AMERICAN AIRLINE WILL START CHARGING FOR CHECKED LUGGAGE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Closed Thread
Old 05-21-2008, 08:42 PM
Gold member
Default AMERICAN AIRLINE WILL START CHARGING FOR CHECKED LUGGAGE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is the latest news from the airline industry.

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/080521/ameri...eductions.html

In my experience usually when one airline does something they all follow suit. There are only a handful of times that I can recall when airlines have reversed there decision.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

HB
Old 05-22-2008, 01:08 AM
Veteran member
Default Re: AMERICAN AIRLINE WILL START CHARGING FOR CHECKED LUGGAGE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was just at the local airport yesterday and we asked about checking a second piece of luggage; we were told the first one was free but the 2nd luggage would be $35, starting next month. I forgot what airline it was (maybe Alaska or Horizon). I have no problem with that. Whenever I travel I take a very minimum amount and if I shop a lot, then I ship it home via ups or fed-x. Traveling light makes it so much easier & faster to maneuver around airports.
Old 05-22-2008, 01:17 AM
Gold member
Default Re: AMERICAN AIRLINE WILL START CHARGING FOR CHECKED LUGGAGE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CIB your first bag was free. What AA is planning on doing is charging $15 for your first piece in the near future. Some of the airlines are already charging for a second piece of luggage.

You are right it is easier to travel light. We have never sent anything home but on our last trip to South America we did pay $25 for an overweight bag.

Enjoy your travels.

HB
Old 05-22-2008, 01:03 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Re: AMERICAN AIRLINE WILL START CHARGING FOR CHECKED LUGGAGE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The baggage charge will be for domestic flights...I believe that international flights will still allow 2 checked bags BUT have the weight limit imposed
Old 05-22-2008, 04:15 PM
Veteran member

I only hope that all airlines will start enforcing the size limits and numbers of bags allowed into the cabin area. Think this might be a problem when they start charging for checked baggage. Haven't flown in a while but last time I did, I was amazed at what passengers would bring on board.
Old 05-22-2008, 04:39 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Send a message via Yahoo to renielarson

This is nothing new for Spirit Airlines. They've been charging for checked bags for some time now.
Old 05-22-2008, 10:14 PM
Gold member
Default Re: AMERICAN AIRLINE WILL START CHARGING FOR CHECKED LUGGAGE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have a very large pocket book, no not the largest this company makes. When I do not know what to do with the left over items I put them in pocket book. My pocket book has weighed over 35 pounds. My pocket book has never been weighed when we checked in.

I have seen larger carry ons weighed and if they are over the weight limit they have asked the passengers to take out stuff.

I do not recall who put out this ad but it showed a man putting on one layer of clothing after another on himself. I wonder if that is what we will all have to do next.

Bright, Sprint is not one of the airlines that comes into our local airport - so I did not know about that.

HB
Old 05-22-2008, 10:25 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Send a message via Yahoo to renielarson

HB

When we fly from Detroit to Orlando we use Spirit, Air Tran, or Northwest....with Spirit being my favorite. That's why I know.
Old 05-22-2008, 11:14 PM

I also travel as light as possible when I fly domestic. I take a larger pocket book to carry extra items such as snacks, book, etc. With gas prices continuing to go up, I can understand why airlines as well as everyone else are raising their prices. Only problem is salaries are not going up, so middle class is slowing going away.
Old 05-23-2008, 02:55 AM
Gold member

ssw that is so true. The middle class is disappearing.

Last night they had a mini special on dog owners who had to give up there dogs because they no longer could afford them. To me that is like giving up a member of your family. I felt so sad for those people.

HB
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.