Uber

Closed Thread
Old 02-04-2021, 06:13 AM
Veteran member
Default Uber

Does anyone have experience using Uber? Is it safe? Are they insured? Would it be safe for women to use Uber who are by themselves? Thanks for any information.
Old 02-04-2021, 06:19 AM

It's like hitchhiking, but you pay. I had an Uber come but the car was dirty and the driver was burning incense or something to hide the smell, so I declined and rebooked. UBER charged me a $5 cancellation fee on the first ride and when I complained about the incense they told me it was a religious thing the driver had. I asked if someone could decline a ride on the basis of dashboard Jesus or a rosary wrapped around the rearview mirror...no answer, but I got my $5 back!
Old 02-04-2021, 06:32 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,382 Times in 2,061 Posts

I have used Uber in several cities with no issues. I'm an older guy but I know that my young niece uses it as well.

The Uber website should have some information on safety and things to do to feel comfortable.

The most important thing to do is check to make sure you are getting into the correct car. The app should give you the make, model, and color of the car as well as the license plate number and name of the driver - only get into that car.

My experiences have been all been positive. Some drivers are more talkative than others but all have taken me where I wanted to go in a safe manner.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 02-04-2021, 08:08 AM

I actually prefer Uber or Lyft over a taxi. I have not had any negative experiences and believe all 3 are equally safe.
Old 02-04-2021, 08:54 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,107 Times in 1,339 Posts

Doesn't everybody love riding around with strangers?
Old 02-04-2021, 08:48 PM

Used it countless times in several states and dozens of cities. No issues or concerns on any of those rides. Not sure of ride sharing at the moment, due to COVID, but other than that am quite comfortable.
Old 02-04-2021, 09:30 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,142 Times in 301 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmd2 View Post
Does anyone have experience using Uber? Is it safe? Are they insured? Would it be safe for women to use Uber who are by themselves? Thanks for any information.
My wife and I have used Uber, separately and together, in several cities and always have been satisfied. However in Houston many of the driver's spoke Spanish more than English but since I speak Spanish it was not an issue. No experience with it here in TV though.
Old 02-04-2021, 09:34 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,417 Times in 2,267 Posts

If the city has Uber we use it. Much better than a taxi. With Uber, once you order a car they send you the license plate number of the car that is coming for you.

We've Got Plenty Of Youth.. What We Need Is a Fountain Of SMART!
Old 02-04-2021, 10:08 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,022 Times in 5,323 Posts

In the past we have used it a number of times at airport and been ok.

Only problem has been finding each other.

Right now due to covid hard to say if they clean car regularly so would hesitate to use it
Old 02-05-2021, 06:04 AM
Veteran member

With tens of millions of uber rides over the years yes there have been some incidents, mostly my concern is that many Uber drivers seem to be smoking marijuana either in the car or previous to driving to you. For that reason I don't feel safe especially in places like New York or California. that said depending on where you go especially if it's in airport there are several very well recommended services in this area
Old 02-05-2021, 06:20 AM

From somebody that just moved form CA Now PA and has traveled all over the US and been on probably 100 Uber rides, I have never run into any of these things people are talking about. Even in Colorado where pot is legal… Nothing but positive things. In California we would use Uber a couple times a week. Nothing but positive. It was like having a second car.
Old 02-05-2021, 06:26 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,557 Times in 596 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by J1ceasar View Post
With tens of millions of uber rides over the years yes there have been some incidents, mostly my concern is that many Uber drivers seem to be smoking marijuana either in the car or previous to driving to you. For that reason I don't feel safe especially in places like New York or California. that said depending on where you go especially if it's in airport there are several very well recommended services in this area
Really? I seriously doubt that Uber drivers in NY and Ca. are known for pot smoking. They are as safe or unsafe as taxis or any other hired car service. No matter how you look at it, youre getting in the car of a stranger. I personally have never had an issue with any services.
Old 02-05-2021, 06:32 AM

I have used a Uber Driver in NYC several times and at home on Long Island. Download the app on your phone. When you request a Uber driver and you get a response. You will be told the drivers name, you will receive a picture of the driver, you will get his license plate number along with the color and make of his care. You do not pay him directly you will set up an account so he gets paid. You can always snap shot the info and send it to a friend just so you may feel better that someone knows where you are going and who the driver may be. The Drivers Insurance is covered by UBER when he picks up a fare / customer. Enjoy the ride.
Old 02-05-2021, 06:34 AM

I use Lyft all the time..no issues..
Old 02-05-2021, 06:34 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,858 Times in 784 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NachoMama View Post
Used it countless times in several states and dozens of cities. No issues or concerns on any of those rides. Not sure of ride sharing at the moment, due to COVID, but other than that am quite comfortable.
A recent study showed that if you are alone with an Uber or taxi driver, sit in the rear passenger-side seat, open the rear driver-side window several inches and the front passenger-side seat several inches. This causes a wall of air flow between you and the driver that greatly decreases the chance of air transmission of the virus. Wear your mask. Don’t touch things. Use hand sanitizer when you get out, after fastening your seat belt, etc. Still, it’s not without its risks. Avoid all public transport as much as you can.
Closed Thread

Tags
uber, safe, women, insured, experience

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.