Amsterdam Hotels and Location?

Closed Thread
Old 03-09-2015, 02:13 PM
Default Amsterdam Hotels and Location?

We are planning a trip to Amsterdam in Sept. for 3 nights and would like to find a reasonable, good hotel (3 star), in an attractive part of Amsterdam that is centrally located and good for walking to see the sights, eating, cafes, shopping etc. Would like to hear any of your recommendations for hotels or what areas would be the best areas to be located in (Dam Square, Museum District, Rembrandtplein???)

Besides trying to find a nice hotel, I would also be interested in any recommendations as to what to do or see in the 3 days that we will be there.
Old 03-09-2015, 05:29 PM

There is a Radisson in the city that is very nice. There is another one out near the airport which is nice too and only a short train ride to the city center. There is a shuttle from the hotel back to the train station(under the airport).

Def. Ann Frank House (get tickets asap as there is a long line later in the day). Wander all over. It is a very walkable city. Canal ride, Rijksmuseum if you like old master paintings, find an outside cafe , there are a lot of them, and just people watch. It is my favorite place and would go back for my 3rd time as some point.

Happy travels
Old 03-09-2015, 07:01 PM
Sage

I rely heavily on Trip Advisor reviews. In Amsterdam I found Hotel V Nesplein, on a narrow non-auto street a few short blocks from Dam Square and the Red Light District. The rate was reasonable for Amsterdam. Air conditioning was quiet and reliable, it was a comfortable room, and the staff was wonderful.

And, if you haven't been there before, be wary of bicycles. They rule and have no regard for pedestrians. My favorite place was the Rijksmuseum.
Old 03-09-2015, 07:03 PM

We went last year and are going back in august. The Movenpick is a nice hotel near the central station where you can take "trolly" any where. Has a web site also Just Google it A great walking city. Definitely make reservation for Anne Frank house.
Old 03-09-2015, 07:51 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalecrenshaw View Post
We are planning a trip to Amsterdam in Sept. for 3 nights and would like to find a reasonable, good hotel (3 star), in an attractive part of Amsterdam that is centrally located and good for walking to see the sights, eating, cafes, shopping etc.

Amsterdam

don't be put off by the star rating - it's a gem of a place
Old 03-10-2015, 07:43 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Cool

Have stayed at the Marriott Hotel, which is very close to the museums, parks, canals and the center of the city. Everything is within a close walk, so you won't need a car... Depending upon when you are there, take a tour out to the Keukenhof to view the gardens and tulips...
Old 03-10-2015, 11:15 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalecrenshaw View Post
would also be interested in any recommendations as to what to do or see in the 3 days that we will be there.
As with so many cities, the best and cheapest way to see a lot of the attractions is to buy the card:

The I amsterdam City Card | I amsterdam

IAmsterdam comes in 24hr, 48hr and 72hr versions, at €49, €59 and €69, and includes public transport (24hr means it runs for 24hr from the time you first use it)

You can buy ahead of time and plan your days using the guidebook and map, thus avoiding wasting time once you are there.
Old 03-10-2015, 01:31 PM
Eternal Member

I'm a Trip Advisor person. So much good information with the reviews. You can go on and list areas and reviews will pop up. Then you can review the pro & cons for the hotels in the area.
Also Google best places to stay in Amsterdam.
Old 03-12-2015, 07:43 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonny View Post
I'm a Trip Advisor person.
Probably the most useful on-line travel resource - and usually very reliable, too.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.