Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Travel Forum (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/travel-forum-119/)
-   -   Is anyone canceling travel plans due to the Coronavirus? (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/travel-forum-119/anyone-canceling-travel-plans-due-coronavirus-302033/)

Altavia 01-25-2020 05:42 AM

Good info here:

New Coronavirus from China FAQ

" Of the 17 people who have died during the current outbreak, most had underlying health conditions such as high blood pressure, diabetes or heart disease, said WHO Director General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus."

jacksonbrown 01-25-2020 07:47 AM

Your Chance of Dying From the Menacing Coronavirus That Now Threatens Global Human Populations Is 0.0000001137% - LewRockwell

Two Bills 01-25-2020 08:47 AM

The press and tv news channels are not going to down play the situation, bad news, over dramatised, increases fear in the general public, and sells lots more papers and advertising space.

KSSunshine 01-25-2020 09:33 AM

Catching the Corona virus in a foreign country doesn't sound appealing. We had planned to go to China in October 2020, but never got around to booking it. If we had, I probably would not have cancelled. I remember the SARS virus in early 2000s and still traveled to Trinidad as well as domestically. Lots of people on the plane wearing masks and elbow bump instead of handshakes. If you're going, purchase medical insurance for abroad. As others have pointed out, there are many vehicular deaths and we all still drive!

blueash 01-25-2020 10:41 AM

If this year is typical over 30,000 Americans will die of an airborne contagious disease. These deaths, just like coronavirus, can happen to anyone including healthy people but predominantly will occur in those with other health issues. And no one is telling you to cancel any travel plans in the US to avoid this highly contagious disease. And it happens every single year.

Now all we have to do is await the breathless coverage on TV calling for closing our borders to anyone from China and blaming the administration for not protecting us from this disease which will ravage our nation. But of course no responsible media would try to whip up panic like that would they? /s

manaboutown 01-25-2020 12:55 PM

An update from the BBC: China coronavirus spread is accelerating, Xi Jinping warns - BBC News

and CBS: China coronavirus outbreak: Hong Kong declares emergency and closes schools

ColdNoMore 01-25-2020 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blueash (Post 1712561)
If this year is typical over 30,000 Americans will die of an airborne contagious disease. These deaths, just like coronavirus, can happen to anyone including healthy people but predominantly will occur in those with other health issues. And no one is telling you to cancel any travel plans in the US to avoid this highly contagious disease. And it happens every single year.

Now all we have to do is await the breathless coverage on TV calling for closing our borders to anyone from China and blaming the administration for not protecting us from this disease which will ravage our nation. But of course no responsible media would try to whip up panic like that would they?

You are correct, no "responsible media" would push their long-held agenda...using this as a smokescreen. :oops:

As for this virus, here's hoping they get a handle on it...very soon. :(

bilcon 01-26-2020 10:24 AM

:bigbow::1rotfl:Just try and cancel your trip because of a scare of the virus and see what your travel insurance says.

asianthree 01-26-2020 01:54 PM

Hong Kong Disney closed, with no reopening date

manaboutown 01-26-2020 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by asianthree (Post 1712912)
Hong Kong Disney closed, with no reopening date

I think HK schools have been closed, too.

Also: 4th US case of coronavirus confirmed as death toll rises to 56 in China - ABC News

Kenswing 01-26-2020 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by manaboutown (Post 1712921)

Meanwhile as many as 20,000 have died from the flu this season. That's just in the U.S. Let's keep things in perspective..

2019-2020 U.S. Flu Season: Preliminary Burden Estimates | CDC

manaboutown 01-26-2020 03:23 PM

Virus-hit Wuhan has two laboratories linked to Chinese bio-warfare program - Washington Times

asianthree 01-26-2020 04:22 PM

[QUOTE=Kenswing;1712928]Meanwhile as many as 20,000 have died from the flu this season. That's just in the U.S. Let's keep things in perspective..

The post is are you or would you cancel travel plans. Not sure why perspective you need to stay in

manaboutown 01-26-2020 05:01 PM

I have two trips scheduled in February for my son and myself. I used miles to obtain nonrefundable tickets. I am considering driving two days rather than taking connecting flights over a single day.

This is why. Most of the flus and colds I have had over the past 30 years I have picked up on planes and in airports as I flew a lot, several years over 100K miles. I would much rather forfeit the miles and drive than pick up this pneumonia-like coronavirus on a plane or in an airport. I am 78 years old and have already had pneumonia twice. Therefore I am watching to see how this all develops.

Thanks to all of you who have replied sincerely with thoughtful opinions.

Bjeanj 01-26-2020 05:07 PM

From what I’m reading, this is spread just like the common cold and symptoms don’t appear from 1-14 days while still being infectious, so I’m guessing this is going to circle the globe in the next few months. How does one screen for a disease with no symptoms? With that being said, if I plan on traveling in the next little while, I believe I would rather drive than fly.

Why is it that so many diseases start in China, anyway? Or is that a misperception on my part?