Anniversary Cruise... Help

Closed Thread
Old 01-20-2019, 07:44 PM
Default Anniversary Cruise... Help

Was thinking of surprising my wife taking her to Paris, France on our anniversary but at 74 and have a hard time walking would like to just go over for a week and from what I hear there is a "Hop On/Off" bus that takes you around the city to different tours and events and sightseeing.

Can someone "please" tell me how hard it is to get around over there and ANY "particulars" that might help as we both are new at traveling but this has always been my wife's dream therefore want to give her this as a gift for our anniversary.

Just have no clue about languages, hotels, places to eat etc and have learned a lot thru "Expedia'Com" but your opinion / suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you
Old 01-20-2019, 09:19 PM
Veteran member

What a wonderful gift for your anniversary. Yes there is a HOHO bus and also a HOHO cruise on the Seine. Research Tripadvisor.com
Old 01-20-2019, 09:24 PM

Viking River Cruise ! From Paris, 8 days - WONDERFUL!!
Old 01-21-2019, 07:16 AM
Platinum member

What a nice surprise. We rented an apartment and spent two weeks in Paris in August. The metro is efficient and gets you everywhere. There are usually steps down in most stations. The bus system is good as well. We stayed in the Left Bank and loved that there were so many bistros, galleries, and small shops. I'd be happy to share some of our favorites if you would like to PM me. The HOHO bus would be good.
Old 01-21-2019, 08:02 AM

Viking cruise, Grand European Tour 14 days, 4 countries, 3 rivers plus 3 days in Prague. Easy on and off the ship. Bus tours were very accomendating. I’m and old fart too, so I say go for it before its to late. You wont regret it. Plus they also have 7 day cruise to Paris which is where you want go.
Old 01-21-2019, 09:10 AM
Veteran member

I’ve taken the Hop on Hop off buses in Paris and I’m not sure that’s the best option for you. They are open topped double decker buses, and there is not much to see from the first floor. If you have trouble with spiral stair cases this would be a challenge to get up and down to get off at any of the stops. If the weather is very hot or cold the outside seats on the top can get uncomfortable after awhile.

If you are used to subway travel in the US the Metro in Paris is pretty easy to navigate, but there are a lot of stairs and some walks to transfer lines are quite long.

A river cruise from Paris with the Paris add on, or some other all inclusive tour might be a better option for you. If you are set on getting your own hotel or apartment for the week look into the circle vision types day tours that put you on an air conditioned touring bus where you can see everything.
Old 01-22-2019, 04:29 PM

Thank you so much as I so much appreciate your help and advice.....Now thinking of booking thru Expedia.com and only hope this mess with airports is soon over with. Also looked at the River Cruises but found those super expensive and the Paris trip for one week around $3500 as we went to Maui on our 10th anniversary (last one) and had never rented a car before and found a nice condo 100 ft from ocean on "Home Away" for 2 weeks $75 day and rented a cheap "New" small car and had a blast...… just trying to figure out what's best as we have hardly ever traveled except on cruises and only wish I had started earlier. Now I have to worry about languages and exchanging Euro's for US and thinking maybe going back to Hawaii.... Decisions Decisions

Thanks again

Last edited by TwinTurboViper; 01-22-2019 at 04:35 PM.
Old 01-22-2019, 07:16 PM

I was in Paris The week after Thanksgiving. I used the hop on hop off bus. It is hard to get on and off. Sometimes it’s crowded and it’s hard to find a seat as well. I really wouldn’t recommend it if you have a hard time getting around. We did stay at a hotel that was within a 10 minute walk of the Louvre, the Musées Dorsay and other major locations. I’d recommend getting a hotel that is very close to the major attractions that you want to visit and then simply use Uber. I used it several times. it was very easy. I got door-to-door service for short distances from the hotel and they ran $5 to $13. I think that’s the best way to get around given your situation and if you have a limited mobility. Also, I’m 57 and even I never visit more than 2 sites a day. Have dinner at the Eiffel Tower and pay extra for a window seat. Romantic and your wife will love it. If you Uber, you can choose when you want to walk through places like the Garden if the Tuileries and not be tired. You’ll be able to enjoy your trip. I’ve been to Paris about 6 times. It is my favorite city in the world. Versailles has gotten really run down and the queens compartments are under renovation and have been for a few years and dates haven’t been given for completion. The gardens are really the only reason for the trip. There is little to no accommodation for the handicapped and I saw maybe one elevator. So many stairs there. If you’re dying to visit it, make a call. They have people who speak English. One thing you should spend time on is picking restaurants. Best food in the world. Take this chance to really enjoy the cuisine. That doesn’t necessarily mean super expensive. I remember my first trip to Paris I used a Frommers guide and went to some inexpensive places and the food was awesome. I took a tour this time to the Champagne region but there was some walking and standing. I think you could do it just don’t be too proud to tell them you need the elevator when they take you underground to visit the cellars. One more point. If you’re going all the way to Paris, consider 5 days there, then take the train to london. Can be there in 3 hours. If you are religious or catholic, the Vatican is amazing. So Rome could be a second alternative but it has far less to offer than london. Good luck to you.

