Any Other Great Loopers in TV

Notices

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors

» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements

Old 11-15-2019, 10:09 AM
Sage

Default Any Other Great Loopers in TV

Did our first Loop in 1999-2000-with side trip to New Orleans & Texas--total 7700 miles

Old 11-15-2019, 10:16 AM
Gold member

Location: born Urbana,Il lived in Urbana Ohio for 65 years a house in Lake Deaton

I have looked into doing it but need a boat. Do you still have one? I kind of like the Nordic Tugs.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-15-2019, 10:30 AM
Sage

No sold the boat in 2005--Tugs are great, was boating over 20 years before buying our trawler--personally would never own a single engine boat, our starboard transmission croaked in Alpine , NJ--took two weeks & $14K to fix with a replacement that had to shipped from Ft. Lauderdale--Mack Boring sent a mechanic to pull our trans & install the replacement

Zero problems with the engines after cruising over 30K miles--plumbing was always a "head" ache--solved most of them by making all heads fresh water flush
Old 11-15-2019, 10:48 AM
Sage

Thought about it and even did some planning around it. At that time I had a 44 foot Jeanneau sailboat in the Caribbean. I did sell it in 2017 and was looking for a power boat to do the loop. But somehow decided to return to flying and that got in the way of boating. Can only justify one expensive hobby at a time.

Hummmmmmmmmmmmm, maybe I will fly the loop. That might be an interesting trip. Get an antique Aeronca or T-Craft and fly it low and slow. Stop at all the small airports and grass strips along the waterways. Now that is a plan worth considering.
Old 11-15-2019, 11:28 AM
Sage

After the loop , next year went to Montreal, Quebec, Nova Scotia, Third year did the entire Erie Canal , Finger Lakes--all of our trips started from Fl & returned to Fl, 4th year bummed around the Bahamas and wintered in Key west, 5 th year ended up in New Bern ,NC- and stayed there till we sold the boat
Great Loop
Old 11-15-2019, 12:58 PM

Default Great Loop

We did the Loop in 2001 leaving from Englewood Fl and returning to Englewood. We spent 7 months doing the trip, the only problem we encountered was on 9-11 when the locks were shut down for security purposes.We did the trip in a 45 ft Bayliner Pilothouse model and it was a great live aboard boat. After the trip sold the boat and bought a motor home.
Old 11-15-2019, 01:06 PM
Sage

We started in St.Pete--returned to St.Pete, just in time to vote in the 2000 election
Old 11-15-2019, 05:26 PM
Gold member

Location: born Urbana,Il lived in Urbana Ohio for 65 years a house in Lake Deaton

Quote:
Originally Posted by l2ridehd View Post
Thought about it and even did some planning around it. At that time I had a 44 foot Jeanneau sailboat in the Caribbean. I did sell it in 2017 and was looking for a power boat to do the loop. But somehow decided to return to flying and that got in the way of boating. Can only justify one expensive hobby at a time.

Hummmmmmmmmmmmm, maybe I will fly the loop. That might be an interesting trip. Get an antique Aeronca or T-Craft and fly it low and slow. Stop at all the small airports and grass strips along the waterways. Now that is a plan worth considering.
Had not thought about that! If others decide to do that, let me know as I do have a J-3 Cub and would love to fly with others as long as we don’t do it in winter.
Old 11-16-2019, 08:35 AM
Sage

I agree that it should be a summer time trip. I did some chart work on it and you could do it easy in a month and a half with lots of time to site see and only fly about 2-3 hours a day. (150 miles per day average) Probably have a few days of bad weather and some maintenance along the way. But I really think it would be a very interesting trip seeing it all from a couple thousand feet. Looks to be plenty of airports along the route. Saw only a couple places where you need to go off course to find an airport. And with Uber and Lyft getting to a local hotel and back should be easy.

I think it's at least worth studying some more.
Old 11-16-2019, 08:48 AM
Sage

We have done the great loop many times; Cincinnati, Columbus, Cleveland.

Last edited by graciegirl; 11-16-2019 at 10:13 AM.

Tags
trip, side, orleans, texas--total, 1999-2000-with