Traveling for vacations/get aways/etc by car?

Closed Thread
Old 11-04-2019, 11:22 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,749 Times in 1,386 Posts
Default Traveling for vacations/get aways/etc by car?

I have always enjoyed driving and most of our US continental travel has been by car. Anything from a day trip to a month long explore/no time table/no schedule/vacation....and a few pound it out in 10-12 hours to get there locations.

I still enjoy the driving, however my ability to go more than 8 hours in one day has changed significantly over the past few years. My wife's tolerance for car travel has maxed out at about 5-6 hours in any one day.

So it takes us longer to go on the long haul trips. The one day hammer it out 10-12 hours has become two or more day to do.

We do not fly much anymore mainly because I do not "herd" very well. The fear of being airport/location stranded plays a major role these days.

Travel is still a significant part of our lives. We cruise a lot. And have incorporated an RV to some of our longer treks.

We feel fortunate at 83 and 82 to still be able to do it!

Has how you travel changed much in recent years. Just curious and something to talk about!
Old 11-04-2019, 02:04 PM

Before we headed for Florida this fall we spent two months travelling through Canada and in Alaska. Pulled a small camper, and planned 5 to 7 hour travel days. Renewed our interest and are planning several more "camping trips" in the future.

I refuse to fly anything but non-stop because of the worry of being stranded at an airport.

But I do like driving, wifey says it a control thing
Old 11-04-2019, 02:20 PM
Sage
Thanked 7,354 Times in 2,508 Posts

Wife and I have been taking long journeys in Europe by train these last two years as apposed to the car.
She loves it, but I still miss the 'stop and stay where you like' days when we drove everywhere.
Works out a lot cheaper though, as booking fares and hotels before leaving gets some really good deals come up.
We too are both in our eighties, but still enjoy our travels.
Old 11-04-2019, 02:31 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,591 Times in 5,188 Posts

Sorry, but I am probably an exception, and a Debbie Downer. I don't see any reason to travel. When I weigh the pros and cons, the cons always greatly exceed the pros. What a huge hassle, especially if you travel on an airplane. They treat you like second class sardines. Cruising seems to be mostly about getting ripped off and eating too much food, which is really not that great anyway. And, I hate to feel like a tourist where ever I go. If I want to see something, I'll get the DVD at the library. Just my opinion.
Old 11-04-2019, 03:04 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Cool

We have a large motorhome and travel anywhere from 4 to 6 months over the spring and summer. DUring our corporate life, we spent a lot of time in airplanes; flying between the US, Asia and Europe. After retirement, we wanted a less hectic way of traveling, so enter the motorcoach.

Of course, during the winter months, we take advantage of cruising.
Old 11-25-2019, 04:49 AM

The RV has been great for us, too. We love being able to stop anytime we want. We did a 3 week trip with our granddaughter last year to Mount Rushmore and the Badlands National Park. Got to stop at lots of fun places along the way. Don't love cruises as much because the port areas are always so crowded and touristy. But the RV is a nice way to relax and enjoy nature.
Old 11-25-2019, 07:16 AM
Gold member
Send a message via AIM to rjn5656

We prefer to fly rather than drive. Have been doing both land and cruise excursions lately in Europe. At this point in our lives, we spend a little more for upgrades on flights rather than fly economy. Makes a big difference.
Old 11-25-2019, 12:33 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
I have always enjoyed driving and most of our US continental travel has been by car. Anything from a day trip to a month long explore/no time table/no schedule/vacation....and a few pound it out in 10-12 hours to get there locations.

I still enjoy the driving, however my ability to go more than 8 hours in one day has changed significantly over the past few years. My wife's tolerance for car travel has maxed out at about 5-6 hours in any one day.

So it takes us longer to go on the long haul trips. The one day hammer it out 10-12 hours has become two or more day to do.

We do not fly much anymore mainly because I do not "herd" very well. The fear of being airport/location stranded plays a major role these days.

Travel is still a significant part of our lives. We cruise a lot. And have incorporated an RV to some of our longer treks.

We feel fortunate at 83 and 82 to still be able to do it!

Has how you travel changed much in recent years. Just curious and something to talk about!
Palm Coast, Florida, located 2 hrs. from The Villages. It is between St Augustine and Flagler beach.

Terrific restaurants, shopping etc. Hammock Beach resort nearby. Suggest you " Google ".
Old 11-25-2019, 12:34 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
Sorry, but I am probably an exception, and a Debbie Downer. I don't see any reason to travel. When I weigh the pros and cons, the cons always greatly exceed the pros. What a huge hassle, especially if you travel on an airplane. They treat you like second class sardines. Cruising seems to be mostly about getting ripped off and eating too much food, which is really not that great anyway. And, I hate to feel like a tourist where ever I go. If I want to see something, I'll get the DVD at the library. Just my opinion.
Wow, you don't know what you're missing.
Old 12-04-2019, 07:36 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

We fly, back and forth to TV. Have cars at both. Usually business class, and only non stop. We both traveled for work and don’t have airport issues. If we want to get away I take a travel position, work play works well for us.
Old 12-05-2019, 11:32 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,317 Times in 871 Posts

I used to be on airplanes when working...100 - 125 flights a year. When I retired decided not to fly and go visit what I flew over. My wife still prefers flying or hammer down to a destination. I prefer driving no more than 3 - 4 hours a day and never on highways, prefer back roads, exploring small towns along the way, and using goggle to understand what is in the area and go visit. End result, when we travel I will usually leave a week to 10 days before my wife (depending on destination) who will fly and I will pick her up at the airport (which is the only time restraint I have) ......return is the same way. Just got back from Europe, first time on a plane in 10 years, the only good thing about flying was we flew Business Class so from the time of push back to arriving at the gate was great, everything else sucked.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 12-05-2019, 01:54 PM
Veteran member

About 12 years ago hubby and I took our first cruise (4 or 5 nights to the Bahamas on Royal Carib's Majesty of the Seas out of Miami) and it changed my life. I have some food issues which have become more serious as I get older. I have always been afraid to travel out of the country for fear that I wouldn't be able to find food to eat. Cruising changed everything! I can go anywhere that a cruise ship goes. I eat breakfast and dinner on the ship and I can always go without lunch, if necessary, while we are off the ship (although it is not usually an issue). I are now Diamond on Royal Carib with almost 30 cruises sailed. And I love cruising so much that I became an agent with a focus on the cruise industry.

We have sailed with Dan's mom, his daughter and son-in-law, my sister and her hubs, lots of my nieces, and some friends. We are waiting for the new (first) grandchild to be old enough to cruise although that will be a while since he is just 4 months old. If you cruise you know that you can be busy all the time on a ship, if that is your thing, or you can sit around and read and look out at the water (which is my fave thing to do). Something for everyone! We just got back from a 12-night cruise from Rome to Athens with several stops in Greece and three days in Israel. Now I am planning our next trip (Norway Fjords and Arctic Circle) for June. Anyone want to join us?

kathy
Old 12-05-2019, 02:45 PM
Platinum member

Motorhome at least 4 months a year. Limit travel days to 300 miles between long stays and 200 on consecutive days on the road. Far cry from fifty years ago when I drove from Topeka to Myrtle Beach stopping only for fuel, food, and toilet.

Tags
day, travel, hours, car, 10-12

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.