American Cruise Lines - has anyone used them?

Closed Thread
Old 09-28-2021, 08:25 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,149 Times in 2,248 Posts
Default American Cruise Lines - has anyone used them?

I am looking for any information, good/bad, etc., on this company, they specialize in cruises around the USA. I have never been on a cruise, and thought one of these smaller ones might be a good first choice. Also, any comments regarding time of year for specific cruises would be good, like Alaska in winter may not be a good choice but summer is great, you get the idea.
Thank you in advance, VT
Old 09-29-2021, 06:32 AM
Default Good place to learn...

Take a look at CruiseCritic.com Lots of info on cruising.
Old 09-29-2021, 07:01 AM
Sage
Thanked 6,149 Times in 2,248 Posts

Thank you
Old 09-29-2021, 07:26 AM
Veteran member

I would choose a different cruise line for your first cruise, imo only, as a former first time cruiser who thought smaller would be better. I did one river cruise in Europe for Christmas Markets, which were amazing but the cruise itself was “meh”. It was a really nice cruise line too (AmaWaterways). The food was good, everything was nice and upscale but they’re all about being docked. Less about actually cruising. American cruise lines doesn’t get great reviews. I’ve never heard of them and I thought I knew all the cruise lines. Don’t rule out an ocean cruise for your first. Go with a trusted cruise line and base it on itinerary also knowing there’s so much to do and see on the actual ship and that part is fun too. At sea days are GREAT!! I used to be scared of them. Lol I’ve sailed, Cunard, Crystal, Norwegian, Celebrity, Azamara and Holland America. I have nothing but great things to say about all of them. Have never been on a giant mega ship though. I usually stick to 2500 max. And right now they aren’t sailing at full capacity so that’s good too.
Old 09-29-2021, 07:49 AM
Platinum member

I an the opposite of above. I much prefer river cruises. I like the smaller group of people. I like that dinner is usually 2 hours and you actually get to talk and get to know your fellow cruisers. there is none of the activities of the big cruises but I prefer the low key after dinner entertainment. on my Normandy cruise we had a talk by a war bride of WW II. we had a visit with a French family to learn about life in France. very interesting. another time the crew put on a show. by the time you are done, you pretty much know all your fellow passengers at least by sight and many very well.
Old 09-29-2021, 08:06 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnevie View Post
I an the opposite of above. I much prefer river cruises. I like the smaller group of people. I like that dinner is usually 2 hours and you actually get to talk and get to know your fellow cruisers. there is none of the activities of the big cruises but I prefer the low key after dinner entertainment. on my Normandy cruise we had a talk by a war bride of WW II. we had a visit with a French family to learn about life in France. very interesting. another time the crew put on a show. by the time you are done, you pretty much know all your fellow passengers at least by sight and many very well.
That’s exactly correct! It’s also what I didn’t like about the River Cruise. Lots of people prefer River Cruises. So funny, I ended up skipping dinner toward the end, due to the same people over and over. I like more options for dinner. Being able to decide if I want to eat AT dinner time or earlier/later or with someone or not, where do I want to eat, etc. For example, on my Crystal Cruise, I ate almost every night at the Sushi Bar, which is a Nobu restaurant. On Norwegian, they have a 24 hour Irish restaurant, which is where I ate almost every night. I rarely eat in the main dining room on cruises. I would do a River cruise again, if it was on the Rhine during Christmas Markets. Lol
Old 09-29-2021, 08:17 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,371 Times in 2,517 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnevie View Post
My wife has always wanted to do a Rhine cruise.
Me not so much.
May I ask what the dress code is for dinner etc.on these smaller craft?
I truly dislike formal, but if casual smart, I may surprise her this year!
Old 09-29-2021, 08:21 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Bills View Post
Me not so much.
Hey, guess what? You can surprise her this year!!! They don’t have a formal night to my knowledge. Most cruise ships have done away with those or they’re not required if they do have one. Definitely do the Christmas Markets on the Rhine. Your wife will be over the moon.
Old 09-29-2021, 08:21 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

River cruises and "regular" cruising are two totally different modes/venues/experiences.

Try both.

Regarding the "regular" cruise lines avoid the mega ships. Seek out the smaller ships, around 2000-3000 passengers max.
Old 09-29-2021, 08:30 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,371 Times in 2,517 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelevision View Post
Hey, guess what? You can surprise her this year!!! They don’t have a formal night to my knowledge. Most cruise ships have done away with those or they’re not required if they do have one. Definitely do the Christmas Markets on the Rhine. Your wife will be over the moon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
River cruises and "regular" cruising are two totally different modes/venues/experiences.

Try both.

Regarding the "regular" cruise lines avoid the mega ships. Seek out the smaller ships, around 2000-3000 passengers max.
Thanks for info.
Will look into the Market Cruises.
Sorry. Would never get on a large ship again.
One 'cruise' from UK to Far East on a troop ship, cured me of any further thoughts of rolling seas, and open waters!
Old 09-29-2021, 08:48 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

Quote:
Thanks for info.
Will look into the Market Cruises.
Sorry. Would never get on a large ship again.
One 'cruise' from UK to Far East on a troop ship, cured me of any further thoughts of rolling seas, and open waters!
It took me 20 years after my troop ship experiences over and back across the Atlantic, to get back on a ship again.

And have been hooked ever since....now we try to do at least 2 cruises per year.

For us, the only true escape from life's day to day drum beat.
Old 09-29-2021, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
I am looking for any information, good/bad, etc., on this company, they specialize in cruises around the USA. I have never been on a cruise, and thought one of these smaller ones might be a good first choice. Also, any comments regarding time of year for specific cruises would be good, like Alaska in winter may not be a good choice but summer is great, you get the idea.
Thank you in advance, VT
My wife and I would highly recommend ACL. We did 2 so far--Mississippi and Columbia.
We would never go on a large ocean going ship again. We did two and got sick (before Covid) and felt like cattle with 2,000+ passengers. ACL is expensive but worth the money with 100-150 passengers.
Old 09-29-2021, 01:26 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,038 Times in 5,330 Posts

Go on CC tons of info.

River cruise will be totally different than an ocean type cruise, depends upon what you would like.

We enjoy the different types of entertainment offered on a larger ship and think we might be bored on a river type cruise. We have been on ships with 4000 or so passengers and have no problem with it.

Find a good TA and be prepared to ask lots and lots of questions.

BTW river cruises are typically much more expensive.
Old 09-29-2021, 01:54 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Me not so much.
that's really all you need. there's no formal nights or anything.
Old 09-29-2021, 01:59 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu from NYC View Post
Go on CC tons of info.

River cruise will be totally different than an ocean type cruise, depends upon what you would like.

We enjoy the different types of entertainment offered on a larger ship and think we might be bored on a river type cruise. We have been on ships with 4000 or so passengers and have no problem with it.

Find a good TA and be prepared to ask lots and lots of questions.

BTW river cruises are typically much more expensive.

absolutely, different strokes for different folks. my son prefers the big cruises. for me the destinations on the river cruises are more interesting and I find the fellow travelers on river cruises generally feel the same way. and we had 5 course dinners every night with choice of entre. always a regional dish offered.
Closed Thread

Tags
good, cruises, choice, cruise, time

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.