4 or 5 day tour of the Keys

Closed Thread
Old 03-06-2023, 07:06 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,151 Times in 2,249 Posts
Default 4 or 5 day tour of the Keys

A few years ago we took a tour, Bus from TV to Fort Meyers, Fort Myers express across the Gulf of Mexico, 3 or 4 nights in Key West, then bus ride in US 1 back to Miami, and then to TV.
I have forgotten who we used, but we have friends that would like to do this trip, and we would like to do it again. If anyone knows of the entity doing this type of trip, please let me know. i have not found it listed in the travel section of the local paper and the company that I thought we used does not do this trip.
Old 03-06-2023, 11:02 PM
Platinum member
Location: Here, there, a lot of time in the Caribbean and keys, not much time spent in cold climates
Thanked 1,759 Times in 757 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
A few years ago we took a tour, Bus from TV to Fort Meyers, Fort Myers express across the Gulf of Mexico, 3 or 4 nights in Key West, then bus ride in US 1 back to Miami, and then to TV.
I have forgotten who we used, but we have friends that would like to do this trip, and we would like to do it again. If anyone knows of the entity doing this type of trip, please let me know. i have not found it listed in the travel section of the local paper and the company that I thought we used does not do this trip.
You mentioned you've tried the local paper Sunday travel section. Probably, also those who advertise in the Villages neighbors magazine. I do remember when the local group called senior adventures did that trip. We wanted to go but the date didn't work out for us. However, a year or two later we planned the trip on our own for when our adult children were here to visit. We drove to Ft. Meyers (from south Fl originally so we have family in the area where we could leave our car) and took the Key West Express. I understand from their website they now also offer departures from Marco Island. Just a thought, call the number on their website ( 239-463-5733) and ask; Do you have any groups from the Villages who have reserved dates ? If not, maybe organize a group yourself ! ? When we took "the kids", it was such a nice trip. Their website also has an email link under "contact us", in case you don't want to call.

Last edited by Pairadocs; 03-06-2023 at 11:13 PM. Reason: clairfy
Old 03-06-2023, 11:20 PM

Workman has a few coming up: Multi Day Trips - Coming Soon! — Workman Transportation & Travel
Old 03-07-2023, 08:41 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by badkarma318 View Post
Thank you for the link, unfortunately, there are no details, so I will try calling them to see what is included.
Old 03-07-2023, 08:43 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pairadocs View Post
You mentioned you've tried the local paper Sunday travel section. Probably, also those who advertise in the Villages neighbors magazine. I do remember when the local group called senior adventures did that trip. We wanted to go but the date didn't work out for us. However, a year or two later we planned the trip on our own for when our adult children were here to visit. We drove to Ft. Meyers (from south Fl originally so we have family in the area where we could leave our car) and took the Key West Express. I understand from their website they now also offer departures from Marco Island. Just a thought, call the number on their website ( 239-463-5733) and ask; Do you have any groups from the Villages who have reserved dates ? If not, maybe organize a group yourself ! ? When we took "the kids", it was such a nice trip. Their website also has an email link under "contact us", in case you don't want to call.
I thought I checked them, but will go back and look again, and you are correct that we did use this company in the past, so this may be the one i was looking for.
Old 03-07-2023, 05:40 PM
Platinum member
Location: Here, there, a lot of time in the Caribbean and keys, not much time spent in cold climates
Thanked 1,759 Times in 757 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
I thought I checked them, but will go back and look again, and you are correct that we did use this company in the past, so this may be the one i was looking for.
Anything additional you find, post it, if the dates work I think we'd love to do it again. The catamaran ride was a long one, but on a calm day in the gulf it is so pleasant !
Old 03-07-2023, 07:34 PM
Sage

Both Workman and Senior Adventures indicate trips in the October time frame, neither site had any details, so no idea if these will actually materialize...
I want to thank everyone for comments and ideas.
Old 03-07-2023, 09:52 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,132 Times in 812 Posts

A couple years ago we took that trip on our own.
We thought it would be nice to rent a convertible from Miami.
Drove as far as Key Largo for a overnight stay then down into Key West.

Some things to keep in mind if anyone does the trip on your own.
Make motel reservations ahead.
Don't do the trip on a weekend, traffic going South is crazy with party animals.
There's speed traps so watch your speed.

My own Summary:
Somehow the advertised arial views of the drive looks greater than the actually drive, all that open water.
Unless there's a bridge, a lot of water view is block by doons and mounds.
Key West is expensive, so bring the plastic.

Once was enough for me.
Old 03-08-2023, 04:41 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael g. View Post
a couple years ago we took that trip on our own.
We thought it would be nice to rent a convertible from miami.
Drove as far as key largo for a overnight stay then down into key west.

Some things to keep in mind if anyone does the trip on your own.
Make motel reservations ahead.
Don't do the trip on a weekend, traffic going south is crazy with party animals.
There's speed traps so watch your speed.

My own summary:
Somehow the advertised arial views of the drive looks greater than the actually drive, all that open water.
Unless there's a bridge, a lot of water view is block by doons and mounds.
Key west is expensive, so bring the plastic.

Once was enough for me.
in the past i've taken mini cruises to bahamas and key west to scratch that itch
Old 03-08-2023, 05:52 AM

We have a condo we own in Key West that we stay in when it isn’t rented. It is in old town within walking distance of the Truman Annex and Mallory Square. We either drive or fly with Silver Airways. The flight is inexpensive and quick. Once in Key West there is no need for a car. You will get the most reasonable rates on rentals April-October.
Old 03-08-2023, 06:44 AM
Default Key West

[QUOTE=villagetinker;2195231]A few years ago we took a tour, Bus from TV to Fort Meyers, Fort Myers express across the Gulf of Mexico, 3 or 4 nights in Key West, then bus ride in US 1 back to Miami, and then to TV.

AAA has/had a round trip to the Keys. We had a bus to Ft Myer and then the high speed catamaran to Key West and return. Spent 3 days at a nice hotel. AAA also had extra events available once in the Keys. We took a dinner cruise.
Old 03-08-2023, 07:57 AM

Senior Adventures in Lady Lake.
Old 03-08-2023, 08:27 AM

We used AAA a few years ago great trip
Old 03-08-2023, 08:27 AM

Go to the website for Workman Transportation; Senior Adventures; AAA; Glory Tours and there are some other bus companies -- the companies add trips all the time so do not just review what is advertised in the newspaper
Closed Thread

Tags
trip, tour, bus, fort, day

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.