I forgot to mention. I booked my hotel and airfare for two through Tripmasters Europe. Cost of about $2000 including a hotel that normally runs $400 a night. Breakfast included everyday. Yes. I only paid $1000 and my girlfriend ( girls trip) paid $1,000 for an entire week. It was also her dream trip and she was recently widowed. Look up Tripmasters Europe. They always have deals.

Last edited by Ronnie61; 01-22-2019 at 07:42 PM.
Old 01-22-2019, 07:36 PM
Sage
Thanked 7,355 Times in 2,508 Posts

I have no advice regarding HOHO busses.
I can say that if you are not a very confident driver, do not hire a car in Paris. The city roads are a nightmare
The metro is very good.
The food is good.
Parisians suck.
JMO
Old 01-22-2019, 08:21 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

We lived in Paris for 6 months. We took friends on the Hop On Hop Off. I recommend it IF you get on and don't hop off. Just ride it through to all of its destinations and decide on the way what you would be interested in revisiting. Then take Metro/taxi/Uber to those places. HOHO is good for an overview. But if you get off, you might be waiting a bit to get back on. Another option was the Seine river tour boat (not the dinner cruise, which is overpriced, plus you're busy eating so you miss half the sights). Take it in the evening. It goes up the Seine to the Eiffel Tower, and by the time it gets there, the tower is twinkling (for ten minutes on the hour). You don't have to "do" the whole city in a week. As another poster recommended, do some reading and pick two things to see per day. Taxis, by the way, are only available at taxi stands or through your hotel. So it's not like NYC where you can hail a taxi on the street. Metros will have steps. Depending on how well you can walk, you might have better luck with Uber. Metros and buses can be very crowded.

Paris can be magical, or it can be a nightmare. Try to go on the shoulder seasons. I would suggest fall, like September or October. May can be cold. April can be really cold! If you have other questions, PM me.
Old 01-23-2019, 07:34 PM
Default Thanks

Thank you...very interesting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie61 View Post
I was in Paris The week after Thanksgiving. I used the hop on hop off bus. It is hard to get on and off. Sometimes it’s crowded and it’s hard to find a seat as well. I really wouldn’t recommend it if you have a hard time getting around. We did stay at a hotel that was within a 10 minute walk of the Louvre, the Musées Dorsay and other major locations. I’d recommend getting a hotel that is very close to the major attractions that you want to visit and then simply use Uber. I used it several times. it was very easy. I got door-to-door service for short distances from the hotel and they ran $5 to $13. I think that’s the best way to get around given your situation and if you have a limited mobility. Also, I’m 57 and even I never visit more than 2 sites a day. Have dinner at the Eiffel Tower and pay extra for a window seat. Romantic and your wife will love it. If you Uber, you can choose when you want to walk through places like the Garden if the Tuileries and not be tired. You’ll be able to enjoy your trip. I’ve been to Paris about 6 times. It is my favorite city in the world. Versailles has gotten really run down and the queens compartments are under renovation and have been for a few years and dates haven’t been given for completion. The gardens are really the only reason for the trip. There is little to no accommodation for the handicapped and I saw maybe one elevator. So many stairs there. If you’re dying to visit it, make a call. They have people who speak English. One thing you should spend time on is picking restaurants. Best food in the world. Take this chance to really enjoy the cuisine. That doesn’t necessarily mean super expensive. I remember my first trip to Paris I used a Frommers guide and went to some inexpensive places and the food was awesome. I took a tour this time to the Champagne region but there was some walking and standing. I think you could do it just don’t be too proud to tell them you need the elevator when they take you underground to visit the cellars. One more point. If you’re going all the way to Paris, consider 5 days there, then take the train to london. Can be there in 3 hours. If you are religious or catholic, the Vatican is amazing. So Rome could be a second alternative but it has far less to offer than london. Good luck to you.

