Amsterdam

Closed Thread
Old 07-31-2017, 06:28 AM
Gold member
Send a message via AIM to rjn5656
Default Amsterdam

Will be going on a river cruise in Oct from Amsterdam to Budapest.

Will be getting to Amsterdam 3 days before cruise starts.

Plan on visiting the Anne frank museum.

Any other suggestions on things to see while we are in Amsterdam.

thanks
Old 07-31-2017, 06:51 AM

Amsterdam is a wonderful, walkable city. Lines at the Anne Frank museum are always long. Arrive as early as possible and expect a queue. Purchase an "I am Amsterdam City card" and use it for the Rijksmuseum, Van Gogh Museum, Rembrandt House and the Stedelijk Museum, and more as well as free public transport for the duration of your trip. The City of Amsterdam museum will give you a great overview of how the city developed and how it is today. Take a canal boat tour. There are free walking tours (Sandemans New Amsterdam Tours) which are informative and show you places not on the regular tours. Visit a cheese shop - sample and buy. Visit a coffee shop and indulge if you are inclined. With a little planning, you can see a lot in three days and enjoy this great city.
Old 07-31-2017, 09:30 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by newknees12 View Post
Purchase an "I am Amsterdam City card"...
Gets my vote - go on-line before you leave home and see where it lets you in, then you can plan your three days efficiently rather than jumping back and forth once you're there - although the trams are fun anyway.
Old 07-31-2017, 10:38 AM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,624 Times in 1,765 Posts

I bought my ticket to the Rijksmuseum which had an entry time on it at the Diamond Museum across the street. I was able to walk past a very long line and right in the door with my ticket. You could probably use the internet to schedule your entry times at this and other venues you wish to visit once you have your itinerary in place to avoid standing in long lines.

BTW, coffeeshops and coffeehouses Coffeeshops and Coffeehouses | DutchAmsterdam.com

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine

Last edited by manaboutown; 07-31-2017 at 10:45 AM.
Old 07-31-2017, 11:03 AM
Veteran member

Take the Hop Off Hop On Canal Boat.
Old 07-31-2017, 11:08 AM
Platinum member

Amsterdam is a city with more than 600,000 bicycles. They're everywhere, and the bike lanes are not as obvious as they should be. Please be extra careful. It's more frightening than the crazy bicycle messengers in Midtown Manhattan. We did a Uniworld Rhine river cruise in May, Amsterdam to Basel. It's was a really nice and memorable river cruise.
Old 07-31-2017, 11:19 AM

Did this cruise last October on Scenic Cruises and it was by far the best cruise we have been on. Budapest was absolutely beautiful and along with vienna were the highlights. Amsterdam is interesting and you have already got good advice on that city.
Old 07-31-2017, 10:35 PM

We spent a great half-day at the Netherlands Maritime Museum. Very informative displays of maps, navigational instruments, history and a few ships - best for people who like that kind of thing. Not crowded.
Rick Steves has a good guidebook for Amsterdam plus several free, self-guided walking tours.
Others have mentioned the plethora of bikes - here's what happens to a lot of them.
Old 07-31-2017, 10:56 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,624 Times in 1,765 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDCART View Post
Amsterdam is a city with more than 600,000 bicycles. They're everywhere, and the bike lanes are not as obvious as they should be. Please be extra careful. It's more frightening than the crazy bicycle messengers in Midtown Manhattan. We did a Uniworld Rhine river cruise in May, Amsterdam to Basel. It's was a really nice and memorable river cruise.
The bicycle paths share the sidewalks. The bikes have bells on their handlebars. If you hear one look out! You may be in their path.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 08-01-2017, 08:20 AM
Gold member

I used to travel to Amsterdam for business and fell in love with the city. You can't go wrong with the art museums, the tram system is a great way to get around, the canal boats are amazing, and most of the architecture is memorable. I particularly loved the Van Gogh Museum (when I first went there I hadn't done my homework and was looking forward to seeing "The Starry Night", and learned that it resides in the Museum of Modern Art in N.Y). A stroll through the Red Light District is fun, believe it or not (not for prudes though). And a dinner cruise on a canal boat is fun too. A great city of the world.
Old 08-01-2017, 10:45 AM

Hi, Amsterdam is an easy city to walk around and visit the various districts.
You can get tix for Anne Frank museum ahead of time. I would advise doing this.
The only other info I would suggest is to try their pancake, I do not recall what it is called. It is the size of a dinner plate and you order what topping you want.
If you can eat a pic foods, some Indonesian restaurants offer 20 plus or minus different dishes.
When I recall the names of the dishes I will post them.

Vicar of Dibley
Old 08-01-2017, 12:54 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VICAR OF DIBLEY View Post
Hi, ?..
If you can eat a pic foods, some Indonesian restaurants offer 20 plus or minus different dishes.
When I recall the names of the dishes I will post them.
Rijstaffel
Old 08-01-2017, 05:41 PM
Sage

there are free walking tours where you just give the guide a tip. we had a great one, a gal from Alaska! also i really enjoyed seeing Rembrandt's home and studio. of course the Keukenhoff Gardens are a must even if it isn't spring. buy your tickets ahead for the Anne Frank house...i waited almost three hours to get in but it was worth it...very moving. The Rijks museum is great and needs a few hours, also. i loved just strolling around and looking in the souvenir shops, as well. great photo ops in front of the Rijks museum.
Old 08-13-2017, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manaboutown View Post
The bicycle paths share the sidewalks. The bikes have bells on their handlebars. If you hear one look out! You may be in their path.
Oh so true! I was walking with an elderly friend and she was almost run over by a very rude and angry bicyclist. Keep looking over your shoulder.
Closed Thread

Tags
amsterdam, cruise, museum, anne, frank

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.