Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Travel Forum (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/travel-forum-119/)
-   -   Which airport? (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/travel-forum-119/airport-147153/)

Cedwards38 03-14-2015 08:22 AM

If you can fly Allegiant Airlines to wherever you are going, you might want to also look into Sanford. Great fare prices!
https://www.allegiantair.com/

velcro 03-14-2015 08:58 AM

Thanks for all the help! I am a driver, I like the convenience of having my car.

SLPJR 03-14-2015 12:48 PM

Check out sanford airport!!

birdawg 03-14-2015 01:25 PM

We use allegiant to lehigh valley PA airport. just a half hour to north west jersey. Sanford is about a hour and fifteen

Carla B 03-14-2015 01:46 PM

Cheapest parking at Sanford is $12 a day, at least it was last summer. No off-site parking available.

asianthree 03-14-2015 02:34 PM

Use both. What ever deal is the best

JoMar 03-14-2015 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by velcro (Post 1028356)
Thanks for all the help! I am a driver, I like the convenience of having my car.

Ah, old school....lol

GatorFan 03-14-2015 05:11 PM

Long term parking is $10.00 day and very convenient. If you get a Sun Pass and set up automatic load, parking as well as all tolls are deducted. Takes me less than a hour to get to Orlando airport. I go to Wildwood on Hwy 301 and catch turnpike. Not having to stop for tolls is a great time saver.

doccrocker 04-10-2015 10:43 AM

Toll Charges

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carl in Tampa (Post 1028148)
Mapquest will tell you that the trip to Orlando airport is about one hour and seventeen minutes and the trip to Tampa International is about one hour and thirty-five minutes. What it doesn't tell you is that the trip to Orlando airport eats you up with tolls if you go on the Turnpike, which is the short way to go, and it is easy to get lost on the return to The Villages .

Regarding tolls, we drive into MCO (Orlando International) frequently on the turnpike (FL19) and it's about $5.50 each way using Sunpass, maybe $6 if cash. We usually use offsite parking at The Parking Spot and of course, that part adds up, but tolls are your least expense. I choose Orlando more than Tampa because, for my flights at least, it's usually lower in cost, and the construction work going to Tampa is a pain. It seems that at the rate they're going, the roads should be finished around 2026.

JoMar 04-10-2015 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by birdawg (Post 1028525)
We use allegiant to lehigh valley PA airport. just a half hour to north west jersey. Sanford is about a hour and fifteen

Allegiant requires you to be more flexible, doesn't fly every day and one flight a day when it does. We switched to Orlando, more flights, more flexibility and The Villages Transportation makes it easy. In fact, we no longer pick up friends or family, they take the van. I'm a driver, but why in the world would you drive for 50 miles, let you car sit for x days in order to drive 50 miles. Control issues? lol.

Barefoot 04-10-2015 10:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoMar (Post 1043419)
We switched to Orlando, more flights, more flexibility and The Villages Transportation makes it easy. In fact, we no longer pick up friends or family, they take the van.

Same here. We often have friends visit. One of the services that attracted us to The Villages was the Airport Van. It provides a 24 hour transportation service to the airport, with pick up at our house. So easy.

deestatham 04-11-2015 02:05 AM

What is a Sun Pass? And is it worth purchasing? I'm coming down to TV May 10-23 and then my husband and I are moving permanently in September. Can I purchase a Sun Pass ahead of coming down?

TeriZ 04-11-2015 02:08 AM

We just used "The Parking Spot" in Orlando for long-term parking. They have a shuttle which will take you to the terminal. Check their website for a coupon. We paid $6.00/day for open air parking.

Villager Joyce 04-11-2015 06:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deestatham (Post 1043465)
What is a Sun Pass? And is it worth purchasing? I'm coming down to TV May 10-23 and then my husband and I are moving permanently in September. Can I purchase a Sun Pass ahead of coming down?

A sun pass is an electronic device (transponder) that is adhered to your windshield. This is a simplistic explanation, but it basically acts like a prepaid credit card to pay tolls. You set up and fund an account. When the balance is at a predetermined amount, it replenishes itself from the credit card. Google surpass.com. Appears you can buy on line. Basically the same As Maryland's E-ZPASS.

Is it worth purchasing? If you use toll roads. Yes. We take toll roads to Orlando and Disney.

Greg Nelson 04-11-2015 07:20 AM

I'm taking the shuttle on the first of November. $35..plus $10 for taxi....fore!