I forgot to mention. I booked my hotel and airfare for two through Tripmasters Europe. Cost of about $2000 including a hotel that normally runs $400 a night. Breakfast included everyday. Yes. I only paid $1000 and my girlfriend ( girls trip) paid $1,000 for an entire week. It was also her dream trip and she was recently widowed. Look up Tripmasters Europe. They always have deals.
Old 01-24-2019, 09:23 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Smile Worked in Paris

I was fortunate to work in Paris (LeDefence area) for a couple of years and would suggest a few things. 1.)go to Barnes and Nobel and buy a book on Paris and study its sites, transportation (e.g. Metro system), Restaurants, currency, etc. When you arrive you should be able ot know all about the city as though you had lived there. 2.) Do not use expensive taxi's as Metro system is great.3.) a good way to prepare for for the city is to take an American Express 1/2 day tour, sit in the front and mark on a city map the places you want to go back to,4.)If you elect to drive in the city which is not that hard remember the 3 rules of driving in Europe which we don't do in the US..(1) Don't look back and remember the driver, regardless where you are.. on the right always has the right away, (2) Don't drive in the passing lane unless you are passing someone, (3) signal when changing lanes.
I have driven into Paris on Sunday night and around the Arch and it was packed but remembered the "driver on the right always has the right way and it is like a dance where every one jus keeps moving to the right as they turn off the side streets, etc. If you intend to walk from site to site, you may want to mark the sites on a city map and identify the distances between sites with a ruler, etc and you will see that in some it is too long a distance thus the need to understand the Metro system. They really don't have violent crime at the level of the US but they have an abundance of "Pickpockets" so take the appropriate precautions to protect your money. Always count your change on the Metro as they do make mistakes..These are just some observations that may help. As far as a cruise is concerned I would be more interested in which ship to take since some of them are terrible and some really good. GOOD LUCK AND CONGRATULATIONS.
Old 01-24-2019, 09:59 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

You can buy metro tickets at a machine next to the turn styles in most stations. Be sure to hold onto your ticket until you exit the metro station at which you arrive, as you may be asked to present it at any time, even after leaving the train and walking to the exit. If you don't have it, you receive a fine.

Every metro station has steps down to and up from. Some have escalators, at least one, up by Montmartre that is five stories underground, has an elevator. I mentioned Uber or taxis because you said you had issues with walking.

If you take the metro, you will be mostly underground, seeing nothing. There is a public bus, #42. The 42 bus route begins at the Gare du Nord train station and cuts diagonally across Paris going through Place de la Opéra, past the grand Garnier Opéra, around Place de la Madeleine and Église Madeleine, through Place de la Concorde, up the lower Champs-Élysées, across the Seine on the Pont de l’Alma bridge, along the Left Bank quais of the Seine, through the Champs de Mars and around the Eiffel Tower. (Copied from the web site mentioned below.)

Bus #69 is another great route, going west to east across the city. Try this site and click on the links. It's a web site for apartment rentals, but it has useful information. https://www.parisperfect.com/blog/wp...original-8.jpg
Old 01-30-2019, 04:23 PM

Once again I VERY MUCH appreciate everyone's help. You've given me many ideas and suggestions that will be helpful.
THANK YOU
Old 01-30-2019, 06:03 PM
TOTV SPONSOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinTurboViper View Post
Once again I VERY MUCH appreciate everyone's help. You've given me many ideas and suggestions that will be helpful.
THANK YOU
Hi Twin Turbo Viper!
We would love to help you plan the perfect cruise!
Feel free to contact us, if you would like...

OmniTours
"Personalizing Group Travel"

Toll Free: 877-787-OMNI (6664)

Toll Free FAX: 877-787-6658

OmniTours - Personalizing Group Travel - Dance Cruises & Group CruisesOmniTours | Personalizing Group Travel – Dance Cruises & Group Cruises
Closed Thread

Tags
anniversary, hard, appreciated, greatly, dream

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.