spoke with yesterday was perplexed for sure. Other than this snafu CL has been flawless.
From time to time a DNS server will become corrupt and lose the route to some sites. That is why it affects some ISPs and not others. This is something that is monitored continually and gets resolved pretty quickly.
Old 04-14-2018, 11:51 AM
Sage

Quote:

great job,,,thank-you Nucky----we were both writing at the same time----
Old 04-14-2018, 11:52 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by fw102807 View Post
From time to time a DNS server will become corrupt and lose the route to some sites. That is why it affects some ISPs and not others. This is something that is monitored continually and gets resolved pretty quickly.
thank-you too---we were all writing at the same time,,,team work
Old 04-14-2018, 11:54 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwed View Post
I think only CL customers have the problem. I had that problem twice and it fixed itself. TOTV was the only site I could not reach. DNS error

"Domain Name Servers (DNS) are the Internet's equivalent of a phone book. They maintain a directory of domain names and translate them to Internet Protocol (IP) addresses.

This is necessary because, although domain names are easy for people to remember, computers or machines, access websites based on IP addresses.

Information from all the domain name servers across the Internet are gathered together and housed at the Central Registry. Host companies and Internet Service Providers interact with the Central Registry on a regular schedule to get updated DNS information.

When you type in a web address, e.g., www.jimsbikes.com, your Internet Service Provider views the DNS associated with the domain name, translates it into a machine friendly IP address (for example 216.168.224.70 is the IP for jimsbikes.com) and directs your Internet connection to the correct website.

After you register a new domain name or when you update the DNS servers on your domain name, it usually takes about 12-36 hours for the domain name servers world-wide to be updated and able to access the information. This 36-hour period is referred to as propagation."

If you and I could connect using phone data plan but not connect through ournetwork it seems to me it's a CL problem.
I asked for the time and you build me a Grandfather Clock! Touche. Just working together. I actually understand what you typed. Maybe my tech skills are getting better. Must be the Pickle Juice.
Old 04-14-2018, 11:55 AM
fw102807

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwed View Post
thank-you too---we were all writing at the same time,,,team work
Yes, yay team
Old 04-14-2018, 11:55 AM
Sage

Now that I'm part of a team that get's things done. Does anyone know where I left my car keys?
Old 04-14-2018, 11:56 AM
fw102807

Quote:
I asked for the time and you build me a Grandfather Clock! Touche.
Mine was just a pocketwatch
Old 04-14-2018, 07:46 PM
Gold member

Quote:

I don't have any special computer skill's, probably less than most only that I am relentless with Tech Support. I actually tired myself out yesterday with them and surrendered after about 3 hours.
This is what I see when trying to access that site:

Your connection is not secure

The owner of www.downforeveryoneorjustme.com has configured their website improperly. To protect your information from being stolen, Firefox has not connected to this website.
Old 04-14-2018, 08:02 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoSno View Post
This is what I see when trying to access that site:

Your connection is not secure

The owner of www.downforeveryoneorjustme.com has configured their website improperly. To protect your information from being stolen, Firefox has not connected to this website.
I got that website from the Bosses at TOTV'S. It has worked well for me on Google Chrome on a Mac & Windows 10.

As of today, I've connected again but intermittently it keeps going off then back on. I'm starting to not even care anymore. I surrender.
Old 04-15-2018, 05:42 AM
Gold member

Thanks for all the informative dialog, I think if I understood correctly there is nothing I can do other than wait it out. I couldn’t get on again last night but this morning I did although I lost connection while I was on the site.
Old 04-15-2018, 06:39 AM
fw102807

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paper1 View Post
Thanks for all the informative dialog, I think if I understood correctly there is nothing I can do other than wait it out. I couldn’t get on again last night but this morning I did although I lost connection while I was on the site.
If you lost the connection while you were already on the site then it was not a DNS issue. It only happens on TOTV? We have Comcast and we have been losing our connection intermittenty but everything goes down and then comes back We have already had the tech here once but it is still happening.
Closed Thread

Tags
log, attempts, ipad, logged, morning

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.